Ipswich

Dear guys,

Here are three of the most important graphics from the SEQ regional plan.

It shows: 1) planned population growth 2) designated major activity centres and 3) Transit Oriented Developments (TODs). This will have a positive growth impact on suburbs designated as a "major activity centre" or "transit oriented development".

Table 3 -New dwelling targets for major urban local governments (2004 to 2026)
Map 8 - Urban form -Greater Brisbane and the Western Corridor
Map 9 - Potential Transit Orientated Developments

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Attachments

• Table 3 -New dwelling targets for major urban local governments (2004 to 2026).jpg
    Table 3 -New dwelling targets for major urban local governments (2004 to 2026).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Map 8 - Urban form -Greater Brisbane and the Western Corridor.jpg
    Map 8 - Urban form -Greater Brisbane and the Western Corridor.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 230
  • Map 9 - Potential Transit Orientated Developments.jpg
    Map 9 - Potential Transit Orientated Developments.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 181
Dear guys,

Some more info in today's QLD Times.:

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Ipswich told to double its homes

By TONY MOORE
IPSWICH will need to double its existing number of homes and units in order to cope with population growth to be directed westward.

Goodna and Redbank, with their access to mixed-use residential and commercial areas close to railway stations, are likely to feature high-density living.

The state government's draft South East Queensland Regional Plan says an estimated 550,000 new dwellings are needed to cope with population growth in the overall area.

It estimates an additional one million people will be living in the area between the Gold Coast and Noosa and west to Toowoomba by 2026.

Traditionally the fastest growing areas have been the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Maroochy Shire.

The draft regional plan involves encouraging development westward towards Ipswich, Springfield and the Ripley Valley. Local councils have been given "dwelling targets" to provide additional housing. Ipswich in 2001 had 45,600 dwellings.

The new dwelling targets ask Ipswich City Council to plan for an extra 41,000 dwellings by 2016, including 6000 coming from "infill" development. Infill development is new residential development in old urban areas.

Between 2016 and 2026 a further 34,000 dwellings will be required, of which 7500 will be "infill" properties.

Only the Gold Coast is expected to provide more housing. In Ipswich there is expected to be an increase in higher density living around residential and mixed use commercial areas close to rail lines.

These areas are classed as Transit Orientated Developments. Goodna, Redbank, Springfield and Ipswich central are the region’s Transit Orientated Developments.

http://www.qt.com.au/storydisplay.c...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Newsflash

Straight from the horses mouth, a prominent local developer I had dinner with on Friday night(yes I have just come back to Coffs), up there, told me he had breakfast with the developer of the 13 storey unit complex with shops below complex they are breaking ground on in Ippy.

Darcy road guys, go look it up. There is also a 5 star hotel being built not to far from Ippy ground central as well. He hinted that he could help me with a zoning problem I was having too. Not too bad for nice steak dinner to keep up with the local goss.

Goto Darcy's Restaurant for the best prime rib steak I have ever had. I mean it, the steak was to die for. Great place for a coffee too. There was a big screen playing Harry concert as background music too so all nicely decked out. Big things going to happen in the city of Ipswich, big things.

Thanks for letting me waffle. Just got home and had to get online. Yes I know Im sad, worst thing is its now 3.50 am. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ time for me.

DD1

As a Sydneysider, Goodna sounds like a future Chatswood/Strathfield with high density living and commerical operations set around the transport interchanges.

Ipswitch sounds like Parramatta - the city to the west of Sydney and destined to grow and grow.

This Ripley area though - I don't know. Seems a dark horse. Too far away from the action?

Glebe said:
As a Sydneysider, Goodna sounds like a future Chatswood/Strathfield with high density living and commerical operations set around the transport interchanges.

Ipswitch sounds like Parramatta - the city to the west of Sydney and destined to grow and grow.

This Ripley area though - I don't know. Seems a dark horse. Too far away from the action?

Strathfield / Chatswood were both middle / Upper middle class areas of long standing in Sydney ( at the turn of the last century , strathfield , not the eastern suburbs were the place to be ) . My feeling is if you want sydney comparison for Goodna , think Fairfield or maybe Bankstown. I know people who where happy to buy in Logan , but wouldn't touch Goodna. ( not saying that's justified :) )

Ipswich , think Penrith , Not parramatta . Lots of vacant space around for the suburbs to spread and spread . Parramatta is the second oldest settlement in Sydney and doesn't have much place to expand to except up .

See Change

From the Ipswich City Council web site with reference to Ripley

" Ipswich Gold Coast Water Pipeline - this regional water supply is a visionary investment in the future of South East Queensland - it is planned to secure the future sustainable development scenario for Ipswich and SEQ - it will secure the development of Ripley Valley (110,000 population), Swanbank Enterprise Park (14,000 job carrying capacity) and Ebenezer Industrial Park (94,000 job carrying capacity) - it will have long term future capacity to carry desalinated water back into this region from the coast."

So it looks to me IMHO, that Ripley may well be an interesting place to keep an eye on. Well that's my two bobs worth.

Glebe said:
As a Sydneysider, Goodna sounds like a future Chatswood/Strathfield with high density living and commercial operations set around the transport interchanges.

Dear Glebe,

You have made some sound and logical comparisons.

-Ipswich can be compared to Parramatta.
-Goodna can be likened to a mini-Chatswood which in time will become larger and larger. :)
(Currently Indooroopilly is a Chatswood.)

High density living and commercial operations set around the transport interchanges

Yes. Sometimes simple logic can be overlooked and others benefit through this common sense. ;)
I have certainly benefited from this.

-Ripley is further out. One of my relatives lives there and whilst a nice area does not have the train. The designated centre will be good for the area but at 35km from Brisbane it is significantly further out than Goodna at 20km.

Ipswich , think Penrith , Not parramatta .

Dear See Change,

I disagree with you in saying Ipswich = Penrith. Penrith does not even have a local telephone number. Even the respected forecaster Michael Matusik says Ipswich = Parramatta.

What do I know about Sydney? I lived there for 9 years.

Goodna is clearly the suburb which has benefited the most out of this plan. I know of a good number of forum members who already have invested in Goodna and are receiving the ongoing benefits from doing so.

I know people who where happy to buy in Logan , but wouldn't touch Goodna. ( not saying that's justified )

We all have vested interests where we invest. Same as you have a vested interest in Logan. ;) Interesting to see that in the next 22 years there will be 88,500 new houses in the ICC area whilst Logan City Council will have 19,000.

This huge amount of new houses and new people in the area will have massive flow on effects:
-Creation of more jobs.
-Create a need for more services in the area.
-Create a need for more businesses here.
-More development creates more $$$ contributions to council that can be reinvested into local infrastructure.
-Higher profile for the area.

Even today I had a respected newspaper telephone myself for my comments on how the SEQ plan will impact Goodna and the ICC area. Like DD1 says big things are happening in the ICC area. :)

Not everyone will benefit from the SEQ plan in the same way. As professional investors we need to recognise this and be receptive to opportunities when they present themselves.

Not much water in Ipswich!!!

Dear JPM,

Yes. But we do have the Brisbane river. ;) Goodna is one of only seven suburbs south of Brisbane with a Boat Ramp. (Indooroopilly, Fig Tree Pocket, Jindalee, Goodna, Karalee, Karana Downs and Colleges Crossing.)

13 storey unit complex with shops below complex

Dear DD1,

Yes agree that this will be the most significant unit development in Ipswich. Will be interesting to see as it develops. ;) Exciting times I agree for the ICC area.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone,

If I were to look for a house in Goodna with a view to subdividing in 10 years time, any opinion on minimum land size I should look for? Do we know ICC's opinion on the matter?

Glebe said:
Sunstone,

If I were to look for a house in Goodna with a view to subdividing in 10 years time, any opinion on minimum land size I should look for? Do we know ICC's opinion on the matter?

Dear Glebe,

Subdivisions today:

For a subdivision normal minimum block sizes are 400m2 with battleaxes being 600m2. Therefore if you are looking for a “splitter” or a “slider” you want one with a minimum size of 1,000m2. Remember the shape of the block can also be important if it’s an unusual shape, minimum setbacks are 6m from the road with possible relaxations to 4m. 1.5m side boundaries for single level dwellings with 2m for two story dwellings. A block with a wider road frontage can give you greater flexibility with regards to some things.

Are there other ways of “subdividing” using a higher density? Yes. You use a community title.

Some other considerations:

-Council is more flexible with regards to land that is less than 500m to the train station or shopping centre.
-Zoning is important as it can impact on current and future density levels.
-Also doublecheck if it is Character housing. If you subdivide a character housing block you may find that the house that has to be built on the block has to be a “character” house. Limiting the potential value and flexibility of the block.
-Look out for flood affected land. This land cannot be easily subdivided.

Ten years time.

Crystal ball…………

In some newer subdivisions they are currently approving land at 300m2+ or in rare cases 275m2+.

For myself it is easy. Look for one that is close to the train and shopping centre. As the population grows, higher density land will become more and more valuable and is the first to be rezoned at an even higher density.

Not sure if this has been posted before or not: http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/ipswi.../future_map.pdf

Good work on putting this one up for the forum. One I had overlooked putting up. :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone

I have no doubt that Goodna and Ispwich are areas that are well worthy of investing in and I'm not disputing that in this post. I have no particular barrow to push with logan , I've made my money and am happy to receive ongoing cash flow. In reality I shouldn't have mentioned it as it was an opbvious distraction to my main point .

I will continue ( not that it really matter :) ) to hold my belief that with great respect to Michael Matesuk , that he doesn't ( with regards to comparing parramatta to ipswich ) know what he's talking about. Outside that I think he's one of the more informed people in the realestate industry and his reports a few years ago comparing cycles in sydney and Brisbane were spot on :).....

One only has to glance at the map on the link provided by Glebe to see why.

Ipswich , is a suburb on the edge of Brisbane which is surrounded by large tract of rural land. This means as long as there is spare land around, this will , to a certain extent , limit the upwards pressure on the land value.

While there may well be some high rise development near the centre of the town , near the main transport links , it is unlikely to have the pressure for the widespread unit development that has gone on in the several suburbs that surround Parramatta.

Parramatta on the other hand , is in the middle of sydneys suburbia. There was a sign point to the population centre of Sydney just to the south and west of the centre of Parramatta a few years ago , and I now understand that it has moved further west.

There isn't any rural land within cooee of parramatta , unless you include parramatta park.

Parramatta is already a major suburban shopping centre and has been for considerably longer than you or I have been on this planet.

Any redevelopment there can only occure on existing land as there is no undeveloped land ( of any significance that I'm aware ) in Parramatta. This puts more pressure on the existing land for redevelopment.

See Change

Happy birthday from me too.

I don't know why they say "Many Happy Returns" though. We haven't done our returns for this year yet, because it's always such a horrible experience.

Dear Glebe, Dos, Geoff and Agent86,

Thanks for the kind birthday wishes. :)

Dear See_Change,

With birthday's and preparations for BIG activities time to give an indepth reply which we would both mutually respect is limited (give myself a couple of days. ;) ).

Debate is always healthy. :) If everyone thought and acted in exactly the same way would you and I have benefited from the opportunities afforded to us?

However a couple of initial comments:

It is important to analyse the individual reasons why Matusik has compared Ipswich to Parramatta. Matusik also stated "We believe that Ipswich has the capacity to be the Parramatta of SEQld".

Does Brisbane currently have the same population as Sydney? You and I both know that it does not at this point in time. What we are looking at is how an area is developing and the benefits gained through taking action based on reasonable assumptions.

There isn't any rural land within cooee of parramatta , unless you include parramatta park.

Again it is relative. Eastern Creek, Horsley Park and Prospect in Sydney some would consider are not that far away from Parramatta.

What is important to look at is what was Parramatta like when Brisbane’s current population equalled Sydney’s. (20-30 years ago? Now with Brisbane's massive population growth rate?) Whilst I have not yet been able to look in detail at this I believe the situation that we may find is that it was very similar to the situation of today.

Or should one be looking at the Major activity centre and transport node which is the closest to Brisbane in the ICC area? At only 20km to Brisbane (Ipswich 31km) this place is Goodna.

Enjoy the journey. :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
Sunstone said:
"We believe that Ipswich has the capacity to be the Parramatta of SEQld".

Congrats on your birthday Sunstone. Maybe we 're arguing over semantics.

I wouldn't argue with the above statement that Ipswich has the capacity to be the Parramatta of SE Qland .

I would however disagree with your previous statement

Sunstone said:
Ipswich can be compared to Parramatta.

To say that some Ispwich may develop into a parramatta , is different to saying it can be compared with Parramatta.

It may well develop in to a parramatta , however considering that parramatta took some 200 years to develop into what it is now , and as I'm always looking for something that's going to give me good returns in the short to medium ( as well as long term ) I wouldn't be basing my personal investments on the possibility that Ispwich may develop into a parramatta at some stage in the future .

See Change

Last edited:
Which suburb Raceview/Brassal is better in Ipswich

Hi All

I have been offered house/land package in both these suburbs (Raceview and Brassal) for around 280/290K (4BR, DLG, etc) for a rent of round $260/$280.

I have been to Raceview last fortnight but didnt got a chance to look at Brassal, I was wondering if anyone has got any details, couldnt find much details on these suburbs in the forum.

Please advice
thanks
rahul

Hi Glebe

The land size they are advertising is around 600m2 and the estate is around 5/6min drive from Ipswich CBD,

address for RACEVIEW estate - Thornton st
address for BRASSALL estate - Holt st

Any details you can provide me will help to decide which suburb should I go with.

Thanks a lot for your help

Back