Is bifocal common for 8 yo?

Why did the optometrist choose bifocals?

Bifocals would be fairly common for anyone (child or not) who is long sighted - so that they can read in comfort and view things far away too.

Single vision lenses are more commonly prescribed and people just choose to take them off when doing other tasks rather than wearing them full time.

I have 2 kids with glasses but they don't need bifocals as their issue is convergence/refocussing not long or short sighted.

I haven't heard of bifocals being prescribed for kids either - ours just have reading/computer glasses for close up work.

Have a chat with the optometrist to find out why the kid needs bf.

I would think it would be easier in the classroom, for example when looking at both board and book and then board again repeatedly.

Switching between the 2 all the time is a pain (I'm thinking of getting bifocals next time). You're more likely to lose a set this way too.

Perhaps the thinking of prescribing them is that the child wouldn't be in a position of being tempted to not bother switching switch glasses in class which would result in missing some of the work that's being taught.

I've been told bifocals take some getting used to, but people seem to swear by them once they've adjusted to them.

Junior is only in yr3, so he doesn't need to check the board often in the class. His eyes are fine, only a small (0.05) long sighted, which apparently will correct itself when he's 10.
But it cost us almost $300 (after rebate).
The glasses are useless as he could not see a thing. He did a test with them, got all questions wrong, then he took them off and did the rest of the test with perfect score.
Do optometrists always subscribe glasses to everyone, even if the problem is minor?
What upset me was that his eyes/behaviour could get worst by wearing the glasses.
The bifocal glasses could add another stress for everyone.
I think it's about time they take a look at the whole glasses industry.
A friend of a friend who had an optometry business/shop in Malaysia told me that it cost them only $10 malaysian ringgit, to get the glasses from Italy and other places. That was 20 years ago.

I wouldn't have done bifocals then.
With only a slight score like that they had a choice to do nothing - especially if it wasn't impacting on his school work - or single vision for close up work only.
Personally I'd take them back if he can't see with them.

Glasses are very expensive here. I get mine from USA and even though I can't claim them on health insurance I can get 3 pairs for about $150 including international courier so who cares? I use Glasses USA

I have plenty of friends who get their's in Asia when they are travelling too.

I have heard children are becoming more and more short sighted through sitting too close to the tv and their long sight isnt getting a chance to develop

Back