Ideas to add 3rd bedroom to existing plan

Hi guys

Would like to get some idea on how to add value on this property, eg by adding the 3rd bedroom. I have 2 so far:
- Change the meal room into a 3rd bedoom and move the pantry and fridge to the left hand side of the kitchen. I may lose some natural light from doing this

- Change the lounge area into a 3rd bedoom, open up the meal area and change the laundry into a second bathroom/shower

What do you think of these? Any other ideas? Thanks :)

Attachments

• plan.pdf
    358 KB · Views: 159
Hi guys

Would like to get some idea on how to add value on this property, eg by adding the 3rd bedroom. I have 2 so far:
- Change the meal room into a 3rd bedoom and move the pantry and fridge to the left hand side of the kitchen. I may lose some natural light from doing this

- Change the lounge area into a 3rd bedoom, open up the meal area and change the laundry into a second bathroom/shower

What do you think of these? Any other ideas? Thanks :)

The second option would definitely add more value, and is alot easier to do as well.

Stud wall in the lounge room to come across to meet the existing corner of the dining room. Add a robe. Knock out the airlock in entry, and create a new doorway that goes directly into the new open plan living.

Knock out the wall separating the meals and dining, to create open plan.

Convert the laundry into an en suite.

Incorporate the new laundry into the kitchen with two under bench cupboards for washer/dryer.

It all depends on your roof structure of course. If it's a trussed roof, then your good to go, if not then you may have to get a few beams put in.

Great ideas. I like the ideas about ensuite and hidden laundry. Although I have never come across hidden laundry in kitchen

I assume that this is a strata property? You'd be knocking out supporting walls - will no doubt require body corp approval, if so, how big is the complex?

Where do the meal and verandah "down" stairs go to? And the ldy "up" stairs? Strange...

I assume that this is a strata property? You'd be knocking out supporting walls - will no doubt require body corp approval, if so, how big is the complex?

Where do the meal and verandah "down" stairs go to? And the ldy "up" stairs? Strange...

No, it is a free standing house. The small stairs are to backyard
Speaking about approval, do I need to get council approval to add the third bedroom and second bathroom? I think I do but just not sure

Option 2 you will need to bring a natural light source into the room as it will be dark without a window or skylight, and most likely wont pass as a habitable room

I like MRCCON's plan, but I would also add a deck to the back. Even if you make it a deck without a roof and add a shade sail, it gives another "living room" for the warmer months.

Where is the house? Would a deck be a plus?

I like MRCCON's plan, but I would also add a deck to the back. Even if you make it a deck without a roof and add a shade sail, it gives another "living room" for the warmer months.

Where is the house? Would a deck be a plus?

In Blackburn. Deck would be a plus definitely

What verandah? Do you mean the meals area?

I doubt that double doors into that room would satisfy the natural light and ventilation source requirements.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question.

The double door to the meal room, together with the wall would be removed so we will have open plan space from current dining to the meal and kitchen. Is this what you meant?

Ah OK in that case it should be OK. You would need to confirm if the rear meals/kitchen is original or an extension, as I would bet its probably an extension and the wall between dining and meals is load bearing.

Ah OK in that case it should be OK. You would need to confirm if the rear meals/kitchen is original or an extension, as I would bet its probably an extension and the wall between dining and meals is load bearing.

It shouldn't be an issue, even if that is the case.

For a 6m span on a single story like that, thats purely roof and ceiling load, a 250 UB 25.7 steel universal section is nearly always big enough. Which is around $450.

Even then, a consult to confirm it from a structural engineer is about $150.

You just drop the ceiling in the kitchen and meals to bottom of beam height.

It not only removes the box look, but creates nice clean lines and help seperate the kitchen from living room for design purposes, but remains open plan.

Back