How to clean white floor grout

Things tried but did not work:
- steam mop
- scrubbing by hand
- dishwashing tablets made into a paste

Is there a product tried and tested that someone could let me in on please.

Not the most environmentally friendly nor very good for your health, but I usually go to town with hospital-strength bleach scrubbing as hard as I can without tearing out the grout. I also find Exit Mould helps, partly because some of the grout darkening is caused by mould and mildew and also because of the bleaching effect. The more heavy duty Easy Off Bam (the one with bleach in it) is OK too. In short, anything containing bleach is your friend.

If the grout is really old and permanently discoloured, the above won't get it. I'm not sure how the grout-specific products work, never used them. If all else fails, you'd have to regrout.

Liquid paper does the trick, and the brush is a perfect size for grout. Only good if you are a uni student trying to get your bond back.

I've had some success using a thick bleach such as Domestos. It tends to cling to the grout. The trick is to apply liberally and leave it. After, say, 12 hours or more, try scrubbing with a stiff grout brush (available at supermarkets).
If that fails, regrouting is probably the only other solution.
Good luck!

I use 'shower power' from the supermarket, spray on and leave for about 5 minutes then use my hand held steamer. You could leave on longer and use a scrubbing brush. Works a treat.

Sunshine

I've just finished my house after renting it for two years. Silly PM's must have thought the grout was black. It took a couple of hours per room - I'm sure there must be an easier way but it worked. You can buy grout scrubbers with black bristles and blue/white handles from supermarket (woolworths). I tried a normal dish scrubber without success, you really need the other one. Mop your floors until the water is clear. Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on grout. Scrub. Have a bucket of warm water. Mop dirt away. If its thick dirt, use paper towels or cloths. Old towels are handy too. I did this after I found straight bleach didn't work very well. Try to use bicarbonate sparingly as it will take less to clean up. The dirt needs to be wiped away, or else it settles back in the grout.

Last edited:
I know there are products around which rewhiten the grout but have not used them.

Anyone here used them?

Yep, and they work a treat. Bought mine from Bunnings (just ask one of the staff members to tell you where its kept, although you may need to search for half a day to find a staff member :mad:)

First wash tile joints as best you can (use whatever, bleach etc)

Allow to dry thoroughly. Then apply whitener with brush supplied and allow to dry. Wipe off any excess whitener that may be on the tiles.

Then whoolla!, your property is now ready for the next tenant (remind agent that you expect tiles to be in the same condition when tenant exits)

Back