Granny flat at rear of duplex pair

yeah these would be your subdivision options (attached).

can fit good 4x2 product on both, nothing wrong with tandem garages on the 7.5m block. (again, attached, 300sqm 7.5m wide.)

Thanks for the info Aaron and Westminster. Looks like I'll park the GF behind the current duplexes idea and consider how and when to act on the uneven development.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster with a crazy idea that I'd appreciate some feedback about.

I am about to settle on a 2x1 duplex pair in Yokine, and anticipate a gross rental return of $620/week. The units are in average condition (built ~1975). The block is 769sqm and zoned R30 (duplex potential). I had been considering holding for a few years and developing 2 side by side dwellings which I'd then continue to lease out. This will require a big (~500k?) outlay in the future.

With all the discussion about granny flats, I am now wondering about the feasibility of constructing a granny flat at the rear of the property. I understand (from reading the forum) that a granny flat can be erected for around $100k. What do you think this could rent for? I would also consider renovating the existing units to improve the the rental potential. I guess the idea behind all of the items in this paragraph is a view to turn the property cash flow neutral with minimal (~150K) outlay.

Has anyone else has experience in this regard? Do you think the granny flat idea is worthwhile, or should I continue with my original idea of a side by side development in the medium term future.

Thanks to everyone for your participation in this great forum.

Tim
I think a cheap reno would be worth it. Eg Paint, possibly paint over kitchen (is it brown laminate cupboards with orange top?) Plain white tile.

Hi Sasquach and thatbum,

Reading this with interest!!

I have a R20 1012sqm duplex in Kewdale that has two side-by-side 2x1s. Yes I have contacted Aaron recently :p

Perhaps when time comes we can build granny flats in bulk :D

I think a cheap reno would be worth it. Eg Paint, possibly paint over kitchen (is it brown laminate cupboards with orange top?) Plain white tile.

Yes a paint job and a good clean would go a long way. Kitchen and bathrooms are functional but dated.. thankfully not orange though! Having said that, the bathrooms are salmon pink. :eek:

Evan1875, I like your thinking. May be a while though.

Hi Sasquach and thatbum,

Reading this with interest!!

I have a R20 1012sqm duplex in Kewdale that has two side-by-side 2x1s. Yes I have contacted Aaron recently :p

Perhaps when time comes we can build granny flats in bulk :D

Sounds like you might be onto a winner with side by side subdivision and dual granny flats!

FYI - Spoke to RE Agent about whether it was worthwhile to do the uneven subdivision with GF option. He indicated that an even subdivision would be a better result for capital appreciation.

Guess I'll see if capital appreciation or rental income is more important when the time comes.

Sanj - Yeah I think I got a good price. More good luck than good design. :)

Back