Investing in newcastle???

I'm looking to purchase my first investment in newcastle nsw. I'm looking for capital growth and I'm able to throw in a little shortfall week to week. I understand that the NSW gov has spent a considerable amount of money on the foreshore area in recent years. Suburbs that were once dull are now trendy and I'd like to capitalise on this. My budget is between 350-400. I'd be happy with a townhouse or house, as long as both have 2 bathrooms. I'd be looking for a suburb that has not taken off as yet.

Alternatively, what other suburbs in newcastle would be smart areas to invest in?

Appreciate any feedback

Hi Nathan

Resident BA and REBAA colleague Alan Fox (posts as Propertunity) would be the best person to speak to here as this is his patch so hopefully he'll see this post and provide you with some idea. If not, then look him up here http://www.propertunity.com.au/ Good luck with your purchasing!

The last 6-12 months have seen a huge turnaround in newcastles property market. Where it used to be doldrums and doom and gloom its now busy with stock being sold at first open or earlier.

Much of your inner suburbs started their runs a few years ago, other suburbia is waking up and getting hot.

Waratah and Georgetown are worth a look as they are often overlooked and are close proximity to new lambton and Hamilton

Newcastle has been doing pretty feel but I wonder if the markets in outer areas like Singleton and Muswellbrook will have any negative impacts on Newcastle?

Newcastle has been doing pretty feel but I wonder if the markets in outer areas like Singleton and Muswellbrook will have any negative impacts on Newcastle?

Singleton and Muswellbrook are pip-squeaks compared to Newcastle - towns with just over 10k people each versus a regional centre with a few hundred thousand. If anything, and particularly with the Hunter Expressway recently completed, you'd expect it to be the other way around.

Singleton and Muswellbrook are pip-squeaks compared to Newcastle - towns with just over 10k people each versus a regional centre with a few hundred thousand. If anything, and particularly with the Hunter Expressway recently completed, you'd expect it to be the other way around.

Fair enough. Question to guys with IP's in Newy - how is the rental market after the influx of investors in the area of the past 12 months.

Have two in Newcastle. Spoke to my property manager recently and he said the rental market was a little slow and advised to keep the same rent as before.

Fair enough. Question to guys with IP's in Newy - how is the rental market after the influx of investors in the area of the past 12 months.

Our Mayfield property was recently vacant, we had to drop the rent by 15 to get a tenant, lots more rentals in the area on the market than 12 months ago.

I have had my student place more than ten years. This is the first time I haven't had it full before term started.

It is full now but was three weeks into term.

Historically Newcastle has always had under 1% vacancy and it is a nightmare as a tenant to find something.

Lot of new apartments going up in the city too. Being snapped up by investors off the plan from what I can see.

I can see Newcastle becoming a mini western sydney boomtown.

Low values, highish yield. Investors flock in hearing about the great yields, market flooded with new rentals which drives yields down as owners drop rents to get a tenant.

I saw something yesterday in western sydney that I never thought I would see... "ONE WEEKS RENT FREE" incentives on rental listings

I heard that Newcastle University is either building or recently built student accommodation (around 1000 rooms). Worth checking this especially if looking at the suburbs like Waratah

I heard that Newcastle University is either building or recently built student accommodation (around 1000 rooms). Worth checking this especially if looking at the suburbs like Waratah

True, they have a couple of buildings resembling apartment blocks nearing completion right on top of the ring road in the uni.

Looks like plenty of rooms will be available to students in the near very future.

True, they have a couple of buildings resembling apartment blocks nearing completion right on top of the ring road in the uni.

Looks like plenty of rooms will be available to students in the near very future.

That might be why I've noticed a few student accomodation houses up for sale recently in the area.

That might be why I've noticed a few student accomodation houses up for sale recently in the area.

Yeah, I noticed that too & wondered why. A couple were pretty crappy & looked like room sharing was their means of achieving the stated yield, no prizes for guessing they inured that were figuring they would have to spend money to compete. The couple I saw were seriously over priced if you didn't consider the student yield

This will have such a positive effect on Newcastle.
Couldn't find any suitable rental accomodation when I was looking earlier in the year. Need some cheaper reno-lover stock on the market.
But still over-priced?

I live in Newcastle, and have IPs in Newcastle city, suburbs, Lake Macquarie, Nelson Bay & Central Coast. Each coastal region has different market attributes; it?s necessary to manage them independently.

Newie & the Hunter regions have been following Sydney, from a lower price base, but similar confidence in selling prices, & not coming off the boil just yet. We have been investing in IPs for 20 yrs now, with total confidence in these regions. Although slower CG compared to the capitals, the lower price point makes it easy to continue acquiring properties.

Newcastle & suburbs has solid employment & infrastructure, & has been waiting for the imminent injection of Govt funds to revitalise the city, which after many yrs has now commenced & expected to continue for the next 10 yrs. The region will continue to be buffeted by economic issues, affecting rents & vacancies, but there are strong long term trends that can be relied on.

Vacancies have increased from below 2% up to 3% in the last 12 months. I expect the situation to improve as city renewal projects get underway. Quality properties in inner city suburbs will fair best.

Upper Hunter cities of Singleton & Muswellbrook are very different markets, strongly aligned to the open cut coal mining fluctuations. The peaks & troughs are more frequent.

A fair amount of Student accom for sale, asking a premium due to high yield, but I?ve struggled to locate quality properties to consider buying. Student rental rates appear to have reduced in 2014 from averaging $160 down to approx. $140. Trouble is that most tend to be fully inclusive (furniture & utilities), & the lower rent eats into profitability. Definitely riskier than non-student rentals at this time.

I hope this helps.
Retiree

Back