Getting a Uni degree

VY, you're living in the past, man. The days where a Uni grad could walk out of the revered halls of higher education into a job related to their field are long gone.

You are a brave man to discard an institution that been around for centuries and a proven way for people to go places.

some people missed the whole point of going to Uni, yes your main aim is to get a better paying job but Uni is more than that...it is a place where like mind people concentrate, with that much brain power, innovation start to emerge.

it where you start developing into adulthood and make friends and network connection that could last a life time or go on developing life changing business

there would be no Google or Microsoft or facebook if it wasn't for Uni that bought all these great minds together... Almost all the largest tech company in the USA has its life hatch at Uni, be it students or staff.... CISCO, SUN, Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc..

they dropped out of Uni because of business demand but Uni is where they meet the right people and form the right ideas and start the innovation.

Hi Wirra, if I had my time over, I would have done a trade, for sure. I will be encouraging my nephew to ditch school ASAP and get a trade.
I'm sure there was a thread which had this line of conversation in it here before on SS.

I reckon there are worse decisions than; get the kids into a building trade, and teach them money management and property investing and they would smash it (financially) by 40 years old.

I think it depends on the kid, not everyone is suited to a trade.

I'd love to have both. I'd be a carpenter. Or painter -still might be.
But if you're going to do a trade, make sure you get a job, keep it, work hard, invest early. Prob will be a bit bored after 40.
Might have to go to uni.

It's a personal thing anyway. Some people are trade oriented. Some are studious. Some have both. I have a relative who is almost at retirement age and taking up on all sorts of courses (non-trade). He would struggle to change a light bulb and has no interest in any trade/technical type work.

I will encourage my kids to get a formal education. They are also doing 2 sports/ 2 music instruments etc...If they have a passion and want to pursue another path, then that's fine too. However, it can't be a reason like "Uni is too hard/waste of time, so I'll do a trade".

I think it depends on the kid, not everyone is suited to a trade.
True.

But if you have a kid who has no idea about what career to head to, and has a bit of handy-man/woman ability; it could be the path to pursue.

Even if they only did it for say; 10 years and then moved to another path.

You are a brave man to discard an institution that been around for centuries and a proven way for people to go places.

some people missed the whole point of going to Uni, yes your main aim is to get a better paying job but Uni is more than that...it is a place where like mind people concentrate, with that much brain power, innovation start to emerge.

it where you start developing into adulthood and make friends and network connection that could last a life time or go on developing life changing business

there would be no Google or Microsoft or facebook if it wasn't for Uni that bought all these great minds together... Almost all the largest tech company in the USA has its life hatch at Uni, be it students or staff.... CISCO, SUN, Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc..

they dropped out of Uni because of business demand but Uni is where they meet the right people and form the right ideas and start the innovation.

So you are saying a young man or women doing an apprenticeship will not develop friendships, or develop life skills, that could also develop into a business strategy?
I think your a "Brave" Individual for this statement.

Ive partied at quite a few university dorm room's over my years here in Australia and Overseas, and Im telling you they are not worried about becoming the next Billionaire, they are worried about where they are going to get food at 3am in the morning and where their next shag is coming from.

Wether an Apprenticeship or a degree, all skills learned are valuable in todays society.

and if your main aim by going to uni is to get a higher paid job, than sad to say a Trade will trump you 98% of the time.

Just ask all my Offshore Trade counter-parts and my good mates in the cities trying to apply their Human Movement degrees.

In the End, Each to their Own.

As I mentioned earlier, a Uni degree is not what it used to be. Blue collar jobs have all but gone offshore and now middle class white collar jobs are doing the same.

Sceptical Mr. Fab is sceptical. Do you really believe that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, et al wouldn't have built their companies had they not spent any time at Uni?

What about all the other people that have created businesses without a formal education? Did they all just fluke it?

Here is a list of people who managed to perform great things throughout history without having a formal education:

- Abraham Lincoln
- Benjamin Franklin
- Paul Keating
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Buckminster Fuller
- Elon Musk (who once stated "I find universities a very slow place to learn things.")

To suggest that Gates, Zuckerberg, Jobs and Wozniak would not have been successful had they not gone to Uni is really stretching it. Personally, I think such a suggestion is an insult to their intelligence, drive and ambition. How do you explain all the I.T. entrepreneurs (heck *any* successful entrepreneur) who didn't attend University?

In all likelihood, those people who dropped out of College to build their businesses more than likely did so because University was holding them back.

You might want to suss these links:

http://listverse.com/2013/01/20/10-poorly-educated-but-incredibly-successful-people/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...le-or-no-formal-education--qampa-many/1116224

http://collegedropoutshalloffame.com/ <--- this site has hundreds of examples

http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

As I mentioned earlier, a Uni degree is not what it used to be. Blue collar jobs have all but gone offshore and now middle class white collar jobs are doing the same.

Sceptical Mr. Fab is sceptical. Do you really believe that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, et al wouldn't have built their companies had they not spent any time at Uni?

What about all the other people that have created businesses without a formal education? Did they all just fluke it?

Here is a list of people who managed to perform great things throughout history without having a formal education:

- Abraham Lincoln
- Benjamin Franklin
- Paul Keating
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Buckminster Fuller
- Elon Musk (who once stated "I find universities a very slow place to learn things.")

To suggest that Gates, Zuckerberg, Jobs and Wozniak would not have been successful had they not gone to Uni is really stretching it. Personally, I think such a suggestion is an insult to their intelligence, drive and ambition. How do you explain all the I.T. entrepreneurs (heck *any* successful entrepreneur) who didn't attend University?

In all likelihood, those people who dropped out of College to build their businesses more than likely did so because University was holding them back.

You might want to suss these links:

http://listverse.com/2013/01/20/10-poorly-educated-but-incredibly-successful-people/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...le-or-no-formal-education--qampa-many/1116224

http://collegedropoutshalloffame.com/ <--- this site has hundreds of examples

http://elitedaily.com/news/business/100-top-entrepreneurs-succeeded-college-degree/

Well Said! +1

- Abraham Lincoln
- Benjamin Franklin
- Paul Keating
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Buckminster Fuller

Now put up the list of people who didn't have a formal education and didn't achieve a damn thing.

I think I'll walk away from this thread whilst I'm still reasonable...

The image works best if you click on the thumbnail. :)

Attachments

• Angry-Typing.gif
    Angry-Typing.gif
    260.9 KB · Views: 65

The image works best if you click on the thumbnail. :)

I don't get into flame war and go tic for tac ...people can response and interpret how they like, not my style to get into forum war ...I am here to learn and make the cash not to get into fruitless argument.

There are plenty of ways to make money trade, uni, stockmarket, properties each will find their own way :D

Trades are only able to get such high salaries in Australia because our immigration system is very restricted.

Our immigration system favours immigrants with degrees?

I dont understand how a 'looser' immigration system will favour those with degrees over those without.

Now put up the list of people who didn't have a formal education and didn't achieve a damn thing.
hahaha no-one ever thinks of that :p

yeah, it only takes one and then we're off. I don't think it's gone yet but when ^8)@, %!!% or #-$# join in, it'll be too late to get out clean.

What this shows me is that its is ALL ABOUT THE PERSON.
Its not trade vs uni - its just the person. That's it. Some people make it, some don't... doesn't matter what they have (or didn't have).

To quote Doc Brown "Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one. "

Our immigration system favours immigrants with degrees?

I dont understand how a 'looser' immigration system will favour those with degrees over those without.

No, our immigration system favours very limited immigration. I'm not sure how many six figure earning tradies you'll find in Europe, for instance.

For the average dufus (me) you can't beat a uni education. I'm never the guy that would start some great startup and make millions, yet I still live in a great suburb and can afford to ski os, private schools, us trip (in Thailand now).
Not to bad a life but was the dopey kid at school

Back