how important is an ensuite ?

Many 3 bedroom 1 bathroom properties, just wondering how important is an ensuite in terms of attracting tenants and capital growth ?

I don't know the capital city markets but I built a 4br dbl lock-up garage home in the Mc Mansion areas of Townsville, but because it was in the foothills on a sloping block I built on three levels with a small footprint. There was plenty of room for pool and BBQ etc so I chose to have a shower/toilet on the ground level and a full sized bath on the upper level.

While being perfectly logical, the "young snobs" will not buy it without an en-suite. Tenants have been happy though. Go figure. :)

I think ensuite is very important for resale value. When I design a floor plan if it is impossible to have an ensuite due to small space I try to make the bathroom two-way. Rent is also higher if there is an ensuite.

I agree with Sue and SB. An ensuite will undoubtedly give you the edge whether you are selling or leasing. It is well worth the extra cost of 6-10k.

As the positive responses already suggest, many people I encounter won't even consider the property if it doesn't have an ensuite.

It's hard to put a value on the capital gain if you never sell, but if when you do sell it's a definite advantage.

A lot of existing older properties were never built with ensuites and some of them (most??) would not lend themselves to having one added either.

If you are buying new or relatively new then an ensuite is the way to go as the others have said.

I'm not sure that anyone could put a figure on how having or not having an ensuite would affect CG. But having one would definitely help in making a property more saleable over another.

Many 3 bedroom 1 bathroom properties, just wondering how important is an ensuite in terms of attracting tenants and capital growth ?

IMHO it depends on the suburb/location and the type of tenants who wish to rent there.

I owned a 3+1+1 BV 2 suburbs away from here - had absolutely no problems attracting tenants, achieved good rental yield, had excellent capital growth and sold easily. Last 2 tenants were an elderly couple, and before that a single mum with 2 young children.

However the same house in our suburb would be a different matter entirely - the minimum requirement here is 4+2+2. This is mainly a PPOR-type area with fewer rentals - typical tenants are a family with 3-4 children. There is a house 2 doors away which is 3+1+1 and it has been on the market for ages - someone will get a good buy when the vendors become a little more realistic.

Horses for courses, methinks ...

Cheers
LynnH

Two way bathrooms are the go I reckon.

The whole concept of a 3 bedder IMO, was that it supposedly is a more affordable build, usually on a smaller narrower block, so for me, I would leave the ensuites and and and for the 4 bedder+ McMansion lovers.

But, I suppose it depends on demographics of the area.

Dave

Putting my tenant hat on:

If I am living with two mates in an inner city house/townhouse, then I would want an ensuite. At least there is two bathrooms for 3 people, which is very convenient given that we may all want to get ready for work at the same time.

If I have a family with 2 kids then I might be ok with just one bathroom - but I would want another one just for "emergencies".

However none of the above are deal breakers unless I am choosing between two of VERY similar properties (assuming I get a choice at all)

Location, property type, target market, price range will influence the answer to this question.

From a renters perspective this would be more attractive. How much is a good question. Although not a direct example, for a 2br apartment with one bathroom in inner city Melbourne rent for ~$20-25 pw less than 2 + 2. So as a rule of thumb, you can say that might be adding $20-25k to the purchase price. Of course, it might cost you ~10k to do it.

For a 3 bedroom house, adding an additional ensuite may require a complete re-design of the house ie moving bedrooms, living areas, extend plumbing etc which may be cost prohibitive.

From a capital gains perspective, often the ensuite will differentiate it from other 3 + 1 properties, but will also depend on how the rest of the house is updated/finished. If it is part of a cosmetic update, then it would be appropriate to add one in. If its just an additional ensuite on the same house, then its impact might be marginal, but may make it easier to sell.

We have a mixture of both, new with ensuite, and newly built without...regional Vic cities, haven't had any problem going back after 12 to 18 months, skimming the equity growth to fund next purchase.

I think perhaps the difference is in the rent ...(we are not sellers-buy and holders=longterm).

I've got a relatively smaller block which I'm about to build a townhouse on now, it wont have the ensuite, (will have 2 way b/room). It will only have single (automatic) garage too. It's a 3 b/r, btw. From what I observe/research of rental prices, (in the area), and also talking to PM's it will fetch $270 plus rent, if it had the ensuite and dble gge, I would be fetching $370 plus-ish.

It's a narrow frontage block though, and the smaller townhouse slides in well, I'm happy with what I'm doing, the block I have around the corner is bigger, it will be 3 b/r ensuite, dbl gge. So I'm doing what I think best with what I've got. No sweat.

What I do find highly regarded is good heating and cooling. Both will have evaporative cooling. Very hot summers, cold winters here so I have no hesitation to wrangle/allocate money spent on ensuite-goes toward evap cooling.

I can see the advantage of an ensuite probably not in capital growth, but in getting higher rent. May be it's better for a 4 bedder or the money should go to airconditioning first. Thanks everyone for the time.

Its very important. Part of my selection criteria for minimising vacancies / maximising rental returns and its pretty well a standard features these days found in modern property.

Back