I'm watching a business fail

Not mine, thankfully.

It's the coffee shop right across the road from the office - I can see it out the window.

It's one of those CBD hole in the wall places.

The woman who owned it for ages sold it last week.

She was smart, cheeky, a bit flirty, and had one of those memories we wish we all had.

If you went there once, you never had to order again. People who always ordered one coffee (like me) would walk up, stand on the footpath and she would see them. Then she would call out their name and tell them their coffee was ready.

People whose turn it was to get coffee for their work mates would show up and she would say, 'Everyone?'.

They might say, 'No, just me, Roger, Jane, Mary and Peter wants a double shot.'

I was standing there once reading the paper and a bloke wandered up. She called out, 'Peter. Flat white with two?'. He nodded and caught my eye and told me he'd been working in North Sydney and hadn't been there for four years.

At any time up till noon, there could be as many as a dozen people standing on the footpath. There were never none.

She finished up last Thursday.

Friday morning, there was a young, slightly lost Chinese bloke behind the machine. It's a generalisation I know, but deserts and coffees aren't their strong point.

Monday this week they were closed.

He's been there for the rest of the week, but I reckon business must be down about 80%. Within a 300 metre radius of my office, there would be at least a dozen places that make coffee. There is now no reason for people to walk past them and go to this one.

I've perservered with him because he's a nice young bloke and I feel a bit sorry for him. I reckon he would be mystified at where all the business has gone.

He would have done a bit of due diligence before the purchase, but he would have been looking at the numbers on paper. What he should have done is get there at 6am one morning and sit there till 3pm when she closed and watch her operate. All those businesses have that 'goodwill' intangible, but anybody who watched her operate would never buy that business at the on paper value.

It's noon now, and the foothpath is deserted.

Scott

They must have had a change over period before he took over, maybe a fortnight or a month. He could have seen her operate then.

Still, the deal was probably done by then.

Poor guy. Still, this is why I refuse to buy into that "goodwill" stuff. There was a fish n chip shop I was interested in (please, no Greek jokes :D) that had been closed for 12 months with equipment worth maybe 30k, and they wanted 400k in goodwill. I politely asked them if they would like to reconsider after they stopped chainsmoking marijuana cigarettes and shooting elephant loads of LSD prior to business meetings, since there was another fish n chip shop that was giving away all their equipment etc free just so long as you paid rent (part of the complex caught on fire and the whole place was closed for a couple of years waiting for insurance to fix the burnt part) but alas, they were firm on price.

...2 years later and it's still closed. LSD demand still going strong though. A coincidence? The magic 8 ball says "...it may be so" :p

Yeah, I would have thought that too, Evan, but Friday was the first time I had seen him.

For the last month or two there has been a young guy in the tiny kitchen area right beside her. I knew she had sold and I assumed he was the buyer. So I was surprised on Friday to see the other guy there behind the machine.

I remember a guy who bought one of the three milk bar/ takeaway food shops in a small town of 2000 people. He made it the best shop in no time and all and after 12 months or so sold it at a profit and moved on. The next owner was hopeless. Offering to microwave a pie for me one day (beacause he had sold all the hot one) he was complaining that you can never know how many pies to heat up and he didn't like to waste them. I don 't know if he worked out why his business never performed like the books suggested. I reckon that in this town it wouldn't matter which shop you bought as long as you were better than the other two. Goodwill is a load of **** IMO.

She'll be able to buy the place across the road back in 6 months for bugger-all. He'll probably be happy to give it to her if she takes over the lease. In two months word would spread and she would have the business back and humming along. But she's having a baby and I think she's probably done her time.

All very true comments, I used to call on a lot of small businesses in on of my jobs and food is the most fickle of all.

What used to amaze me and I used to see it regularly, where people would buy a place, change the menu completely and then complain to me that they had been "ripped off" by the vendor when the punters went elsewhere :confused:

we can feel sorry for the guy but in reality it is someone who didn't do their homework properly.

Sometimes the owner operator is the business.

Our little biz would make us 1 mil in profit per annum, but plan to stop after a couple more years.
However, I don't really expect to get anything for it when selling, apart from the remaining stock, as I don't expect anybody can run it the way wife and I do.

I don't feel sorry for anybody who simply buys a business.
They almost always pay too much and expect automatic returns.
Why not just build a biz for almost zero start up and do some hard work, it will pay off much better.

We have a cafe up the hill that has had probably six different owners and change of decor/menu/etc.

It just has NEVER worked. The initial business was pretty good, but once they went, every single business that moves in closes. They just don't seem to be able to get it right... wrong menu, wrong prices, wrong type of food, wrong decor, aiming at the wrong clientele for the area.

There are six other cafe/food businesses that have been running for years in the same area, but this one shop seems to have some sort of jinx.

Hopefully he had some good clauses in the sales contract that will keep her lawyers busy for some time. Unfortunately for him he may not have those relevant clauses in the contract.

We used to go to a little local restaurant about once a month. Meals were not too expensive and were a good size. One night the owner told us he had sold it. But he said don't worry as the chef had bought it.

We went about 2 months later and the prices had gone up and the meals were smaller. We never returned.

LESSON- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Friday morning, there was a young, slightly lost Chinese bloke behind the machine. It's a generalisation I know, but deserts and coffees aren't their strong point.
Scott

It may be a generalisation, but I believe it's true.

Just last night I had a light meal with the wife at a cafe in a shopping centre, was owned and run by Chinese, although a well known franchise.
I told her, Chinese don't know how to make good coffee (meaning, a cafe in general), she was not really happy about it, as she is Chinese herself...
My food was not done as it should have been.
But I've seen it many times before, Chinese/Asian owners trying to run cafes and something is just not right, mostly the lack of personalitity and friendliness, which is a massive part of such a business.
You're not just buying a product, you're buying an experience too.

As mentioned above, I think they pay alot of attention to the figures, but may not think much about what the customer really want and expect.

There will be exceptions to this, I'm sure.

Hopefully he had some good clauses in the sales contract that will keep her lawyers busy for some time. Unfortunately for him he may not have those relevant clauses in the contract.

what are you talking about ?

what clauses ?

the guy bought something... he got what he paid for iwthout getting surprised that he thguth hee would be getting more than he received.

Is that not end of story ?

Is that not end of story ?

I know some where not only does the past owner have to work in a management or business devel role at the firm for a number of years, part of the proceeds of the business sale is paid through part ownership share over a period of a few years while they continue to work there.

This way they are still invested in what the business is doing and care.

Losing the owner of a business to its operations is far more devastating to a business than losing even a top manager. They are the cog that can turn any wheel usually knowing everything about it. No one can just step into this role.

It would seem this is even the case for a cafe let alone more complex businesses.

I know some where not only does the past owner have to work in a management or business devel role at the firm for a number of years, part of the proceeds of the business sale is paid through part ownership share over a period of a few years while they continue to work there.

This way they are still invested in what the business is doing and care.

Losing the owner of a business to its operations is far more devastating to a business than losing even a top manager. They are the cog that can turn any wheel usually knowing everything about it. No one can just step into this role.

It would seem this is even the case for a cafe let alone more complex businesses.

That still does not clarify what coastymike wrote for me ?

A lady sold a buisness, a bloke bought it.. .why shoudl the bloike have clauses that will keep the lady's lawuyers busy for year ?

WTF has she done wrong ? What is unforatunate >? He got waht whe wanted / she got what she wanted :confused:

Is coastymike syaign somehww he got ripped off ?

That still does not clarify what coastymike wrote for me ?

A lady sold a buisness, a bloke bought it.. .why shoudl the bloike have clauses that will keep the lady's lawuyers busy for year ?

WTF has she done wrong ? What is unforatunate >? He got waht whe wanted / she got what she wanted :confused:

Is coastymike syaign somehww he got ripped off ?
Just the way the contract can be set-up,with one simple clause that the former owner can't operate that type of business within a certain area of the business,and there would be various others that come to mind..

My old man started a wholesale business from scratch. Ran it for over 10 years and did well. Work from home father/wife type thing. Over 10 weeks hollidays per year, never worked friday after 12pm (cause that is against his religion ;) ).

I wanted to franchise it as I reckon it would work. Dad simply wanted to retire and didn't want to take any risks expanding so sold it. In hindsite I should have started it again as there was no restriction of trade lol, but I have a different business now which suits me so all is good.

The new buyer was a total moron (B). He expanded a bit, was EXTREMELY rude and CONDESENDING to clients, and sold it for a profit.

Next buyer took it from bad to worse and went broke. B bought it back (after a long court battle) and continues to run it into the ground.

B lied to clients that he was in business with my old man, and dad went mental..

It is such a shame, as it is a good work from home business with an easy startup of ~$60k stock and equipment, you choose the days you want off and everyone raises the middle finger at B :D

Floated the idea of starting it up again with an investor but he was a tyre kicker so it's just too much hassle.

Clients still wished my old man owned it..B is still a DH..and dad just wants to be retired..

Good will is often only worth something if the new owner has a compatible personality and skillset. Even then, it is a huge gamble.

A tale of two cafes -

There was a cafe on a corner of Crown St is Surry Hills that was forever failing and changing hands. Me and my mates used to call it Death Corner, and thought it was simply on the wrong side of the street. Then a young couple and a friend of theirs bought it as a team, put in bifold windows, gave it a funky paint job, put on a snazzy fresh-ingredients menu and focussed on getting the coffee perfect. It boomed! 3 years later they sold it, and did the same to another and another and another in different parts of Sydney one year apart each, so they now control three properties (managing one cafe each). One simple formula and a lot of hard work has done the trick for them.

Another cafe in Surry Hills (about 200m away but not on Crown St) was a fish and chip shop for many years, trying to stay alive selling second-rate product to its increasingly affluent residents. It just struggled to stay alive for a few miserable years after we moved into the area. Then some Chinese bought it and introduced a totally frozen out-of-the-carton menu. Dead of course in 6 months. Then a dodgy falafel bar, predictably dead in 6 mths too, followed by an even more dodgy BBQ chicken bar, equally dead in a surpisingly long 6 mths. What they all had in common was trying to serve rubbish to a resident population that simply doesn't eat rubbish and can absolutely afford not to. Now the place has got newpaper on its windows again and some other poor mug is evidently about to give it a go. Good luck!

This tells me you need to know your market and serve exactly what it wants, at exactly the right price point, with exactly the right vibe. At least, in the more affluent markets. Personalities matter too, of course, but they're not enough on their own.

Back