how do i clear an unpaid bill which has caused a record in my history

work out the interest difference not to mention all the future borrowing possibilities which may be lost, it could probably be money well spent

Its really interesting to see how important a clear CRA is.

This is why the vendor finance industry exist. Crazy how the slightest nudge in policy can create a billion dollar industry

Been in this situation twice now. once myself and once a business partner had the problem.

Once there is a default on your record, unless you can prove it was put on in error - ie payment made before the due date or more which is very hard - it will not be removed no matter what.

The best you can do is to pay the amount in full and hound whoever listed the default until they add another comment indicating the amount is paid in full.

An Unpaid default on your credit history will almost always end in a negative loan application, no matter what your story regarding he unpaid amount. A Paid default gives you a much better chance.

In my case, I had a default listed, which luckily (or unluckily) I paid by cheque on the final extension date. As I paid by cheque, even tho I paid directly into their account, as it wasnt clear funds, they listed the default.

I was able to write a short letter explaining the situation when i applied for my loan and it was not a problem.

I guess what it comes down to is take responsibilty for the default, clear it, and have a good story behind the "mistake". If you want to fight or dispute it, then dont plan on getting a loan happening quickly. Even if you can get the lister to say it was a mistake and remove it, it will prob take months.

Chomp - Did they remove it completely or did they just mark it as paid? Even if its paid, you have still defaulted

Once there is a default on your record, unless you can prove it was put on in error - ie payment made before the due date or more which is very hard - it will not be removed no matter what.

Utterly and completely WRONG! A close mate had his record cleared due to a non-payment of a rates notice. As long as you pay it most companies that have lodged the default agree to remove the judgement. Not sure where you got your info from Gruntus.

I got the info from Baycorp advantage which hold the credit reports. They said to get it removed I had to get the listing company to inform them it was put on in error.

It makes sense too, a default is still default even if you pay it.

http://www.fido.gov.au/fido/fido.nsf...t?opendocument

click on "get it fixed"

and read the section titled
Check the accuracy and age of any listed credit defaults

it clearly states

Repay any outstanding credit defaults if you can
When you pay, ask the credit provider and credit reporting agency to amend your credit report. The default credit will still be listed but will no longer be outstanding.

Any default put on your cedit history can only be removed if it is incorrect. Paying a default admits you incured the liabillity and also admit the default.

Gruntus,

It was about four years ago, I think they removed it completely, but I'm sure the water corp did ask them to remove it.

Chomp

unless vodafone ask them to remove it then it will stay on record for 5 years.

If i pay it, it will remain on my record but the status will 'paid'

Hence i will not pay until i get vodafone to come to the party and agree to remove it.

They were sending the bills to my old address but are saying 'you should have told us'

should i write a latter saying i did try to notify you via mail and thought thats why my contract ended and and hence didnt receive anymore bills.?

thanks for your help guys, its a small hit but can push me back a few months.

worst thing is i would have paid it if i hadactually received them.

Cheers

I think you will find it is your responsibilty to notify them of change in address. you should always do this by email so you have a reference.

I cant see voda removing it, as the amount is outstanding and hasnt been put on your file in error. If defaults were removed for everyone who came up with a story, then the system wouldnt work and credit files would be pointless.

Seriously pay the debt (you know you owe it), get it marked as paid on your file and get on with getting a loan. How are you really any better off fighting it? It might take two years still with no result and how much dearer will houses be????

I got three loans while the paid default was still on my file, no special conditions imposed. 2014 will be here before you know it anyway.

If it's a Telco why not try the TIO?

I had an issue with one. Didn't receive any help from their overseas call centre. Poor guys - noone there wanted to be the one who wore the cost of the incident.

Once the TIO were brought in I got a call two days later with a local someone who was VERY helpful.

You can easily lodge a claim online.

If it's a Telco why not try the TIO?

I had an issue with one. Didn't receive any help from their overseas call centre. Poor guys - noone there wanted to be the one who wore the cost of the incident.

Once the TIO were brought in I got a call two days later with a local someone who was VERY helpful.

You can easily lodge a claim online.

TIO = Awsome. Things happen very fast when you call them. Telcos get on there knees real quick. A call to TIO only takes 5 minutes and a years worth of fighting telcos is over in the blink of an eye.

They are magic to every one who calls them ive found

all sorted, TIO gave me a quote number for the complaint, called vodafone, agreed to remove default AND half the owing amount... :cool:

thanks for everyones advice

Back