How good are interactive whiteboards in schools?

I use a Smartboard one day a week, it is just another tool to use. It has it good and bad points.

The downside at our workplace is...

a) Go & get laptop, carry to classroom, open, sort out leads & plug in and connect all leads to Smartboard, start up computer and log on - BANG there is 10 - 15 minutes added to my preparation time.

b) Won't play DVD's our technical support person is trying to work out why.

c) We don't have whiteboard markers left in our classroom, so if I need use the ordinary whiteboard (or Guest Speakers do, I have to go and get whiteboard markers).

d) We have construction going on near our classroom, Smartboard vibrates up and down most days with the "Shakes".

e) Couldn't tell you the number of times I have been writing something up on whiteboard and it just disappears - so it is back to the laptop to open a word document and type up what I wanted to write on Smartboard.

f) Smartboard was positioned low so a person in a wheelchair could use, students have to lean either side of person in front to read last quarter of Smartboard or stand up.

As I said another teaching tool and it requires additional time to set up and pack up each day.

BANG 10 - 15 minutes to turn off, unplug leads, pack away and return to laptop etc. to technology cupboard.

Then you have the added security concern re being logged into internet with your log in - so when you leave classroom at breaks, remove thumb drive after laptop tells you it is safe to do so & log off & relog on & insert thumb drive again when you come back from breaks and open up the document you were using after security screening.

Regards
Sheryn

Wow....sound like you need a permanent workstation set up with it...that's what I have....

refer to the right corner of my classroom in the bottom picture:

http://abergowrss.eq.edu.au/wcmss/index.php/Year-P-3.html

PS. I got it working after stealing a cord from the other one...we watched a slow motion video of someone throwing a ball...the kids got heaps out of it!!!

Would love to hear parents and teachers opinions of interactive whiteboards. Are they in your kids schools? What do you think of them? Are they used throughout Aus?

My son's P-9 school uses them throughout all years. They are great for interactive group learning sessions & I am so impressed that I am considering one for home.... yes indeed.

Not to detract from the topic, however, the school I refer to also has wireless 'n' standard on site with netbooks used around campus. Also, every student in his year level has a 320GB pocket harddrive for storing all work and doing home assignments & the school has iMacs installed in a central resource facility. The best bit is that this all comes from a government school!

I rate the interactive whiteboards & my son has now been using them for 4 yrs. Very useful tool. ;)

I use a Smartboard one day a week, it is just another tool to use. It has it good and bad points.

The downside at our workplace is...

a) Go & get laptop, carry to classroom, open, sort out leads & plug in and connect all leads to Smartboard, start up computer and log on - BANG there is 10 - 15 minutes added to my preparation time.

Regards
Sheryn

Quite a few schools now have laptop docks which make these hassles disappear - maybe you could file that :D:D:D

Does the school rate above its peers in naplan?

Well, my son had to move school this year & his new school is exactly that... brand new, 1st year campus is open. However, it is a school that has moved sites and expanded the grades. Their previous naplan scores are at or above the average for most subject areas.

The reason I like these boards is due to the different learning styles it caters for. Visual learners get a lot out of them. ;)

Back