Increasing Rental Yield - Air Conditioning

this should be simple.

No no, you've got it all wrong Ausprop. No-one wrote anything of the sort. No-one even suggested anything of the sort. No-one even hinted at suggesting the implication.

You've twisted and contorted everything up as usual.

It's all how you view it. The raw dollar figures simply don't come into it.

Keep thinking of the big picture.

You're a very negative person Ausprop.

I'm with Rixter, Peterw and wylie. You're on your own pal.

I'm with Rixter and Peterw in that, if we can upgrade our IPs and increase the rent to more than cover the cost to us per week, it makes the IP easier to rent next time. Dishwashers and air-conditioning are two obvious examples of things that were considered somewhat of a luxury in a rental even ten years ago, but are almost expected now. A house with them would certainly rent faster than without, all other things being equal.

That is not quite true. Yes in some markets you will require them but in others it is not a consideration.

In many rural areas, dishwashers are not really called for and tenants will not pay any more for them.

In Tasmainia, you will need heating, but not air conditioning.

As with everything with regards to property, everything should be assessed on individual merits.

In many rural areas, dishwashers are not really called for and tenants will not pay any more for them.

In Tasmainia, you will need heating, but not air conditioning.
Yes, dishwashers are a rare beast here, heating is essential (wood fires are a bit iffy with the elderly or people who can't cut wood), airconditioners are just a nice extra.

The last 1br unit in a block I rented didn't have OR need airconditioning, it was on the ground floor, faced south and was well shaded. I'm sure the top floor unit at the other end in the northern sun overlooking the carpark was in dire need of an aircon though :)

I agree totally. I was talking about "our" houses in our area. Everyone must decide for their own area what it is that tenants will pay extra for.

We are in the Blue Mountains this week and heating would be pretty important for houses here :D

I agree totally. I was talking about "our" houses in our area. Everyone must decide for their own area what it is that tenants will pay extra for.

We are in the Blue Mountains this week and heating would be pretty important for houses here :D

Only between March and November!! :D

Did I read that right .... Dazz agreed with me ..... where is the closest newsagent .... I am off to buy a lotto ticket .. :)

Yes, but she did it to preserve her anonymity on the interwebs, so we really ought to stop calling her Kim! Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose :)

Unless I'm mistaken, she originally included her surname in her username. Many people could be named "Kim", however there would only be a handful of those Kim's with the same surname, so anonymity is still preserved. You will also note that I did not call her Kim prior to BV asking why everyone was calling her this, my post was merely an explanation to clarify things for BV.

Skater, I wasn't singling out your post, sorry if you thought I was!

Back on topic, we have an IP where the air-con is broken, and as we are now coming into summer, hubby and I have agreed to get it repaired to make it more attractive to new tenants. (lease is up in October) However the cost of repair is considerably less than actually installing a new one, so... I'm not sure whether it's worth installing an air-con when the tenants haven't asked for one.

Unless I'm mistaken, she originally included her surname in her username. Many people could be named "Kim", however there would only be a handful of those Kim's with the same surname, so anonymity is still preserved. You will also note that I did not call her Kim prior to BV asking why everyone was calling her this, my post was merely an explanation to clarify things for BV.

I think you're mistaken about the surname if I remember the previous name correctly

Back