How to be above average?

It helps you identify and strip away all the lies you tell yourself on why you can't do things.

I can guarantee the people that said it was stupid didnt do a single one of the assignments.

Did it change my life? No. It did help me refocus my original plan eg. See signature below.

It is worth it. As long as you commit to being involved in all the activities. You learn to strip away the fakeness in your interactions. Leads to higher quality interactions.

How to be above average

I hate working so much that the thought of retiring early motivates me to work harder. If that makes sense.

My son reached this level at 40 and was totally bored within a year. He went back to doing projects that interested/challenged him. It is the freedom of choice that is the key.
Cheers
Charlotte30

Last edited:
My son reached this level at 40 and was totally bored within a year. He went back to doing projects that interested/challenged him. It is the freedom of choice that is the key.
Cheers
Charlotte30

Same happened to my dad, thought at the age of 50. Back at work after a year.

I tried it, took a few weeks off work just to get a feel, was bored out of my mind after 3 days, starving for social interaction. Doesn't help when all your mates are still working.

I tried it, took a few weeks off work just to get a feel, was bored out of my mind after 3 days, starving for social interaction. Doesn't help when all your mates are still working.

It can be professionally isolating....but sometimes that is a good thing.

It can be professionally isolating....but sometimes that is a good thing.

Well as you know I've parted ways with work and am focusing on my own business. Currently building for myself. Don't meet many people in my backyard. lol.

It was doing my head in for the first 2 months, I've learned how to deal with it now.

Well as you know I've parted ways with work and am focusing on my own business. Currently building for myself. Don't meet many people in my backyard. lol.

It was doing my head in for the first 2 months, I've learned how to deal with it now.

It's also nice to have friends that have the same flexibility during the day as well.

It's also nice to have friends that have the same flexibility during the day as well.

Well a mate took a month off at one point, so we were rock climbing 2-3 times a week. That was fun.

I'm heading to Melbourne before the end of the year, possibly early to mid December, would you and Aaron free for a catch-up?

I am in my mid 30's I have started to see some of younger highly motivated guys/girls move ahead of me in career / financially etc. Whilst I seem to understand intellectually what is required to become an "achiever", I find it hard to wake up each more with the kind the same kind burning desire to take any kind of focused action to take me beyond the life of being quietly comfortable.

If my family was going hungry or we didn't have roof over our heads or we needed medical care etc, and then I would have motivation to do-whatever-it-takes to get it. But with all the basics in place and some spare cash for a few of the nicer things plus of life ( even sponsoring of a couple of third world children), my motivation to move forward / above this level seems non-existent. The best I can come up with is saying to myself " In a capitalistic society I have a duty to my family and myself to become financially independent, not financially dependant".

I was interested in what motivates people who achieve at higher levels? e.g. how did Jan and Ian Somers motivate themselves to take focused action to achieve in a particular area at an exceptional level, e.g. in as they put it accumulate "enough wealth to last several lifetime's". How can we motivate ourselves to achieve all we can achieve, rather than to quietly accept just enough?

The rich and the poor have one thing in common...24 hours every day. The quality of their self discipline, is evident in the quality of their results.

I am in my mid 30's I have started to see some of younger highly motivated guys/girls move ahead of me in career / financially etc. Whilst I seem to understand intellectually what is required to become an "achiever", I find it hard to wake up each more with the kind the same kind burning desire to take any kind of focused action to take me beyond the life of being quietly comfortable.
I'm the same. Perhaps it is my ambition to be quietly comfortable. I know those people who you are talking about: motivated, ambitious, killer instinct. They have what it takes to get ahead, which sometimes means burning other people (at least at my work it does). It may come down to personality. It's not in my nature to burn someone to get ahead although I have been given the opportunity to do so at my work. What I can't answer is whether someone who isn't ambitious can become so. Do people change that much?

If you want to be above average just follow one simple rule.

If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

It's all about perception

It really depends what you mean by above average? What is success to you? Some think it is owning a house, having a family, For others, it's career/ financial independence etc.That's why sometimes it is better to not compare yourself to others because everyone different perception for success.

IMHO, having the mental capacity to ask this question put you way above average.

I'll leave you with an anonymous quote:

"A Good Life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have."

Only when you're truly appreciative and grateful of what you have that you will receive more in life :)

Hi Always_Learning,

When you say you understand intellectually what is required to become an achiever, I was just wondering what do you think is required of you?

always_learning,

The few nicer things you refer to are very expensive things in my case - the most valuable one being time - of which I am highly motivated to acquire as much as possible.

I not only love challenges, but require them. I have a serious problem with being told I can't do something so maybe the insinuation that I can't own houses, ski lodges, expensive cars, give generously to charities and do all of those things while not having to work every day is my trigger.

Hi Always_Learning,

When you say you understand intellectually what is required to become an achiever, I was just wondering what do you think is required of you?

always_learning,

The few nicer things you refer to are very expensive things in my case - the most valuable one being time - of which I am highly motivated to acquire as much as possible.

I not only love challenges, but require them. I have a serious problem with being told I can't do something so maybe the insinuation that I can't own houses, ski lodges, expensive cars, give generously to charities and do all of those things while not having to work every day is my trigger.

Dude hasn't been on for like four years and the thread is over 10 years old.

If you want to be above average just follow one simple rule.

If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

So, someone like me who isn't smart, would therefore always find themselves in the 'right' room. I'd essentially be following the one simple rule. That means I'm above average, right? :)

Back