interesting perspective of gen y vote

our 20 year old voted for the first time this election. we don't usually talk politics in our house so didn't know which way she was going to vote - but - when it was announced that labor had won she made the comment ...

"great because, even though labor run up the debt, they spend it on useful things. not like the liberal's who just waste money."

to which i replied that the liberal's had just spent 10 years getting our country out of the debt the previous labor governement had run up. she just shrugged and went back to her computer.

this really made me think. is this really the attitude of the gen y uni students? that it's okay to run up massive debt instead of balancing the books? and what exactly are "useful things" as the federal government have no say in schools, hospitals, most roads and general infastructure?

as a gen x my opinion is that there was such a massive swing because people were just bored with the last liberal government - there were no real issues, anger or dramas. but certainly not that massive social debt is a good thing ...

actually - a very pertinant point was that she didn't seem to realise that the debt comes from australia borrowing large sums of money from other countries, and having to repay with interest. does that come from the point that people now don't take on large debt (mortgages etc) until in their 30's (on average) nowadays? - whereas we used to take on such debt, and understand how it works, in our early 20's back in the mid 90's.

i also found the lethary in the younger generation about the importance of democracy mind boggling.

was i so naive when i first voted at 19? probably ...

as a gen x my opinion is that there was such a massive swing because people were just bored with the last liberal government - there were no real issues, anger or dramas. but certainly not that massive social debt is a good thing ...
Dear Lizzie,

1. I disagree that there are no real issues for this Federal Elections.

2. I am not sure whether Australia is going to be "fortunate" enough this time round and to be able to insulate itself effectively and be able to escape relatively unscathed, against the ill effects arising from the present unfolding of the various on-going external financial crises, slowing housing markets and slowing down of the real economies in the US, UK, Spain, New Zealand, Japan, ( and a over-heated China Economy) arising from the recent US Credit Crunch Crisis, its prolonged housing slump and fast weakening US$ Currency as well as the fast and sudden increase in oil prices which is flirting at its historically high oil prices levels, in the world's market today.

3. A recent change in the RBA chairmanship plus potential change in the economic management team for Australia after this Federal Election, midst the present highly volatile global financial markets, does not seem to be a healthy development for Australia, in the near term, as far as I can see.

4. Hopefully, we can re-visit this issue again to further review its real outcome for Australia before the next Federal Elections in 2011.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Lizzie,

My daughter has also voted labor.
Young kids I guess are influenced more by the media than we are
or they go for the looks :)

Cheers

Hi Lizzie,

My daughter has also voted labor.
Young kids I guess are influenced more by the media than we are
or they go for the looks :)

Cheers
Dear BV

If young Australians choose to vote on the basis on the good looks and popularity of its political leaders in this Federal Elections, instead of a competent and effective leadership team to successfully lead Australia into the 21st Century, I think they are going to learn soon, the real consequences of their present voting outcome and what real elections truly meant for them in future when Australia's present economic fortunes start to change in the near future.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Kenneth

At their age we also were not too concerned of how well the economy is managed.
Also, in Australia we have state run economies and often the mistakes or mismanagement of the Labor run state economies were often blamed on the federal government which until now was Liberal.

However, now that the Liberals lost the election we have the scary situation where we have ALL State labor Governments AND a labor federal government which was brought to power with the help of the unions and the Greens.

Who are they going to blame now?
Also, the unions and the Greens will now want their share of the cake :eek:

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm 23 and voted Liberal. I'm extremely dissapointed in the result - but did expect it. Most young people I know voted Labor. When I said I was voting Liberal they didn't believe me - they thought I was joking and simply would not believe me :rolleyes: I guess being in my own business and also interested in property investing I have slightly different priorities.

John Howard's speech was great. Ergh, I can't stand Kevin Rudd :mad:

hey there guys i am 22, and a v.strong liberal supporter.

i see the dilema we face as the younger generation are not aware of the past and are getting influenced by the media.

labor have had a strong plan to get voted in, and they have won. i guess we have to let the water find its own level as time will mould these younger voters.

i am very supprised on the outcome which is in front of us, aswell as very frightened. I guess we will see the rollout of this decision over the next few months/years.

all i can say is i hope we all are armed for the future as well as being open for the opportunites that are in front of us all.

"great because, even though labor run up the debt, they spend it on useful things. not like the liberal's who just waste money."
Now you can take that as meaning young people don't mind building up debt ... as you did. Or you could look from another angle ... that the Libs recently haven't cared much about what people thought when they made their decisions.

It sounds very sad here ... young people don't know what they've done. Libs are good, labour is bad.
C'mon guys grow up yourselves, if you can't yet see why Libs GAVE Labour this election, you never will.

no point getting upset, just deal with the cards dealt to you, for example:

- skill up, increasing unemployment will always see the cream of the crop in a job
- cancel speccy investments, remove risk from your portfolio
- consider relocating to more investment friendly environments if you have the passport to do so
- reposition your PI from high end to low end affordable type products
- purchase foreign assets e.g. reallocate super funds, to foreign markets to take advatage of the high dollar. as it weakens your returns will be amplified.
- sell up geared assets to remove interest rate exposure. fix rates where possible

Am sure there are many other ideas.

Kenneth

Also, in Australia we have state run economies and often the mistakes or mismanagement of the Labor run state economies were often blamed on the federal government which until now was Liberal.

However, now that the Liberals lost the election we have the scary situation where we have ALL State labor Governments AND a labor federal government which was brought to power with the help of the unions and the Greens.

Who are they going to blame now?

"External world conditions are beyond the Australian Govt control!"

In fact, I heard this has just been used by some of the pro-ALP supporters already, to explain off Kevin Rudd's apparent lack of experience and good economic management track record.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Thats ridiculous. Where is your crystal ball from? China?

After the lies and many humanitarian failures of the just defeated liberals, no one should have admitted they voted liberal. Thats where the election was lost imo. Taking us a bunch of fools once too often.

The economy would be booming right now regardless of which party had been in power. To believe anything else is just plain dumb... as dumb as believing all the false rhetoric and scaremongering of JH and his soon to be forgotten conservative cronies.

Again taking the Australian public as stupid once too often. The fact Howard will most likely be voted out of his own seat (the first time since 1929) is proof of that.

This labor government now have a mandate. Start now by getting those boys out of Iraq/Afghanistan. Sent there on the basis of lies.

Ha ha. Guess what?

In a few years time, no one will admit that they voted labor.

See ya's.

I'll say this again people just don't have good memories do they?
To say the economy would have boomed whatever goverment was in is probably true but I would like to think the howard goverment has given us the best opurtunities from australia's growth.

We will soon see the labour goverment screw things people that run there own business are going to start feeling it soon.

This labor government now have a mandate. Start now by getting those boys out of Iraq/Afghanistan. Sent there on the basis of lies.

Evand,

I have no doubt in my mind that if the Aust. Labor Party was in power at the time they would have done exactly the same thing.

If our government of the day told you that for reasons of Strategic importance which they cannot disclose we have to go to war would you have supported them? Obviously not.

btw the situation in Afghanistan wasn't a lie and even the WMD's that Iraq had wasn't a lie it's just happened that the Iraqis have moved them out or have them well hidden underground.

In regards to the ALP win I have to say that their campaign was very well organised and planned but other factors contributed greatly to their election.

The latest RBA decision in the middle of the election campaign was 1 of them (as if our economy would suffer if they had waited another few weeks)
and it is also very suspicious that even the killings of our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan started just before the elections.

Cheers

and what exactly are "useful things" as the federal government have no say in schools, hospitals, most roads and general infastructure? ...

Wrong.

there were no real issues, anger or dramas.

Wrong again.

Obviously the majority of Australians did think there were issues and dramas. Let's see... climate change, work no-choices, lack of funding for schools, uni's and TAFEs, homophobia, xenophobia, constant lies, underhanded sneaky tactics to try to remain in power, children overboard, blood for oil... the list goes on and on and on... just because they might not affect YOU dosn't mean they aren't issues.

I spoke to a mate last night that said he voted labor. I asked why and he said workchoices was hurting him. Excited to find someone that was personally suffering under workchoices I asked him to elaborate:

"well they are bringing all these chinese in to help with the workload, but when the work dries up they will drop our hourly rate to something like $10/hr and the chinese will take it"

"ok.. so if you are on an award of say $60/hr and the work dries up, will your employer keep you on?"

"err, well..."

my search continues.

My daughter voted for the first time yesterday too. We don't talk much politics, but she must have picked up something from us as she really didn't ask too many questions & neither of us told her which way to go. She followed us into the booth, took the brochure for Libs & none from any other party. I guess she voted Liberal.:D

Evand,

even the WMD's that Iraq had wasn't a lie it's just happened that the Iraqis have moved them out or have them well hidden underground.

Oh tell me you are not for real - so saddam hid them where no one else can find them - not even his Sunni mates now engaged in a civil war where weapons like these would tip the balance of power.

And you say Gen Y is taken in by the rhetoric

Back