Had a bit of road rage this morning..

I Understand where Bayview is coming from.
Myself working day/arvo/graveyard shift, i see where he's coming from.
Seriously i put up with hoons ,talegating,flashing etc>Yes LOL running in front of my car halfnaked LOL.Then theres ,high beaming me etc,i put on the flasher if someone is tailga8ting,highbeam etc to get there time to have valium.Part n Parcel-Nightshift...

just to get this right... you want them to undertake you because you want to sit in the right hand lane? maybe I have found one of the people I want to throttle on my daily commute!

I wish you guys would read the posts correctly....

I'll explain it one more time, just for you and the other dude who read it wrong;

The situation I describe is when i am in the right hand lane TO OVERTAKE. At this point I am doing more than the normal speed limit, or very near it (but still over)

The hoon comes flying up my backside, sits on it and uses this as a sign that I should get out of his/her bloody way quick smart. They are quite able to overtake on the inside if they wish in most instances, but no; they are simply a tool with no manners or brains for danger.

His/her attitude is what sets me off, and THEN I play my little game with them to **** them off for a while.

I then eventually get over to the left (where I always drive) and give them the nice stare as they come up level.

They are usually looking across at this point with looks that could kill, and usually turn away pretty quickly when they spot me staring back.

great fun.

I drive the F3 most mornings. I sit at 116km on my speedo, which is 109 in the real world.
That's very clever.. problem is, not everyone is as smart as you and realises this difference.
I sit in the left hand lane and go past dawdlers in the middle lane all the time.
They're dwardling because when they look at their speedo it tells them they're doing the speed limit? :confused:
I use the left hand lane because I don't want to hold up people going faster than me.
So you'd rather be "courteous" to people breaking the speed limit at the risk of causing an accident in the left lane with some innocent chap who thinks he's sitting on the speed limit?
If I can go past in the left hand lane, you can be in there as you are doing below the speed limit.
Why can't you comprehend this is dangerous? You're effectively sneaking into people's blind spot. All you need is someone to merge left without doing adequates checks and wammo!
It isn't rocket science. It's just arrogance and stupidity.
I totally agree.

His/her attitude is what sets me off, and THEN I play my little game with them to **** them off for a while.

I then eventually get over to the left (where I always drive) and give them the nice stare as they come up level.

They are usually looking across at this point with looks that could kill, and usually turn away pretty quickly when they spot me staring back.

great fun.

Yeah but one day you might meet a psycho who'll come after you and do god knows what! But I know where your coming from. Sometimes I get pissed off with tailgaters. I'm going right on the speed limit of 60 and they are right up my bum. I get annoyed and think ok arseho*** f*** you I'll do 50... see how you like that! Often they have the opportunity to overtake but for some reason they wont overtake me they seem to maybe enjoy tailgating me I dunno.

Sometimes if there is only just that car and myself on the road and they are tailgating I'll move over to the centre lane just so as to get the hell away from the p***, then I'll move back into the left lane once they have sped off ahead. haha :D

There are two issues at play here, separate from one another.

The first is the issue of personal space, which is what triggered this whole thing, because people perceive different levels of personal space at different times for different reasons.

For example, when you are with your partner, you are both intimate and share personal space. When she touches you/gets into your personal space, you don't mind or get upset because it is socially appropriate.

If you are out on the street walking and someone walking next to you keeps on bumping into you or enters your personal space, it is socially inappropriate and people tend to get upset.

When you are in your car, something weird happens - your sense of personal space, and the actions of others, changes. You feel as if you "own" a part of the road, "own" a few meters, or have the "right" to your lane or whatever you're going to do.

In real life, you probably feel like you own, say, 50cm all around you. If someone invades that space, you may feel uncomfortable or angry. In your vehicle, that distance isn't 50cm - it might be something like 10m.

So anyway, my point is that the trigger of all of this wasn't neccessarily you changing in some way recently, it was how you reacted to someone doing something dumb in your personal space, particularly when feelings of danger are added because you conciously understand that having an accident at 100km/hr might kill/hurt you.

What I would like you to think about is - if someone invaded your personal space stupidly and repeatedly in real life by, say, bumping you as you were walking in a shopping square and stepping on your foot a couple of times - would you or would you not arc up at the guy and maybe tell him off, and if he gave you the finger (as the passenger did) would you or would you not maybe turn around and offer him out in the carpark/punch him on the nose on the spot?

As for what your coworker said about you being a nice guy who didn't like upsetting people - that is probably true, with a missing sentence after it that says "and you expect them to treat you the same or Lord help them".

The other thing to think about is that you are the product of the people in your surroundings. Your attitude will mirror theirs. If you hang out in a boxing ring where the language of the day is aggression, violence, male competition/pecking order stuff, then you will be far more prone to view the world in that way and behave like that more of the time. That's one of the reasons I don't watch UFC or fights - it infects my personality and makes me more prone to violence, because I naturally like conflict (playful conflict and exchanging funny insults, preferably) and it makes it easier to make stupid decisions in the heat of an emotional moment because my mind is speaking in terms of exchanging kicks to the head instead of rational dialogue.

Btw if you're interested in this kind of psychology or just want to learn what makes you think what you do when you think it (that then manifests in actions) have a quick read up on evolutionary psychology and something called triune brain theory - which in a nutshell says that the human brain effectively functions as 3 separate brains overlapping one another, with different levels of consciousness. One of them is your rational, thinking brain that allows you to post on this forum using your fingers as tools, the other is your subconscious ie the little voices in your head, and the last is your reptilian brain, which governs fight or flight responses.

As a fighter in a place like Darwin (aka land of the knuckle draggers who will punch you for standing there wrong) you should have noticed that people halfway through a brawl can't talk or form sentences properly (which is how you know the guy who is arguing with you is about to hit you, so you better hit him first) - that's because their rational thinking brain is taking a backseat to their reptilian brain.

Anyway reading about this stuff is really good for in the moment introspection, which helps you understand the changes in your thoughts/emotional state which then allows you to identify when you're about to lose control and to step back from the situation.

Alternatively you learn some sneaky tricks during a fight, which is to ask a guy a complex question like "what's the date today?" just before you punch on - as his brain switches gears from reptilian back to rational, he is vulnerable and won't respond as well when you throw a round kick ;)

I follow the road rules.

There is nothing illegal about keeping left. I am not going to zig zag across the road to cater for the terminally brain dead.

And how is the blind spot to the left any different to the right?

The only near miss I have had recently is passing a car and being in the right hand lane and coming across someone sitting at about 70 in the right hand lane.

Alternatively you learn some sneaky tricks during a fight, which is to ask a guy a complex question like "what's the date today?" just before you punch on - as his brain switches gears from reptilian back to rational, he is vulnerable and won't respond as well when you throw a round kick ;)

lol :D hahaha

When you are in your car, something weird happens - your sense of personal space, and the actions of others, changes. You feel as if you "own" a part of the road, "own" a few meters, or have the "right" to your lane or whatever you're going to do.

To me, "personal space" when driving is to keep at least 2 seconds back from the car in front - whatever the speed.

It's also a safe way to drive for everyone around you.

I see many, many times people driving at 100+km/h on the freeway, with some idiot sitting about 10 metres from their bumper bar - and less.

To finish off; my little game with these brainless hoons (and they are both male, female, young and older) is my little attempt to hopefully bring them into line where clearly the law hasn't been able to.

We really, really need way more cops out there.

It's amazing how many brake lights go on as soon as the old blue and whites are visible up ahead.

And way more unmarked cars are needed too.

Instead of spending millions on those useless TAC ads that have no impact whatsoever; put a few more thousand (police) jobs into the system with the funds

I wish you guys would read the posts correctly....

I'll explain it one more time, just for you and the other dude who read it wrong;

The situation I describe is when i am in the right hand lane TO OVERTAKE. At this point I am doing more than the normal speed limit, or very near it (but still over)

The hoon comes flying up my backside, sits on it and uses this as a sign that I should get out of his/her bloody way quick smart. They are quite able to overtake on the inside if they wish in most instances, but no; they are simply a tool with no manners or brains for danger.

great fun.

yep re-read it and nothing changes the interpretation. You are deliberately staying to the right for longer than necessary in order to aggravate other drivers - drivers who probably haven't got all merry day to play games with you and actually have somewhere to be. I think this is the most frustrating part of these things... I wouldn't care how you were looking at me or what you thought or if you were havign a fun time, eod I just want to drive to get somewhere. Usually this ends up as darting all over the freeway from left to right like a mad chook and sure enough there'll be a speed camera right as you are trying to squeeze between some tool and everyone will be 'tut tut you deserved that one you child murderer'

but let's not get too wound up and have online road rage - I've never even seen your car remember :)

drivers who probably haven't got all merry day to play games with you and actually have somewhere to be.
So does this give them the right to be rude, disrespect other drivers and the road rules, just because they are in a hurry?

Yep; it's all about them, of course - it's an "all about me" world, now; where noone has to be courteous, respectful, law abiding etc. We can all just be rude, selfish p.r.i.ck.s and endanger other people's lives into the bargain.

I'm in a hurry most often myself, but I can still manage to stick to the speed limit, and can still manage to go around the slower and inconsiderate drivers who are in the wrong lane, without sitting on their @rze, or blaring the horn, or flashing the headlights to tell them to get out of my way because I'm more important than them.

I think this is the most frustrating part of these things...

What; because of people like me trying to p.i.z.z you off because you are one of the above, or because you are always in such a hurry and are being held up by drivers doing the speed limit while you want to speed and break the law?

Look, I don't admit that what I do is the right thing to do - it clearly isn't, but I don't apologise for what I do; those turkeys deserve every bit of it - and more.

But, I don't care that what I'm doing is frowned upon by some of you here; because these idiots who speed, abuse others and think they own the road need to have their heads pushed back in a few notches, and I'm more than happy to be doing that, or at least spoiling their day. :D

So does this give them the right to be rude, disrespect other drivers and the road rules, just because they are in a hurry?

Yep; it's all about them, of course - it's an "all about me" world, now; where noone has to be courteous, respectful, law abiding etc. We can all just be rude, selfish p.r.i.ck.s and endanger other people's lives into the bargain.

I'm in a hurry most often myself, but I can still manage to stick to the speed limit, and can still manage to go around the slower and inconsiderate drivers who are in the wrong lane, without sitting on their @rze, or blaring the horn, or flashing the headlights to tell them to get out of my way because I'm more important than them.

What; because of people like me trying to p.i.z.z you off because you are one of the above, or because you are always in such a hurry and are being held up by drivers doing the speed limit while you want to speed and break the law?

Look, I don't admit that what I do is the right thing to do - it clearly isn't, but I don't apologise for what I do; those turkeys deserve every bit of it - and more.

But, I don't care that what I'm doing is frowned upon by some of you here; because these idiots who speed, abuse others and think they own the road need to have their heads pushed back in a few notches, and I'm more than happy to be doing that, or at least spoiling their day. :D

No it does not.

It also doe not give you the right to drive illegally and dangerously like you said you did, just cause they have.

We aren't frowning upon you for getting annoyed at idiots being dangerous.

We're just suggesting, that even if you don't notice, what you're doing in response to these fools, is defined as dangerous too

I don't think some people understand why when we drive on the left & have the steering wheel on the right, and therefore, the "point" about dangers of overtaking in the left lane goes over their head

Don't worry about me though, I'm from Perth... which means I can't even merge FFS

I don't drive so I can't be accused of being one of those speeding own-the-road turkeys, but trying to teach other drivers lessons by intentionally 'spoiling their day' seems kind of... dangerous. Intentionally p*ssing other drivers off would only encourage more erratic driving, no? And then there's always the possibility of being beaten to death with a steering wheel lock.

It doesn't mean 'lots of love'?
Drats, there i was thinking i was a bit of a ladies man, when all the time they were just taking the p$ss...

Your just like the doctor who heard one of his elderly patients pet dog had died, so he sent her a message of condolence via SMS

"Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you are ok LOL"

Woops, here's hoping both thought it meant Lots of Love :eek:

Back