If you had only 250k to buy a house, where would it be and why?

You can buy in Warrnambool for around that price. I'd buy and hold with a view to unit development for future boomer retirement (mine included) :)

I settle on a 4x2 weatherboard in Mount Austin (Wagga Wagga) on the 18th June, purchase price $216,000... New tenants move in on the 19th June paying $315p/w rent

Nice!! What did it go for?

i thought it was a lot at the time
now i know it was a bargain lol

-Savanna100
i once had breakfast in Warrnambool before we did the great ocean drive
it was delicious :)

great to hear so many people finding great investments everywhere!

Rockhampton still has good buys

I would buy in Rockhampton, you can still pick up good buys with excellent rental returns, I wish we had brought more here!

Maybe look at these
Lutana - about 5 km north of Hobart. Can get a weatherboard on 700 Sqm with river views for around 250 (area has a but of stigma as a bit of heavy industry)

Seaton - west of Adelaide near the beach. You might be lucky enough to get a house there still for 250. The area has had a bit of a rush lately
You could also look at Taperoo, Osbourne or Christies Beach

North Shore - its a little pocket in front of Norlane in Geelong. It fronts the bay but has industry either side. If the industry goes (as it has been) they will redevelop the whole area
Very speculative and risky but huge potential rewards. I guess if you have a good tenant then what have you got to worry about

Lake Macquarie - Toronto or surrounding suburbs. Good lifestyle locations and rents seem to be at a premium , perfect mix for investment if you ask me

Redcliffe peninsula- 30 km from Brisbane
Beach suburbs which are a rarity in Brisbane, very cheap when compared with other similiar locations in Aus

WA I would avoid - wouldn't like to be buying in a boom cycle as prices have already risen sharply there.

WA I would avoid - wouldn't like to be buying in a boom cycle as prices have already risen sharply there.

Plus you wouldn't get anything for $250,000 anyway :(

I've noticed in the last few weeks prices have gone stupid over here - is it sustainable or bound to come to a screeching halt in a month or two (panic buying)?

I'm looking around now while refinancing an existing property but even the shitboxes on big lots in crappy suburbs seem way overpriced to me.

With the contraction of the mining construction sector resulting in less jobs and lower salaries plus the belt tightening by the big miners I can't see these prices being sustainable for very long.

I recently posted this in response to a question on another thread, but it's more relevant here. Please note, even whilst living in Melboure, I have been investing in QLD due to the strong economy and growth potential...

Unlike WA which has been booming and looks to me to be somewhat 'overcooked', much of QLD has been pretty much languishing for some years, until now. And if you do a detailed analysis of what's happening already and what's in the pipeline, your mind will likely boggle.
So, to answer you question, if I had 200k to invest, and I hadn't already done so, I would put it into QLD. On the whole, yields are comparably good across many areas, and growth is due. At the moment, the areas I would look at within QLD would include:
Toowoomba - diverse economy, infrastructure upgrade, proximity to Surat Basin and Brisbane, good average income, due for steady growth.
Brisbane region - Northern or Southern areas out of flood zone, (including Logan). Both look like they are starting to bubble
Rockhampton - diverse economy, including but not reliant on mining, excellent buy in prices, great yields, and due for significant growth
Townsville - stacks of infrastructure investment, port expansion, mining, population growth etc, good buy in prices and yields if you know where to look (I'm based there).
Would also re-visit areas of Cairns & beaches. Its economy is becoming more diversified, good population growth, excellent yields, tightening vacancies, some big ticket Chinese investor targeting the area, as well as International airport and growing FIFO.
That's probably about it for now. Have also looked at Mackay, Proserpine, Whitsunday's, Bowen, Ipswich etc, but personally wouldn't recommend them at the moment.
Just my personal opinions, please don't take as investment advice.
cheers
Jen

Great overview, many thanks JenJen.

Brisbane in general has popped it's head up a few times recently.

Rockhampton seemed to go a bit quiet over the last 6 months or so (or maybe I was in the wrong place at the time). Do you still think that Rocky has potential/sustained performance??

If one looks really hard, its possible to get an old house on a dual occ site in Frankston for around $250k.

Frankston is a beachside suburb with more than its fair share of bogans.

But at that sort of price, the upside is a certainty.

Been very quiet and prices have gone backwards, although not to the $250k level. I still think it is a winner in the long term. the train line is finally going in and the new bridge makes it so much easier to get to and the old stigma of Deadcliffe is changing, but it is still 30k or so off its heights in 2008 - which is when I bought :-( - still it is cash flow +ve so I can afford to wait.

Why would you buy in redcliffe when you can buy something closer to brisbane with the same price? Redcliffe is nice, but there's no industry, many retirees there... Better to buy something closer to a capital city... No?

Why would you buy in redcliffe when you can buy something closer to brisbane with the same price? Redcliffe is nice, but there's no industry, many retirees there... Better to buy something closer to a capital city... No?

So we are talking around 300k and under

In what suburbs?

I can't think of too much

Also if it's not less than 15 km from the city I would go the beach suburb
After all there are not that many options for these lifestyle locations around Brisbane and not everyone moves to gold / sunshine coast

How much does it cost to buy into a Sydney coastal suburb 30km from the city?

Back