I'm Doin' it!!

I made some progress this week, have created the wardrobes between the original bedroom and the new one, and had a bit of luck hanging the ceiling plaster sheets, with the young bloke across the road, who had a day off.:)

I'm pretty right now to stop up the plaster and do the arcs and skirtings.

Just a couple of pics of my home made sheet lifter, it is air operated and controlled with an old shower breech and tap set.:)

Attachments

• 100_2684.jpg
    100_2684.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_2686.jpg
    100_2686.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 139
Hi battler,

There may not be many comments in this thread, but I am following it and really enjoying your progress.

Well done on the ingenuity and please keep the wonderful pictorial story going.

bye

Dunno how you put on half a house for $30k! The reno we did last year cost us nearly that simply to refresh a 3BR weatherboard. (brand new kitchen, spouting, laserlight, paint inside and out, new built-ins, polished floors.)

Great work!

A bit more progress after being home for a week or so. We've taken out the original front window to open into the new lounge room, or kitchen depending on where you stand.:D I've hung the last of the plaster, and that included blocking the original front door that is no longer required. :)

Attachments

• 100_2699.jpg
    100_2699.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_2700.jpg
    100_2700.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 142
Hi battler,
amazing thread ... and love your work. please keep the pictures + updates coming!!! and hey ... extend the thread into bldg the new place in the back as well. Absolutely Love it.

will spend $30k on this addition

btw, quick q on the costs. Are you saving a (fair) bit on the labour by doing most of the work yourself? assume as an owner builder? hence this is mostly the material costs?

else you may just have the most competetive builder in the country working for you :)

btw, quick q on the costs. Are you saving a (fair) bit on the labour by doing most of the work yourself?

Yes, I think so,

I save income tax on not having to earn more money to pay others.

I save the GST on contractors prices.

I save the wages for contractors I don't need to employ (no disrespect to tradies).

And my wife saves money cos she only pays beer money!

Keep in mind this is not for everyone, it requires a lot of planning, timing and support from your wife, and the ability to be unemployed in order to have the time to do it, to me it's a labour of love,......and a few beers:)

Hi All, I've made some progress, all the plastering is finished except for the cornices in two rooms. I've nearly finished the arcs and skirtings so will be able to get some undercoat on soon to stop the dust, did I tell you about the dust?:D

I did have a change of work today, I thought I'd better cut the grass as it was 2ft high:eek:

Anyway a couple of pics.;)

I miss you Kath.:)

Attachments

• 100_2721.jpg
    100_2721.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_2722.jpg
    100_2722.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_2725.jpg
    100_2725.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 146
I've now finished the cornices, arcs and skirtings, hung all the doors and fitted the robes with shelves etc.

I got a coat of sealer/undercoat over all the new stuff and this has greatly reduced the dust.

Home for a few days now and then back to finish the painting.:)

Well I've finished the painting, airco is in and they're measuring for carpet tomorrow. Sparkie will fit it off on monday, so all will be working.

The last few weeks I've been working inside here, the days have been warm and dry, now that I have to complete the outside, it's going to be wet for the next week:(

Couple more pics, plus my rotating TV stand:D

Attachments

• 100_2727.jpg
    100_2727.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_2731.jpg
    100_2731.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_2734.jpg
    100_2734.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 132
The Sparkie finished on Monday and we have made some progress on the back wall in between mostly overnight rain. I've still got to remove the old laundry and finish the hardieplank across the rear, but we did manage to top soil and seed the yards.....now I'm happy for the rain.:)

Attachments

• 100_2736.jpg
    100_2736.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_2741.jpg
    100_2741.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_2739.jpg
    100_2739.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 114
Hi Battler .This is my first post ,have been following this thread with great interest .Love the pics .how close are you to completion ? :D

Jann, I haven't been there for a couple of weeks, but the carpet goes in on monday and I will get the final inspection for occupancy after that.

I still have some to do outside including demolishing the old shed in preparation for the second house when I get around to it.:)

Back