Help with SEO

Only goes to show that outsourcing to cheap labour is not necessarily a good thing ... think how much could be achieved if you'd paid twice as much and sat down with someone local (and good at what they do) for an hour to walk you through exactly what you need to do.

Sorry to hear it's not what you expected, Skater, as your website is really good - great learning experience for the rest of us.

The problem lies in the 'locals' charging more than I am willing to pay, as I'm not drawing a wage yet. They want a minimum of six months committment, AND when they told me what they were going to do, it sounded the same as what I already have. I haven't found anyone really local who will sit down with me either.

I'm starting to pick up some of the terminology, I just don't know what any of it means.

Obviously there is a niche need out there ... Luce.Rocks ... job for you if you're computer savvy.

Can the people who built your site give you a bit more time?

Obviously there is a niche need out there ... Luce.Rocks ... job for you if you're computer savvy.

Can the people who built your site give you a bit more time?

They are the ones that want to charge $550 per month for 6 months minimum.

They ARE quite expensive for doing just the most basic of upgrades. I had them add the blue colour to the Facebook addy thingy (it was black before) and they charged me $165. Now, I'm sure that was as simple as going to the back of the site & just clicking a button. The thing that annoyed me the most was that I wanted it to be blue in the first place, so shouldn't have been any extra charge.:(

Knowing how much they charge for really basic stuff, I'm sure that they, themselves, outsource the work. They have only the tinyest of offices in Sydney, so they can't cram that many staff in there to do the SEO for all their sites as well as build them.

Now being aware ... when I google a topic, I've been noting what about a webpage brings it to the top of the google search.

One biggie is a website that has continual updates - even something as simple as a monthly "what's on/what we've been up to" blogget with a few photos or links. Seems to only need to be a paragraph.

How's it going?

Now being aware ... when I google a topic, I've been noting what about a webpage brings it to the top of the google search.

One biggie is a website that has continual updates - even something as simple as a monthly "what's on/what we've been up to" blogget with a few photos or links. Seems to only need to be a paragraph.

How's it going?

It's going slowly.

I've been reading all sorts of stuff. Some that contradicts each other, so its going to be a slow process. I've learnt that you need a Title, which isn't something that shows up to the user when you Google. I had nothing! The Elance person added something that sounded like something someone with poor English skills would write. I found what he wrote in the back end of my site & changed to something better.:D I would never have known where to look or what that particular thing was without him, so I suppose I can be grateful for that.

Now onto Meta Description. It's damn confusing all this web stuff. I had no Meta Description. I've Googled & it seems that I need something descriptive to say about each & every page, and there are a lot of them.:( At first I thought the description was for only the Home Page, but on further reading it seems there's more than that. I've found where this is to be entered in the back end and have added something to one only page so far, but would like some way to see if I'm doing the right thing.

To add a blog to the site will cost around $400. I'm not willing to pay for that yet (maybe later) as I'd like some evidence that I'm at least onto the right track here.

I'm running a Facebook promo at the moment & have created a 'Group'. It's an Add-a-member promotion aimed directly at the Roller Derby Crowd. They're a hard lot to crack because they have this whole 'doing it for the cause' mentality that means that many of them will only shop at outlets that are owned by other Derby players, which, of course, I'm not. They state such things as "Derby Owned", so I've added stuff like "Skater Owned" or "Run by skaters, for skaters" as they do hold that in high regard. I've got 460 odd in the group so far, and am giving a voucher away to the person that adds the most new members. The Group has been going for about a month. Compare this to the Page that I started around 8 months ago which has only around 120 Likes, and many of them just friends not at all interested in skating.

I've got one super loyal customer on there. She's ordered from me several times & likes that I will answer her questions, do laybys and deliver promptly. I'm getting a small amount of interest from her "League" as well, which is good. Now have to work out how to duplicate this many times over.

I have used Dejan SEO, i can vouch for them they are probably one of the honest seo guys out there at the moment not cow boys.

I don't know how much they will charge you but what i suggest is never lock-in any contract with any SEO people because most have 6-12 month contracts and after 3-4 months you will see if they are doing a good job or not, if they are not doing a good job you can just leave them.

I have used Dejan SEO, i can vouch for them they are probably one of the honest seo guys out there at the moment not cow boys.

I don't know how much they will charge you but what i suggest is never lock-in any contract with any SEO people because most have 6-12 month contracts and after 3-4 months you will see if they are doing a good job or not, if they are not doing a good job you can just leave them.

Hi Bernie,

Some questions if you don't mind.

How long did you use dejan for? What did they charge you and did you get to page 1, position 1 for your key term? Why did you stop using them?

Hi Bernie,

Some questions if you don't mind.

How long did you use dejan for? What did they charge you and did you get to page 1, position 1 for your key term? Why did you stop using them?

I used dejan seo for just over 12 months - i was happy with the service and they were upfront, i got to page one rank 2 for a highly competitive keywords the reason why i stopped using them is i lost interest in the online business that i was running.

I will give you a tip you don't need to be position 1 to get decent amount of customers, yes it's very good if you are on position 1. But positions 1-3 are top effort and you will get a lot of customers.

Hi Skater

I have a friend that has done this for his 2 sites. He built his own site for a fork lift and truck training website and then studied how to do the SEO. If you want he would help you out and prob charge very little. If you want his number PM me and i will send it through. He might be able to help or not.

if you don't have a blog and articles to assist with the SEO submissions then you will continue to get what you are getting. Poor quality SEO. You need to be writing articles on a regular basis with your keywords and have the SEO team submit them for you. Happy to discuss confidentially.

Back