Is it valid that I have to pay $100 to get someone use a plunger?

Hi fellow IP owners

I was contacted by the agent of my ip in Sydney (I live in Melbourne) that the toilet doesn't flush well,the waste was rising when they flush the toilet and then slowly draining away which could indicate a pipe blockage so suggested to get a plumber to determine the cause of it.

Then the agent got back to me after two emails and told me the the plumbers was able to clear the blockage by using a plunger which unfortunately doesn't allow him to determine the cause of the blockage.

Anyone had similar experience? Am I in a solid ground to request the tenant pays them instead?
I feel weird that I have to pay 100 dollars to get a plumber in just to use a bloody plunger n could nt tell me the cause.

Or should I just accept it?

Without evidence of it being something the tenant flushed, you will likely have to pay.

If it continues, get a camera inspection of the sewer and see whats blocking.

If it can be cleared away with a plunger...a tenant would be liable IMO.
If they needed to use a toilet snake, that may be different.

Let the tenant declare otherwise, and take you to tribunal.They won't.

imo a plunger means it's just a blockage of the stuff you put into the toilet bowl.

If it was something worse (eg tree roots), you'd need the drains to be routed out, not a plunger.

That said I have no idea what is required legally.

If it can be cleared away with a plunger...a tenant would be liable IMO.
If they needed to use a toilet snake, that may be different.

Let the tenant declare otherwise, and take you to tribunal.They won't.

In the past I have been a big softy, but now I take the above style approach. Having a great PM really helps too. A poor/shy PM will want to do what is easy for them which is make the LL pay.

When I get a maintenance request I tell the tenant if the trades person believes it was caused by them or it's an issue that is easy to rectify they will invoice the tenant directly. You should see how many toilets magically get unblocked then.

If it is my fault or responsibility, I will rectify and pay promptly with no questions asked.

Thx for the replies
Personally jam inclined to ask the tenants for reimbursement but then I am not local to the property n this pm seems to be the one who takes the path of least resistance.

What can i do In case the tenants just refuse to pay the plumber charge but continue to pay the rent?

Thx for the replies
Personally jam inclined to ask the tenants for reimbursement but then I am not local to the property n this pm seems to be the one who takes the path of least resistance.

What can i do In case the tenants just refuse to pay the plumber charge but continue to pay the rent?

You deduct it from her bond, when they vacate.
That's what we do.

Thx for the replies

Has your PM actually agreed to bill the tenant yet ?

This where the landlord instructs the PM to bill the tenant.
Don't forget who is the owner here.

Yes kathryn, I know who the owner is here.

I was just suggesting to Yvonne, if she hasn't actually told the PM, expect the PM to pay the bill and suggest Yvonne does not worry about it.

I did not say it was right.
I am saying what I would expect to happen, especially as Yvonne suggested that's what the PM siad they would do. I think David Mac's suggestion is a good way to handle these requests/issues as they arise from the outset....

I'm usually butting heads on these subjects, but if it is fixed with a plunger then it is not a fault with the property. It is a fault with the tenants usage.

The last two properties I have rented have had issues. Both times I have used the plunger to try and fix it, then drain cleaner, then finally calling the plumber. Both times it has been issues with tree roots.

If it is as a result of the actions of the tenant they should pay.

There are a number of problems that could occur in a drain servicing a toilet that would have nothing to do with the tenants actions.

The plumber, PM, owner nor anyone replying to this thread would not know the cause of the blockage.

Hi fellow IP owners

I was contacted by the agent of my ip in Sydney (I live in Melbourne) that the toilet doesn't flush well,the waste was rising when they flush the toilet and then slowly draining away which could indicate a pipe blockage so suggested to get a plumber to determine the cause of it.

Then the agent got back to me after two emails and told me the the plumbers was able to clear the blockage by using a plunger which unfortunately doesn't allow him to determine the cause of the blockage.

Anyone had similar experience? Am I in a solid ground to request the tenant pays them instead?
I feel weird that I have to pay 100 dollars to get a plumber in just to use a bloody plunger n could nt tell me the cause.

Or should I just accept it?
Sounds like you were lucky,$60-80 call out fee,15 minutes to fix,or next time ask the Plumber to run the ell down the system,because this problem will come back;just a matter of time,good luck..

There are a number of problems that could occur in a drain servicing a toilet that would have nothing to do with the tenants actions.

The plumber, PM, owner nor anyone replying to this thread would not know the cause of the blockage.

Yes - but the point is - try the $2 / 30 second fix FIRST, then the $120 / plumber fix SECOND.

It's all too easy for the tenant just to opt for the second fix because they aren't paying.

Yes - but the point is - try the $2 / 30 second fix FIRST, then the $120 / plumber fix SECOND.

It's all too easy for the tenant just to opt for the second fix because they aren't paying.

Hi Dave

What is the $2/30 second fix?

The tenant plunge with a mop?

We've had this blocked loo situation in our main bathroom twice. Our plumber suggested before he comes out that we get the largest bucket we can find, fill it up and holding it up as high as our arms can reach, tip it directly into the loo as quickly as we can. Often that is enough water force to blast through whatever is blocking the pipes.

It does work and could save a call out fee.

Back