Herniated Disc

Hi everyone,

My husband has hurt his back really bad while out in the garden. Think he's probably slipped a disc or something and is in agony and can't move. Anyone done this - how long does this accute stage last for?

It's a real bugger because he was knocked off his bike back in November of last year and suffered a burst fracture of the T12 and after months of being flat on his back and months of working his bum of at physio/pilates he was doing fantastic, now back to can't being able to move again and is massively depressed. I've told him to just hang in there that it will be a lot better in a few days. Physio seems to think he will be back to normal within 2 - 3 weeks - does this sound right for anyone who has done this??

Could I suggest to NOT do any physio etc until you have a definite diagnosis via x-ray or MRI etc. Sometimes doing these therapies can make things worse, particularly when a thorough diagnosis has not been made.

Depends on whats happened - I ruptured a disc last year and was mostly immobile for a week and had restricted mobility for several more weeks but was "functional" after the 1st week or so. Was about 6 weeks before I was back to "normal".

As someone who has an ongoing disc problem in my lower back and neck. The best advice i can give is keep strengthening the core muscles.

Quality of life improves drastically, when it goes twang on me now it takes a couple of days to come good vs the month or so it used to.

For me I took up Karate 3 years ago, best thing i ever did and am planning on doing Karate until i am no longer physically able to. Mine used to let go digging a hole for a pot plant, i am now able to do things again i never thought i would be able to.

There have been set backs along the way(gone on me two or three times in the last three years pushing it to the extreme, used to be two or three times a year doing very little) when i have pushed myself too hard, but the recovery is shorter each time. It does do your head in when you are trying hard to rectify it and it lets go, but it is worth sticking with it. Tell him to hang in there.

Great advice myoung thank you for that. He has been working his bum off at pilates since the accident and will keep doing it which is great for core strength. Was able to wash the car today so its getting better but is pretty sore now. He's definately one to keep working on it not sit around on the couch. Thanks for your help.

Back