I'm a working Australian

I don't get anything - again!!!!
But I can guarantee I will be called on by the ATO to make up the
deficit with extra taxes.

You're not alone. I only work part-time, but because my losses are greater than my income, I don't pay tax, so no stimulus package for me. My eldest works full time, but is on a traineeship and only had income for half the year, which means she paid no tax, so she won't get it either and Hubby might (the taxes haven't been done yet, so don't know for sure) squeeze in to get a small portion depending on the amount of losses for the year.

It is Taxable income less than $100k, not people earning less than $100k. We have two salaries (paid through our own Pty Ltd company) and two adult children who work so we each get the $950.

It is Taxable income less than $100k, not people earning less than $100k. We have two salaries (paid through our own Pty Ltd company) and two adult children who work so we each get the $950.

We may not get anything just yet. The liberals are saying they will vote against it in the Senate

im glad that Turnbull actually stood up and said "NO" this time around.

About time someone stepped up and told Krudd to spend our surplus WISELY. Cash handouts, whilst awesome for the individuals, are not awesome for our economy and budget IMO.
That money could be much better spend elsewhere!
- bankroll the complete upgrade of the Pacific Hwy from sydney-brisbane
- partner with private investors to build a larger sydney metro network (including the northwest metro)
- build some new water catchment dams for brisbane
.... etc etc.

Unfortunately i dont think Krudd can see past the chequebook to the larger picture. He just knows how to hand out money.
Talk about a real life example of re-distributing the pie rather than making the pie larger.

Guys

The stimulus measures are SHORT TERM measures that impact the economy RIGHT NOW. Cash in pockets has an immediate impact.

Building new infrastructure wont have an impact for at least 2 - 3 years. Do you have any idea how long it take to get EPA approval? Even if the approve the funds right now for a massive new dam in Brisbane, they will not be able to turn a sod until 2011 at the very earliest.

HIRING CONSTRUCTION WORKERS FOR HIGHWAYS IN 2011 - 2014 DOESNT HELP AUSTRALIA IN JANUARY 2009.

Infrastructure etc all take waay too long to get happening - there are far too many processes to do anything in under 36 months. And no one is suggesting we should just run rampshod over government planning processes.

Turnbull is being quite dishonest. He knows the stimulus is needed now and that Helicopter Swan (or immediate tax cuts) are the only way to deliver it.

^ITA. Although cash handouts make me uncomfortable (whether I get it or not) it does seem that there are precious few other fiscal options for an immediate stimulus. Can I also point out that they would have considered this measure less risky than further tax-cuts, as the latter may well cause a structural deficit which is hard to redress in the future.

the EPA need to work in conjunction with other government bodies - not be a seperate entity available for comment.

red tape in the country is abhorrent.

there is a lot of spin about this whole thing. it suggests that people who have a taxable income less than $100000 pa last year will get the max $950. not true.
on checking the ato site if your taxable income was for example $30000 but offsets were applied, for say imputation credits or low income, senior tax offset.
you are not eligible.
the devil is in the detail. as usual. regards

Do the 'self employed' qualify, I wonder. So if it means I live on rental income & pay tax but @ $40K p.a., I strike pay dirt?

Maybe 2009 will become a first & I finally finally get a govt handout! Hoo hoo and I've been extremely obedient. I bought a stack of goods from Harvey Norman.

Exciting times indeed.
KY

Hi Pully, just noticed your last post. Bugger, bugger, bugger. I pay GST in large amounts & still can't get the $950. Where is the dummy, gimme so I can spit it at someone.
KY

there is a lot of spin about this whole thing. it suggests that people who have a taxable income less than $100000 pa last year will get the max $950. not true.
on checking the ato site if your taxable income was for example $30000 but offsets were applied, for say imputation credits or low income, senior tax offset.
you are not eligible.
the devil is in the detail. as usual. regards

That's only if your offsets are more than your taxes, ie. you didn't have to pay any tax at all! A + O - G > 0 and taxable income under the threshold and you should get the $950, where A is taxable income, O is medicare levy, and G is offsets and credits.

I just happened to be on holidays and only worked part of the year... after IP deductions means no tax paid...

Bonus for low income earners my ***! Low income earners don't qualify because of zero tax paid.

Once again I get nothing, we got screwed on the FHOG and we're getting screwed on this, and since we have no kids we get screwed out of any other payments there too.

However this year with a marginal rate of 30% they are happy to take tax from our prockets to redistribute to everyone else.

I should be happy for everyone else who are in the middle or the average.. but screw that I wanna have a whinge.

Wahh!!! :mad:

What happens when the economy is back on track and we once again have the problem of THE GREAT CURRENT ACCOUNT DEFICIT.
The liberals will once again inherit a budget that will take 10 years to clean up all over again.

Enough said :(

Hmmm, once again the 'average' seem to recieve all. Why bother aspiring to be better than average? Just to pay more tax and have more headaches from it all so it seems.

Alright so a handout seems to be a short term way of dealing with things, but why so much? $950 is a really big number. Is there a limit, I mean what if you have 8 kids?

I think the parents of children (not the kiddies themselves) get $950 PER CHILD if they get Family Tax A (so not everyone but a lot of ppl).

Now a big family of say 8 kids would see $7600!!!

My point is that I understand a cash handout seems necessary for an instant nudge in spending but those figures frighten me.

Especially when so many a. miss out and b. pay later for someone else's Bali holiday... Yes I know blah blah it will be spent on shoes and bananas and I'm horrible to even suggest they might spend it on fun and selfish things.

Please someone correct me and say there is a limit of two handouts per family.

such a load of hogwash.

blowing money on total cr@p now does not deliver benefits to the economy. there are endless lists of infrastructure works that could start immediately. The speed of destruction of taxpayers wealth is monumental and disgusting, if not verging on criminal

Couldn't beds be "opened" immediately in hospitals or other more pressing things be done RIGHT NOW?

I realise the big infrastructure jobs will need long lead-in and red tape times, but I agree with Ausprop that there is so much that could have been fixed RIGHT NOW that would still stimulate the economy.

Back