I had to go to court this week

Jury duty.
First time - I was sort of looking forward to it. (They did say it was a 10 week trial, but I negotiated them down to a 3-5 day one.)
Criminal Court in Sydney CBD
There were 5 'panels'. A panel just means a group of people. I was on Panel C and my number was 94, so there were 500 people called up.
Of that 500, I'm guessing 300 showed up. Some would have forgotten, and others would have been excused before the day.
So they checked us in and marked a role.
Then we all sat in a big, windowless room - it was like being in a medical centre. The worst part was the fact that they had TVs on - I've never been a fan of daytime TV. Oh, and it's a long time since I've had instant coffee.
So we sat there.
They showed us a video about what happens on a jury.
Then we sat some more.
A few small groups of people got called up and taken away - presumably to a courtroom.
The rest of us just sat there.
At about 12.30 they made an announcement: 'That's it folks. there were seven trials due to start today and only one ended up starting. You can all go home.
I was sort of bemused. What a huge waste of alot of people's time. Over the years they would have looked at lots of ways to do the whole thing more sensibly, so maybe there is no other way.

i thik he's more referring to the fact that they wasted 300 people's time and chose only a VERY select handful (least educated, lower/middle class etc).

i'd be as pissed as a wasp on a hot summers day if that happened to me.

I managed to get out of it the one and only time I was called up. Had to front the beak and give him my excuse. "Well Your Honour, I'm an expert witness in this trial!" :D

So someone in the department was not doing their DD, eh!

What a huge waste of alot of people's time.

Depends which hat (or wig) you are wearing. I think if you asked them, they'd say it was your civic duty, and if they were brutally honest, they'd probably think that your time was not as valuable as theirs, so it might have wasted alot of people's time, but it wasn't valuable time.....

When they charge $ 6,000 per day for QC's time....more for barristers, I don't the courts give a rats about the average person's time.

If it needs to be wasted to keep them going...so be it....the public are eminently expendable.

A bit like waiting in the Doctor's queue when they go over appointment times....just a bit worse.

Sort of slots you in nicely where you fit in society - according to their definition. Nothing like knowing what station in life you are. Of course, everyone thinks they are the most important person in the world.....reality is tough when we find out we are well down the totem pole.

Most won't admit it, or refuse to accept it.....

Why not try charging them in blocks of 6 minutes....$ 100 per block....that'd wake 'em up.

I also agree with the previous comment about them selecting the dregs. Go in dressed up and speak eloquently and you're guaranteed not to get picked.

I wasn't really annoyed. More bemused than anything. Definitely felt like fodder, though.
I didn't mind at all being called up, but having given up the time, I was hoping to at least get onto a jury - I'm up for any new experience.
I did dress down and very nearly bought a copy of the Telegraph (Sydney's tabloid rag) to tuck under my arm.

i made it as far as the court room. it was a robbery and assault, they looked like guilty thugs too.... I had already convicted them. anyway I had barely taken 2 steps before I was rejected as a juror. the suit and tie worked a treat and i was back at work around lunch time.

In about 1978 I had the great honour and privilege of being called for Jury Duty.

I was to make myself available at the William Street Courts between 9am and 5pm for three consecutive days.

I was thrilled.

If ever I am on trial for anything, I would like to think that a panel of my peers would be available to hear the case, so I was very pleased to be able to perform my duty and off I went.

The Jury Pool room was pretty ordinary, to say the least.

We all just sat there as described by depreciator, except that there was no TV. There was a small kitchenette but that was about it.

At intervals a Clerk would come into the room, read out from a list of names, and a gang of people would rise up and leave the room.

Late in the morning of the first day my name was called and off I went. The group I was with was ushered into a Court Room and we crammed against the back wall for a while then the empanelment commenced.

We were to walk across the room towards the Jury Box, and the Defence could challenge. They had a list of our names and occupations.

To my great surprise, I found myself sitting in the Box!

The Trial may go on for two to three weeks, we were told, and we were given the opportunity to excuse ourselves if that would create a burden. As it was, the Trial was over by the Friday afternoon and we hadn’t needed to be Locked In, which was a bit of a let down.

It was a great experience and I was very proud of being part of our judicial system and process. It was not a waste of time at all and we were offered a basic payment for each day we were empanelled.

We have all fought long and hard for our freedom and our democratic way of life. A couple of days is not a high price to pay to ensure the impartiality and fairness of our judicial system.

It is an honour to be called to do our duty and one which many people in many countries in the world will never have the privilege to be asked to perform.

Cheers
Kristine

I have been called several times, but have never served.

Once (many years ago) I was a student. The notice was "forwarded" to my university address, but never received. It was not the practice then to forward jury notices. I would have been happy the to receive the extra income.

On the next two occasions, I was a contractor, but working for a law enforcement agency. That made me ineligible.

Now, as a business owner, a jury callup would be debilitating. It could kill my business. I was only just starting to get one shop into a bit of remote control when the second shop appeared.

Yep, being a business owner is no excuse Geoff - I've known people who have just not shown up and risked the fine (not sure if they ended up being fined).
I was told that I'm off the hook for 12 months.
The women running the thing looked at me like I was a mad when I said I was disappointed and didn't mind coming back sooner than that.
She's probably made a note on my file that I'm obviously a bit unhinged and should never be called up again.
Scott

A few small groups of people got called up and taken away - presumably to a courtroom.
The rest of us just sat there.
At about 12.30 they made an announcement: 'That's it folks. there were seven trials due to start today and only one ended up starting. You can all go home.
I've been called up three times now ,even went into the courtroom 2 times
but when they called my name up and i had to walk up to the bench and was just about to touch the book ,the barristers said challenged,then just had to sit back down,just don't think they liked the look of me..willair..

Now, as a business owner, a jury callup would be debilitating. It could kill my business.
In that case you simply write back to them, explaining the situation, and you will be excused. I had to do it around 9 years ago when my business was only 6 months old (at that stage I was the only employee).

Crikey Willair I'd feel mighty miffed if I walked across the room and got rejected !
I'd want to know why, it would bother me for weeks!

Though years ago I applied to work at Centrelink (ok I got desperate) and they rejected my application after the interview!! I was mortified. Until someone I later met (who did recruitment for them) explained to me that my thinking style/personality type was completely wrong for Centrelink. Must be the same for the courts.

I got called up once but we had just taken over Go Gecko and I just couldn't spare the time. Wrote them a letter and was excused, all very easy really. I seriously contemplated it first as I'd love to be involved in the process.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

do juries get PAID?

Yup.

Payment for jurors

Persons who serve on juries are paid a daily allowance. Currently, the allowance is:

* $36 per day for service of 6 days or less
* $72 per day for service of more than 6 days but less than 12 months
* $144 per day for service lasting over 12 months.

Persons who have to travel in excess of 8 kms to the court can also claim a travel allowance of 38 cents per kilometre.

http://www.liv.asn.au/public/legalinfo/court/court-Juries.html#Heading29

But if you're an employee in a large firm, typically they will pay you your normal salary, and you forward them the jury duty money.

Hi all,

I can reiterate Kristines experience. In about '81 or '82 I was called to the same William st courts. It was just as described. I think we were paid $12 per day.

I remember being called up twice for a trial.

The first one was for 3 youngish blokes on conspiracy charges to rob a warehouse. They had 36 challenges between them. The defense lawyers challenged anyone with a professional background. They only wanted the unemployed, salesman and house wives on the jury. The prosecution only challenged twice, one a waterside worker, the other a builders labourer:rolleyes:

I was challenged by the defense. The defense had used up all their challenges by the time the last juror was chosen, his occupation, security guard. The prosecution lawyers were trying to contain their laughter, so were the rest of us.
It was one of those occasions where real life was funnier than fiction, after that everyone was talking to everyone back in the jury pool, in an almost party atmosphere.

bye

I've been called numerous times but always right in the middle of an exam period, so I've had to write back asking to be excused. The funny thing is that their recall period must be set to exactly one or two years, because each year the next letter asking me to serve came at the same time, and once again I'd have to write back and ask to be excused again. :)

Hi there
I have only ever been called to jury service once and that was in Texas in the United States. I excused myself on the grounds that I was a member of the legal profession and as a jury must decide questions of fact and not law - I was ineligible for any further service.
I did once sit in on the panelling of a jury trial in the ACT where my dad had been called to do jury service. The defence counsel would have reviewed their defendant - and would challenge anyone who would not likely have any empathy with them. As has been highlighted, there are only so many challenges that can be made and then the jury is on the panel and paid the amounts referred to which are set normally by legislation depending upon the court.
I particularly feel for those people who are involved in the horrific murder trials - who often suffer trauma as a result of being involved on the panel. Here's hoping that those of you who have to serve - don't get one of those matters
thanks

Back