Highgate WA: let's build a baby apartment block thread

Wish I could. I was there a few weeks ago when the builder I previously used came in $150k over their original estimate.

Have you received quotes from many builders? Perhaps someone else can recommend a WA builder for you? Sorry I don't have any contacts there.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but saved another $50k today! Another great day at the office! QLD laws were just changed so I no longer need rain water tanks or solar hot water! http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/02/14/08/01/qld-dumps-green-home-laws

That is a good win!

I have a number of green optional items in the sums which can be ditched if push comes to shove.

It's ok. Now that I have pricing I can sit down with the builder and see what changes he can suggest to help bring it down to budget - and squeeze him on his profit margin :D

MjAxMy02ODk1ZWI2MDAzMWQ1YzIx.png

For my first development I went to 15 different builders to finally get the right price, quality and timeframe for the build. I knew what I wanted and just shopped around until I found it.

I was getting quotes between $500k and $780k, with build timeframes between 3 and 7 months. Amazing the difference between builders doing the same job to the same specs.

For my first development I went to 15 different builders to finally get the right price, quality and timeframe for the build. I knew what I wanted and just shopped around until I found it.

I was getting quotes between $500k and $780k, with build timeframes between 3 and 7 months. Amazing the difference between builders doing the same job to the same specs.

This is my trusted builder who I have broken in after seeing a million duds :) But as I said, it's the first pass and there is things that haven't been bedded down so couldn't be properly estimated.

if they still have a hard time with the price, remember there may be some details theyre not 100% sure about.

if they need some sections to sure up their costings, just tell them to draw where they want and ill draw it up.

i have a few other decent builders up my sleeve if it becomes too much, but i know inspired will do a good job.

can you please send me the price for comparison's sake? i might be able to make some changes and discuss with vas about some measures.

if they still have a hard time with the price, remember there may be some details theyre not 100% sure about.

if they need some sections to sure up their costings, just tell them to draw where they want and ill draw it up.

i have a few other decent builders up my sleeve if it becomes too much, but i know inspired will do a good job.

can you please send me the price for comparison's sake? i might be able to make some changes and discuss with vas about some measures.

Yup this is why I'm not panicking about it. I know that it can be made more precise with more details from you.

But this is a warts and all thread so I'm including stages like this where you go eek :eek:

As mentioned the estimations I did were based on a 2 storey design and it is now a 3 storey design. There is also PLENTY of 'fat' in the deal so it's not the end of the world if my estimation was out. It's not a deal breaker - I don't need to sell the block to Sanj :p

I actually saw my builder on the weekend and we had a chat and he's going to work with you to bed down the unknowns and see what we can do to reduce the price without harming the spec/project.

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a bit.

I have a hefty stack more mortgage papers to sign for Settlement on 11th March.

Now that DA is on hold until after DAC I have taken the opportunity of tweaking the design a bit more.
Changes
- flipped all the bathrooms so that they can have a semi ensuite to Bed 2. All the apartments have 2 bathrooms but now all Bed 2s have direct access to the bathrooms.
- took the washing machine stacker out of the bathroom in the 3rd level apartment (the 'penthouse' lol!) and making a cupboard laundry like this near the entrance. Something like this

69c794482bc00d9bb9d48adc78703d9a.jpg

Oh and big news. I was driving to Mt Lawley to play poker last night and decided to drop by the block.

Wellllllll it confirmed my thoughts that I should be able to see the city. I could definitely see city lights when I was standing on the footpath - even at my midget height. So I believe that all apartments should have at least 'city glimpses' if not perhaps 'city views' for level 3.

Oh and big news. I was driving to Mt Lawley to play poker last night and decided to drop by the block.

Wellllllll it confirmed my thoughts that I should be able to see the city. I could definitely see city lights when I was standing on the footpath - even at my midget height. So I believe that all apartments should have at least 'city glimpses' if not perhaps 'city views' for level 3.

I would be tempted to consider hiring a elevated work platform to determine just what exactly the potential views are from your second & third stories & in what directions. You don't want to build something only to find out that your windows / balconies aren't really lining up with your views (although if there is no flexibility in the orientation it may not be such a big issue anyway).

Other options include find someone with a truck & stand on the roof or a large ladder maybe?

I would be tempted to consider hiring a elevated work platform to determine just what exactly the potential views are from your second & third stories & in what directions. You don't want to build something only to find out that your windows / balconies aren't really lining up with your views (although if there is no flexibility in the orientation it may not be such a big issue anyway).

Other options include find someone with a truck & stand on the roof or a large ladder maybe?

Love it :)

There is very little flexibility about where to put balconies but there is 2 at the front for each apartment covering most of the front which is where the views lay - and a large glass sliding door for each.

Something to consider West. Make allowances for really good blockout curtains. They leave the lights on in the park opposite to deter the zombies. Real pain I face Briggati and have had to get extra light blocking.

Something to consider West. Make allowances for really good blockout curtains. They leave the lights on in the park opposite to deter the zombies. Real pain I face Briggati and have had to get extra light blocking.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure the window furnishings on the park side are zombie proof :)

- took the washing machine stacker out of the bathroom in the 3rd level apartment (the 'penthouse' lol!) and making a cupboard laundry like this near the entrance. Something like this

69c794482bc00d9bb9d48adc78703d9a.jpg

I love this!!! I hate seeing laundries in houses. Being a bachelor and spending very limited amount of time in them, I consider them such a waste of space.

Back