How to be above average?

I am in my mid 30's I have started to see some of younger highly motivated guys/girls move ahead of me in career / financially etc. Whilst I seem to understand intellectually what is required to become an "achiever", I find it hard to wake up each more with the kind the same kind burning desire to take any kind of focused action to take me beyond the life of being quietly comfortable.

If my family was going hungry or we didn't have roof over our heads or we needed medical care etc, and then I would have motivation to do-whatever-it-takes to get it. But with all the basics in place and some spare cash for a few of the nicer things plus of life ( even sponsoring of a couple of third world children), my motivation to move forward / above this level seems non-existent. The best I can come up with is saying to myself " In a capitalistic society I have a duty to my family and myself to become financially independent, not financially dependant".

I was interested in what motivates people who achieve at higher levels? e.g. how did Jan and Ian Somers motivate themselves to take focused action to achieve in a particular area at an exceptional level, e.g. in as they put it accumulate "enough wealth to last several lifetime's". How can we motivate ourselves to achieve all we can achieve, rather than to quietly accept just enough?

Last edited:
Hi

I think that there are two things that see people achiever higher.

1. They set very clear goal(s) and understand the steps that need to be taken to achieve

2. Paitience....I know it is a virtue but all buy and hold IP holders will understand this

Simple eh....:)

Tamara

To put it into one word, INDEPENDENCE, freedom from whichever overtaxing, power hungry, make a name for myself, self centered, power hungry moron is calling the shots in government at the time i want to/can afford to retire,and seeing how were talking about politicians,when did the greater population decide that small business should fund the retirement of the average joe through compulsory super?

l thought thats what those bottom feeders in government were supposed to be doing,not just lining their own nests,and people think used car salespeople and real estate agents are bad! MITCH

Hi Always,

Can I call you always ?

Your question "What motivates people ...."

I get motivated by challenges. Problems to solve where you have to look outside the box.

Sometimes my day job gives me challenges and other days I am bored.

I buy IP's for the same reason. The challenge of making the numbers work and the challenge of adding value after a renovation.

Cheers & good luck in your search for motivation !

G'day AL,

I read somewhere that the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire was this:-

"A millionaire reads their goals once a day - a billionaire reads them twice....."

Is that true?? Hell, I dunno - I'm a newbie - but if it IS true, then (as Tamara said, and others hinted at) GOALS are the go !!!

Regards,

Really enjoying these thoughts

We all have different on buttons.... but we all have them!

For some , it's to get out of the poverty that their parents always battled with.

For others, it's to prove that you can do it.

Probably as many reasons for the motivation as there are people but you must find it !!!!!!

What makes you get out of bed in the morning?????
What do you want for your kids ?????
What sorts of $ numbers do you want to be generous with????

Allow yourself to dream.... then work hard!!!!

Just learning;)

Dear Always Learning

There's a lovely line in the musical Dolly! about life being a smorgasboard, but that most people leave the table, hungry.

For me, I don't really care about travel, I've had the swish car, I've got more houses than I can live in, and I wear ten year old clothes.

My motivation comes from trying to be myself.

When I die and go to Heaven, and St Peter meets me at the pearly gates with a clipboard in his hand, he is not going to say "Why weren't you Margaret Thatcher, or why weren't you Golda Meir", but he may ask me "How close do you think you got to being Kristine?"

Everything I do, comes from trying to put back something into this wonderful, free and fantastic society in which we live.

I was in VCAT today, and when it was my turn to put the reasons why I want to convert this dilapidated old house into a neighbourhood medical centre, I pointed out that it is easy to think that everybody else has the same facilities, resources and abilities that we have. But many people struggle with life, and in trying to do a little better for themselves, take on an almighty burden.

Young families can only afford one car, which the breadwinner takes to work, leaving the women to travel only as far as they can walk.

Families disadvantaged by illness, unemployment or lack of education are locked into their immediate neighbourhood. Older people who have perhaps limited mobility, must have facilities close to them.

Poverty is not just restricted to third world countries.

Always, I believe it is our moral and ethical duty to do the best we can for ourselves and our families, and to reach out into our communities to provide housing, employment or opportunity so that all may benefit.

In the redevelopment of Myrtle Cottage, nearly $150,000 at my risk has gone into the local economy during the life of that project.

The philanthropists of our time certainly include the 'old' money families, but wouldn't it be wonderful to be Mr & Mrs Gates, to give $17 billion towards world vaccination? To be the Myer family, to give $17 million to the people of Melbourne, to be the Bloggs family, to donate a $17,000 bed to the local hospital?

Always, some people are motivated by greed, some by the game of it, some by fear of loss. And others are motivated by the knowledge that as one rises, we all rise.

Abraham Lincoln, who on this day in 1865 was shot by the actor John Wilkes Booth at the Ford Theatre in Washington, said

"Labour was prior to Capital, but Property is the Fruit of Labour.

Property is desirable, and is a positive good to the world.

That some should be rich, shows that others can become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.

Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example ensuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

When you discover what drives you, the road becomes easy. But if success is not what you really want for yourself, no amount of goal setting, reading or self flagellation will get you past where you are now.

Perhaps you are already successful, but just don't recognise it yet?

Cheers

Kristine

Kristine,

I always love reading your posts; thankyou.

Always Learning,

But with all the basics in place and some spare cash for a few of the nicer things of life my motivation to move forward / above this level seems non-existent.

It sounds to me that you've become complacent and content. You have a roof over your head, you're able to meet your expenses, you're able to educate your children and indulge once in a while.

This is a nice place to be. Everybody has different motivations, and usually more than one; and one of the things (among several) that motivates me to be a higher achiever (apart from my upbringing and the constant "be the best" drillings from my folks) is plain and simple fear. That one day I may find myself in a situation where that nice place I'm at is in jeapardy. Where I can't keep the roof over my head, where I can't feed my children properly, where they can't receive the best education to be had, and where I can't say "what the hell, I want to spoil myself and my family".

I want to be in a situation where I don't need to "do what ever it takes", I just want to do it; take care of the situation with out struggle, with out juggling money, with out robbing peter to pay paul, simply, without giving it a second thought.

That is a nice feeling, knowing that you can comfortably handle any situation that arises without compromising your Nice Place.

Originally posted by tamara
Hi

I think that there are two things that see people achiever higher.

1. They set very clear goal(s) and understand the steps that need to be taken to achieve

2. Paitience....I know it is a virtue but all buy and hold IP holders will understand this

Simple eh....:)

Tamara

Thats simple, but he wants to know why? not how?

As to the question, i havnt analysed it all that much but im probably motivated by, in no particular order:

Challenges, I own my PPOR outright, own 5 PIs and a block of land, (and looking for more) a successful business that i hardly have to be at, my family live a comfortable life, 2 cars..etc...but im still looking for challenges. I can see myself in a couple of years moving on from IPs, when i think ive been there, done that to look for something else. I dont ask myself why i react to challenges like this, it just seems to be in my DNA and i accept that. Maybe Always, its not for you, different strokes for different blokes.

My youth, i wasnt raised in a well off family, there was a lot of love but not an abundance of material wealth so maybe im compensating for that.

Lastly, I have a burning desire to leave my kids with a headstart in life, for them not to take it for granted but to appreciate it. It will be there nonetheless. When i think about it, this is probably my biggest motivation.

I dont kid myself that im contributing to society by what i do (besides paying taxes and some donations). If i ask myself would i do it for nothing or solely for the benefit of society, the answer would be a big NO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned which I believe is my biggest driver of success - being highly competitive, but it doesn't always show externally.

Lastly, I have a burning desire to leave my kids...

I like these 3 words, "having burning desire", I think that answers the motivation, the drive, the hard work, the relentlessness, the perseverance and persistence, the education, and so on and on and on.
Basically, if you can answer this question, "What would you give your life for????", than you can find your motivation, the hard work you would put, etc... all the obstacles or challenges along the way, wouldn't you agree?
That's what makes us humans so unique, as our values are so different.

Perhaps answering the questions below can help some people in their journey:
1) What career will give me the greatest satisfaction?
2) If I received $10 million tax free tomorrow, what would I do with your money?
3) If I only had 180 days to live, in perfect health, and I could do anything, what would I do?
4) If I knew I was absolutely guaranteed success, what career or project(s) would I select?
5) What is so important to me that I would fight or even die for it??

These questions were taken from a book, but my answer to question 3 changed my live personally and financially... Now, I know some will just glance and pass through the answers, but those who spend time and answer truthfully may seep the rewards. It's our answers, our choice and only we can make it happen.... So good luck to you...
Anyway, on another note, to see how some people have done it, read a book by Mark Bouris, "What It Takes...An Attitude of Hard Work, Commitment and Purpose". It's an easy read and it really opens your eyes!!!:)
So, how to be above average? You need to decide on it with a burning desire (purpose) and then you will commit to what it takes (hard work and never giving up!!!).

Easy to be slightly above average,
- follow the herd, easy
- do everything better then the average person, easy, since the average persons standard is very low, we call a very low standard as average

To be well above average. Be darn good at what everyone else does,

Or think outside the square , and do what the herd doesn't do

I am highly driven and very motivated (though admittedly less so now than a few years ago). I'm 31 and have held management positions for the last 6years. Often having reports older than me.

I have quite clear goals and targets, and in many ways theses are my motivation.
However I never compare or measure myself against others. You will always find someone more "successful" than yourself, and can always find people "less" successfull than yourself. Measure yourself against your own targets.

I'm sure many people will look at you and say how successful you are (good job, family, mid 30's... Doing well!!!) set your own targets and track against your own progress.

I climbed the corporate ladder fast and hard. 50,60,70hr weeks in the office, then studying after that, being on volunteer comitees, and doing the corporate gig. But it's tiring, and for what? More money? Status? I don't know - but I enjoyed it at the time. Though now I'm winding down. I'm just too tired to pull those hours. My time is more valuable to me than flogging myself.

Blacky

Hi Always Learning,

I personally think it comes down to your goals and how much you want them. What is you number one priority? Why is it important? Do you like the consequences of not having met your goal? Would that worry you?

Always dig the well before you need the water.

I just finished landmark, it seems i'm motivated because as a kid, someone once told me I couldn't have something.

I honestly thought it was because of I wanted financial freedom and flexibility with my time :p

LOL okay, to clarify, i'm not dissing landmark, I actually highly recommend it, my best mate is doing it now too. It's refocused my original big plan. Further details coming to a somersoft signature near you.

I just finished landmark, it seems i'm motivated because as a kid, someone once told me I couldn't have something.

I honestly thought it was because of I wanted financial freedom and flexibility with my time :p

LOL okay, to clarify, i'm not dissing landmark, I actually highly recommend it, my best mate is doing it now too. It's refocused my original big plan. Further details coming to a somersoft signature near you.

What is this course about? I have heard of before. What did you get out of it?

I never could get into landmark

Have eenrolled three ttimes
The final time I stayed until the first break ans thEn left

The way I see it, if you can't tell people what it's all about until you get there, then it's not worth it

Also see theor Wikipedia entry
they use similar technqiues as some cults
eg shaming people who try and leave
eg getting your family and friends involoved

Its essentially a personal development course but its very different to Tony Robbins style

That being said I know of about 10 people who did it

3 said it was stupid
3 said it was ok
3 swear by it and say it's changed thsir llife forever

In fact one was drug addict about to go to jail
Did the course, moved country, got a 0% loan from his home countryn, bought a property in blue chip area of melb, started a business
married a doctor (my friend is a male), started goiby to the gYm six ddays per week
Made 50% currency gain in three YeaRs his loan,
His house doubled in value in about 4 to 5 years
And his business is kicking butt too

Back