How do you change your name?

Speaking of names,
I met a older lady in the 70's who maiden name was Lilly Rose....after she was married her new name was Lilly Lilly:)

I knew a bloke with the surname Dale and I heard him yelling out to his wife one day calling her Dale and I asked why he called her by her surname. Turns out it was her first name too so when she married him she ended up as Dale Dale.

Olly

I've used Lynne as my name forever. My legal name is Lynette.

Half my stuff is in Lynne (my pay, tax, credit cards, voting details, half bank accounts), half in Lynette (deeds to houses, passport, license, half bank accounts). Very messy.

I just booked a cruise and the agent put Lynne even though I gfilled in the booking for with Lynette. She has Lynnette on the receipt but the cruise line has Lynne. But my Email addy is Lynne and I sign Lynne.
I've Emailed so it will be sorted but I'm sick of it.
Now that my passport is nearly full I think it's a good time to do it.
Where do I start? and once it's changed do I just change the passport then I can change everything else with that as ID?

Thanks. I have been meaning to do this for years but put it in the too hard basket.

Hi Lynette,

well, you said your legal name was Lynette and your license was Lynette, so everything else is pretty simple.

Ring the CC companies and explain it to them, and they should have no problem re-issuing with Lynette....even easier, tell them to just put L. Surname...

Once your CC and passport are done, the rest will fall into line in due course. They're the most important things.

It is a hassel! My husband's name is Rocco, but he has been called Roy ever since he was a kid so he would fit in at school.

He went around and put everything in the name of Roy, and at one stage he couldn't prove 100point ID...so I spent about 2 years changing everything back over to Rocco. All he had to do was sign a Stat Dec at RTA for his drivers licence and the rest followed.

I changed the order of my given names, was easy enough, but there was a "gotcha" with my passport.

It seemed like a good idea at the time... wait till my passport expired, and renew it with the new name ... wrong

If you want to renew passport in same name, no problem, post office with photos
If you want to change name on current passport, no problem, post office with deed poll paperwork.

If you want passport in different name, and old passport expired, procedure is much more complex, trip to the city with heap of paperwork.

My wife has some stuff in her maiden name, some in the name of her first husband and the rest in my name. We have been married 3 years and it annoys the hell out of me when mail still turns up to our house with her ex-husbands name on it, but it is actually quite hard to change everything over.

Another problem is that her middle name on her birth certificate is "Anne" but the family has always spelt it "Ann". The registrar just wrote it as he saw fit. 40 years ago it didn't matter as people read that stuff, but now so many forms are read by a computer and if it is not an exact match it gets sent back.

Hi Lynette,

well, you said your legal name was Lynette and your license was Lynette, so everything else is pretty simple.

Ring the CC companies and explain it to them, and they should have no problem re-issuing with Lynette....even easier, tell them to just put L. Surname...

Once your CC and passport are done, the rest will fall into line in due course. They're the most important things.

It is a hassel! My husband's name is Rocco, but he has been called Roy ever since he was a kid so he would fit in at school.

He went around and put everything in the name of Roy, and at one stage he couldn't prove 100point ID...so I spent about 2 years changing everything back over to Rocco. All he had to do was sign a Stat Dec at RTA for his drivers licence and the rest followed.

Please do not call me Lynette. I hate it and NEVER use it. Which is the point of this post. I DON'T want to use my legal name. That I agree would be easy.

I use Lynne and have since I was 14. Actually it was quite easy getting things with Lynne up until now. But it gets confusing as I always write Lynne. Like with the cruise. It took 5 Emails and 4 phone calls to America to get the name sorted. I was sick last week and when I went to hand the doctors certificate in at work I noticed it had Lynette. My work is under Lynne as that's what was on my Uni degree. I hope they don't query it.

I've downloaded the forms and I will change it after my holiday next year as I will have to get a new passport.

Back