HELP..Tickets to Malasia bought, now having 2nd thoughts travelling with Baby

Just don't go to places with lots of illegal immigrants. They are quite dangerous and it is very common in Malaysia for people on motorbikes to snatch your handbags. Always stay away from the roadside especially if you are a woman.

Just don't go to places with lots of illegal immigrants. They are quite dangerous
In what way, do you have any articles showing this to be so?

and it is very common in Malaysia for people on motorbikes to snatch your handbags.
Very common? What % of the 28,728,607 population get their bags snatched daily? Would it be as high 0.00008% (thats 22 a day)

Aaron, you make me a single male feel scared, the way you described it sounds like walking around The Bronx in the 80's or something on your own with visible signs of having lots of money in your pockets

I travel to Malaysia all the time. I have family there who tell me about this as well. So I am not making it up - and I don't need a study or a survey to prove it. This is why most people do not walk to places in Malaysia - they drive even if the distance is not too far.

I travel to Malaysia all the time. I have family there who tell me about this as well. So I am not making it up - and I don't need a study or a survey to prove it. This is why most people do not walk to places in Malaysia - they drive even if the distance is not too far.

Just saying...

I travel to Malaysia all the time. I have family there who tell me about this as well. So I am not making it up - and I don't need a study or a survey to prove it.
I know it happens as I have heard about it as well, but never seen it, but I doubt the chances of it happening are as high as you would have us believe.

This is why most people do not walk to places in Malaysia - they drive even if the distance is not too far.
Nothing to do with the heat and poor footpaths?

Nothing to do with the heat and poor footpaths?

No doubt it plays a part. But my girlfriend is from there and she doesn't even ride a bike for those very reasons. Malaysia is a very pretentious place - it looks fine on the outside with the glitzy twin towers etc but once you scratch the surface you won't like it much...

No doubt it plays a part. But my girlfriend is from there and she doesn't even ride a bike for those very reasons. Malaysia is a very pretentious place - it looks fine on the outside with the glitzy twin towers etc but once you scratch the surface you won't like it much...

Never liked KL, prefer Penang, Melaka and Johor.
I was often told we would be robbed in Johor always by people who dont live there, singaporeans being the worst, but we never had a problem.

I think social media has a lot to answer for because the numbers show that bagsnatches are hardly worth worrying about, unless you are the one standout, flaunting the wealth and an easy target.
Blend in and be aware and its a non issue.

Just don't go to places with lots of illegal immigrants. They are quite dangerous and it is very common in Malaysia for people on motorbikes to snatch your handbags. Always stay away from the roadside especially if you are a woman.

Three years living in Penang with a lot of expat friends.

I knew one person that had this happen to them.

If you want to go somewhere like Australia then choose NZ.

Cheers,

Well that's a shame..... what;s the point of going there, muight as well knock that country off the list :confused:

Well that's a shame..... what;s the point of going there, muight as well knock that country off the list :confused:

Facts are facts. If you're going there as a foreigner, stay in the touristy areas like Bukit Bintang. There is a lot of poverty in Malaysia so stay away from the poor areas...why does everyone have to try and correct me for saying the truth?

Facts are facts. If you're going there as a foreigner, stay in the touristy areas like Bukit Bintang.
Bukit Bintang's a dump IMHO, have you ever been outside this area? There is so much more to Malysia than a strip of overpriced shopping malls and hotels pandering to westerners.
Much better to stay outside the tourist areas as usually, these areas are much more authentic providing a better Malaysian experience and food.

There is a lot of poverty in Malaysia so stay away from the poor areas...why does everyone have to try and correct me for saying the truth?
Because you assume that all poor people are bad when this is simply your prejudice.

Bukit Bintang's a dump IMHO, have you ever been outside this area? There is so much more to Malysia than a strip of overpriced shopping malls and hotels pandering to westerners.
Much better to stay outside the tourist areas as usually, these areas are much more authentic providing a better Malaysian experience and food.

Because you assume that all poor people are bad when this is simply your prejudice.

+1 i went to KL 4 times last year for a whole bunch of reasons and have a lot of friends there (between 20-40). have not once had a problem although i suppose it might help that i look local and can speak some malay.

you do have to be a bit more alert than if you were in say singapore but i do think the dangerous etc rhetoric is overdone. i also think it would be a massive shame to go to KL and only staying resorts or venture out to bukit bintang

FWIW a friend of mine did this blog of his travels last year, www.noplanes.com including trips to KL, thailand (during the riots) etc. he would be a bit different though as he's the most azn whitefella i know

he also does the www.6000times.com blog which some perth people may be familiar with

I've been to many areas of Malaysia. From the middle of Bukit Bintang to the outback areas of Kedah. Don't try to lecture me on what I do and don't know about the country. There is a reason why the locals stay away from particular areas and behave the way they do. What makes you think you know more than a local? Because you have seen the 'culture' of the area? How pretentious.

And your pretence that you somehow know more than the people who live there everyday is not prejudicial? You most likely won't be robbed or killed in Malaysia. But it pays to be wary and to avoid the wrong areas - which are, incidentally enough, the poor areas. No different from any country.

Facts are facts. If you're going there as a foreigner, stay in the touristy areas like Bukit Bintang. There is a lot of poverty in Malaysia so stay away from the poor areas...why does everyone have to try and correct me for saying the truth?

I'm not trying to correct you I've never been there. I'm just surprsied and also scared to go ther now - so thanks I guess, I won't bother !

i do see your point aaron and i myself have heard from my friends about some of the problems but i do also think they can be blown up by locals to be a lot worse than they really are.

for example you get many people in perth who think that northbridge is a major no-go zone, ive even heard some idiots referring to it as a slum. it's apparently really dangerous and some people are scared to go there.

im there at least 3 times a week and have done so for years without any problems. imo it is my favourite part of perth and most of the hysteria is undeserved (there are some problems but nowhere near as bad as reported). the loudest bleating about how dangerous it is is usually from mavis in gosnells who hasnt been to northbridge in 12 years anyway

I'm not trying to correct you I've never been there. I'm just surprsied and also scared to go ther now - so thanks I guess, I won't bother !

I'm not saying not go there. The food is great and it's good to have a look around. Although shopping isn't as cheap as it once was, you'd be better off in Hong Kong or the other SE Asian countries.

it is seriously not scary, not even a little bit. just be aware of your surroundings, dont be a disrespectful and loud foreigner and you will be fine.

common sense+street smarts+ respect+ a smile go a long way in your travels

Back