How old is your TV?

Hi all

WE have one in just about every room..........

I have one in my craft room that I purchased 2nd hand for $100 when I first moved out of home............ now this will give my age away.... 28yrs ago.

That makes it 28yr + old. It has moved all around melbourne and then to Perth, survived a house fire and it is still working. I use it every day.........

No remote, the buttons stick and it still keeps going. It's a Toshiba.:D

I am just thinking of replacing it with my daughters little one (mainly due to the space it takes up) and getting her a smallish LCD for her room for Xmas.

Our TV is a normal model and normal size and about 6 years old. It has a remote. I know no other details about it.

It sits squarely on the cost side of the equation, it generates not a sausage of revenue - so I take no interest in it whatsoever.

All that "stuff" resides firmly within the wife's realm.

Speaking of TV's, I think I need a new one! I'm sick of modern tecnology - just doesn't last as long. Isn't 10 years a little short?

In any case, it looks like the colour tube is going? Probably not worth fixing.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what TV to buy? :confused:I detest shopping, but if I leave it up to hubby, he may come back with some really expensive plasma TV. I just want a really good picture and great sound, and like a few of you, don't want it to take up the whole lounge room.

My brother bought a huge wide screen a while back but the sound is absolutely crap! :eek: Something middle of the range would be good.

Regards Jo

..... if I leave it up to hubby, he may come back with some really expensive plasma TV. I just want a really good picture and great sound, and like a few of you, don't want it to take up the whole lounge room.

Until we got our plasma, I also had a dislike for a TV being the focal point in a room, and we had our "normal" size telly in an art deco cabinet with doors that closed when not in use.

Now we have the plasma (which was not particularly expensive compared to the new cost of the TV it was replacing) I love it, and can see it from my kitchen area without squinting. We also did the surround sound thing, so I suppose we have a mini-theatre thing happening, without having it in a separate room.

I cannot even imagine how we managed to see our little TV now that we have become used to a big screen, and would never go back.

We recently bought an LCD 40 inch for our downstairs room which cost around $1300. If you want a good LCD or plasma and don't want the big screens, they are very reasonably priced, in my opinion.

I would also never go back to the big box sized TVs that take up so much room.

Speaking of TV's, I think I need a new one! I'm sick of modern tecnology - just doesn't last as long. Isn't 10 years a little short?

In any case, it looks like the colour tube is going? Probably not worth fixing.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what TV to buy? :confused:I detest shopping, but if I leave it up to hubby, he may come back with some really expensive plasma TV. I just want a really good picture and great sound, and like a few of you, don't want it to take up the whole lounge room.

My brother bought a huge wide screen a while back but the sound is absolutely crap! :eek: Something middle of the range would be good.

Regards Jo

Strongly recommend the Panasonic 42" Plasma sets - 42px8a or 42px80a are the model numbers. They are about $1200-1400 if you bargain well.

TVs these days all have crap sound quality. Just hook up your stereo to them :)

Strongly recommend the Panasonic 42" Plasma sets - 42px8a or 42px80a are the model numbers. They are about $1200-1400 if you bargain well.

TVs these days all have crap sound quality. Just hook up your stereo to them :)

Thanks Wylie and Witzl,

As I said, it's been a while..... Witzl, the Panasonic you mention - is it flat at the back or a big box thing. You know what I mean!:p

The back of our TV at the moment is HUGE! It's in the corner so no-one can see the back of it.:eek:

We have stereo speakers hooked up at the moment but really only use them for DVD's. It's a worry buying something new, when the old one was so so good!:( (Apart from the ugly back.ha)

Regards Jo

5 year old widescreen flatscreen ... CRT. Weighs as much as I do.

Doesn't get used for much more than watching downloaded TV series, which is an impressive feat considering we're on dialup. No broadband OR free to air TV here. Other half has given up on aerials and moved onto satellite now.

Jo - thats a flat panel... so it's only about 15cm thick at the most - much like the picture i posted up earlier.

5 year old widescreen flatscreen ... CRT. Weighs as much as I do.

Doesn't get used for much more than watching downloaded TV series, which is an impressive feat considering we're on dialup. No broadband OR free to air TV here. Other half has given up on aerials and moved onto satellite now.

Rumpled Elf,

I don't say much, nothing interesting to add, but I follow your posts on renovating with interest.:):)

You sound like you are way out in the sticks! How far is the nearest shopping centre for you? (Sorry, a bit off the topic again.)

And thanks Witzl......yep...been a while! I'll let you know how it goes.:)

Regards Jo

Our TV is 21 years old..A sony one.. 21 inches colored TV. it was bought when I am at the age of 5 years old then now I am 26 years old so our TV is now 21 years old.

Back