Hoodia

Whils surfing the net today I came across a link to Sixty-Minutes and Hoodia and the name rung a bell (one of the myriad of Junk e-mails that I always seem to get nowadays).

I'd always deleted the e-mails but out of curiousity *googled* it..an interesting story if you've ever wondered

PS- Not promoting the product just the story ;) as an interesting topic as I believe its made it onto Sixty Minutes and Oprah as well the USToday show

http://hoodiagordonii.totalink.com/hoodia_gordonii_60_minutes.html

http://www.radiohealth.net/hoodiagordonii.html?gclid=CI2ilPGltoYCFSGZSAoduF1TAg

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/18/60minutes/main656458.shtml

Hoodia, Hoodia and 60 minutes will forever be connected. On Sunday Nov. 21, 2004 at 7p.m. was the moment that everything changed for millions of people trying to lose weight and also for the San Bushmen in Kalahari Desert of South Africa. In that short sixty minute time period dieters around the globe learned of a small cactus that grows in the semi-desert basin that the indigenous San People eat to reduce their appetite. They learned that these people have been eating it for thousands of years and big companies have been studying this plant for over thirty years tiring to produce the miracle hoodia diet pill. What the San didn’t know about there little South African cactus is that it scientifically has an ingredient named P57 that mimics glucose in the brain, only 1,000 times stronger, dramatically reducing your hunger.

In the 60 minute show, Correspondent Lesley Stahl traveled to South Africa and meet with a guide that showed her the actual Hoodia Gordonii Succulent plant and how it grows scattered through out the South African desert. I think what had the most dramatic effect on viewers of this sixty minute segment is Lesley Stahl’s hoodia testimonial. She ate a piece of the hoodia gordonii plant in the desert and later commented that she was not hungry that day and that she had no side effects from eating the hoodia plant. With the recent ban on dieting supplements like Ephedra and Phenfen, hoodia was looking very good indeed. A natural appetite suppressant that can reduce a persons calorie intake by 1,000 calories a day with no side effect. Isn’t that every persons dream that is trying to lose weight?

This sixty minutes brought up some other issues about the hoodia plant that are not so rosy, like the initial mishandling of the San People’s right to profits from the export of the hoodia cactus. In the beginning when hoodia was discovered to have appetite suppressing qualities there was no thought given to the fact that the indigenous people may have some claim to hoodia also. Since that time though lawyers looking to protect the rights of the San have stepped in and brokered a deal for them so they will get a share of the profits from Hoodia.

Redwing

hi redwing
can we get a hoodia at subway so you can eat fresh and slim, or will it be do you want hoodia with that.
just a thought

Not sure whats going on there Geoff..They worked for me (just tried again)?

First one is a Total Link site and Blurb on Hoodia, the next is Radio News and some warnings and the last is a cbs story:confused:

Redwing

redwing said:
Not sure whats going on there Geoff..They worked for me (just tried again)?
Works for me as well redwing. Maybe geoff's computer automatically deletes anything with the word hoodia in it. :)

It works for me now. Their server must have been down- probably with the overwhelming interest from Somersoft.

Back