ITunes

Very melodramatic. I think you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. :rolleyes:

Tell me you're not serious?
If you can find one example of this happening i'll give your post some credibility.

edit: I just remembered this court case where the ISP (Iinet) won the case where it didnt have to hand over details of users ISP's. So it's an example of the opposite.

Federal Court Judgment – Roadshow Films Pty Ltd & Ors v iiNet Ltd

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/02/isps-not-responsible-for-bittorrent-piracy-iinet-wins-court-case/

I think there is a lot of uninformed comment/scare tactics on this thread.

They don't have to.
They'll carefully pick the ones worth chasing up.
Perhaps you would be next?
Your ISP will give you up any day if they are to avoid legal action

Last edited:
Very melodramatic. I think you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. :rolleyes:

ok whatever you say.
The case with iinet was lost because they were trying to make the ISP responsible for the downloads which was a stupid claim.

This is not the same as a court action to provide personal details of people downloading or distributing music.

You can consider my posts scare tactics if you like but the fact is that what you're suggesting for Skater to do it is an illegal activity and I'm surprised that the moderators haven't picked up on this already.

Mate, burning a CD is an illegal activity. Why don't you just pm the mods and get the thread pulled. sheeesh.. maybe you need to get out a bit more. :rolleyes:

The court case shows that the music/movie industry cannot force ISPs to crack down on individual users.

And the industry cant pursue the down loaders individually as you were suggesting earlier. Its a case of a massive arrogant, overcharging industry not keeping up with technology. this industry itself rips off most of the artists it represents and is pretty much despised by them.

What you call a 'stupid claim' was brought to the court by a QC (no less) representing the movie industry because they had nothing else. Nada.

Can you show me one example where an ISP has been forced to supply details of its users. No.

The reason there are none is that they are prohibited under the privacy provisions in the Telecommunications Act from providing customers' personal details to a third party. Particularly another private company.

Read the comments at the bottom of this article for some insight.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...od-in-landmark-piracy-case-20100204-ndwr.html

ok whatever you say.
The case with iinet was lost because they were trying to make the ISP responsible for the downloads which was a stupid claim.

This is not the same as a court action to provide personal details of people downloading or distributing music.

You can consider my posts scare tactics if you like but the fact is that what you're suggesting for Skater to do it is an illegal activity and I'm surprised that the moderators haven't picked up on this already.

Hi Skater, a business can't play music without a license to do so. Skating rinks are included. I'd forget the music idea all together, exposing yourself and the business to a lawsuit or at least compensation.

BTW I'm not sure music piracy is best discussed here, since we are all honest, money making capitalist landlords ;)

cheers
pulse

Hey skater, I thought I might point out something just in case.

You downloaded the .torrent file, which is basically just a very small download information file - the data in the .torrent file tells the download manager what to search for and download.

You then opened the .torrent file with vuze - vuze would then download the mp3 files as described in the .torrent file, and save the mp3 in the designated download directory.

If you haven't been arrested at this point, you can then play the mp3s on your laptop - you don't have to use itunes btw, there are heaps of audio players out there, and the standard windows or apple media players are fine.

As it's been said however, it would be illegal to play pirated music, either at home or a business, just the fines are greater when a business does this, due to comm > resi.

Purchasing them from the itunes site might be an easy option afterall.

Almost every shop i go into in my shopping strip is playing music. The greek deli owner plays it and sings along loudly to his customers. :) What are people scared of exactly?

BTW I'm not sure music piracy is best discussed here, since we are all honest, money making capitalist landlords ;)

cheers
pulse

Music piracy is best not discussed here as the readers of this forum are too busy at home burning CDs, DVDs, downloading music, movies etc or their kids are. :D

Hi Skater, a business can't play music without a license to do so. Skating rinks are included. I'd forget the music idea all together, exposing yourself and the business to a lawsuit or at least compensation.

cheers
pulse

Yes, Pulse, I'm aware of that. We used to own and run our own rink a long time ago and had all the licenses in place. We used to spend a lot of money on the music too.

Like I said before, I'm just an employee. I presume they have the licenses, but don't know 100%. My directions are that the the procuring of the music is up to me. :(

Surely the itunes site is not the only legal place to purchase music from. Isn't there anything where you can pay a subscription and download stuff from?

There are some popular subscription based services (Zune is one) but they typically allow you to stream music throughout the duration of your subscription as opposed to downloading it. i.e.: You would need an internet connection at your place of work.

i once emailed songs from my friends computer to my home computer and saved them in itunes at home. I remember it was a bit tricky but i did it... i am happy to email you some songs... if it is legal to share them like that??? i dont have heaps, but have some current pop stuff.

Otherwise you could try going to cash converters, or even on ebay and buying a bulk lot of used cd's fairly reasonably... something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Huge-CD-coll...t=AU_Wholesale_Lots_Music&hash=item41559377ec

then spend some time loading them all into your itunes.

There are some popular subscription based services (Zune is one) but they typically allow you to stream music throughout the duration of your subscription as opposed to downloading it. i.e.: You would need an internet connection at your place of work.

Hmm.....that won't do. I need to be able to work out a playlist prior to playing, so that I can play them seemlessly without having to sit there and find each song.

i once emailed songs from my friends computer to my home computer and saved them in itunes at home. I remember it was a bit tricky but i did it... i am happy to email you some songs... if it is legal to share them like that??? i dont have heaps, but have some current pop stuff.

Thankyou, that would be a nice start.

Skater I don't know about copyright fees for playing music as part of a business, but it is something I'd be careful about if you don't have the originals, because 'one thing leads to another'.

However here's some further tips.

Vuzes standard download directory is: My Documents\Azureus Downloads

Some of the files get downloaded into folders inside that, some are loose. Wait until the file has fully downloaded in Vuze and moved from the Downloading list to Unwatched. Then at some point right click it in unwatched, click delete and 'remove from library' which stops it uploading to other people and using your bandwidth.

Then move the files/folders out of My Documents\Azureus Downloads and into My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music (easiest this way). Then goto iTunes main dropdown menu, File\Add Folder To Library and choose My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music . Then everything in it will be added to iTunes Library.

Also Google PeerBlock and run it whenever you have Vuze open (free). Set it for the P2P list and it will block most companies that keep a track of what you are downloading with Vuze, also tells you live which websites are trying to access your download info, seems to be quite a lot. Don't run it while you are browsing, it will block some websites.

Do you know why 99% of the population is broke and/or living week to week. IIts because they are scared of large corporations/government, letters from lawyers/big business.

Most people receive an important looking letter from a large corporation or govt dept or a solicitor and start shaking in their boots.

It's a load of baloney and its designed to keep everyone in their place (well, the small thinking, unwashed masses anyway) and it works a treat.

Even job interviews are designed to look like you go begging to companies so you might be just lucky enough for them to employ you. What a joke. They should be lucky enough to use your skills to grow their company and pay you a pittance. The sooner people lose this mindset (and its not easy) the sooner success will come.

I have seen many examples of it in this thread. This fear and melodrama that we will all get a knock on the door at 3am and guys in black coats will be there to 'have a chat' for downloading a song or playing a song in a roller skating rink. What are they going to do? Seriously? Take you to the federal court? Send the guys in black coats around? Ring the police? What a joke. The chances of this (anything) happening would less than getting squashed by a bus crossing the road. Its the fear i'm talking about.

This is a difficult concept for many to grasp as the societal conditioning is massive. But when you get it, the world is your oyster.

Maybe only 2 or 3 posters on this forum understand what i'm talking about and they are quite/very successful in comparison to the genral unwashed masses (the penguins) ;)

I agree with Biggles. Happy to be a penguin if I can sleep at night and if paying for my music makes me a penguin, happy days!!

Maybe the 35,000 people who have been issued with a lawsuit wish they had been more penguin-like and paid their 99cents for a tune.

Reactions: BV
if paying for my music makes me a penguin, happy days!.

Wylie

You are not a penguin.
There is a group of people who think that because music or movies of software are available online they are theirs to take.

We all know that this is not the right thing to do.
Punishment might never come but just because some people do it doesn't make it right.

cheers

in an open market everything is worth what people are willing to pay for it.
so if people aren't willing to pay for it at all, it means that it's not worth what music/video companies are asking for it.

so if people aren't willing to pay for it at all, it means that it's not worth what music/video companies are asking for it.

I deleted my previous post that Wylie refers to as I didn't want to hijack Skater's thread with my ethical position, however is this post for real? If that's how you justify it so you can sleep at night, then that's your choice.

I personally don't see it as any less of theft as if I was to steal some cosmetics, a dress, a chocolate bar, or squat in your house because I thought you were a rich landlord who charges too much. I'm not saying I've never downloaded music (although has been a very long time), but I have certainly never justified it to myself that it's ok. If you believe record companies charge too much and are rip offs then fine, but I don't see how you think you have an entitlement to artists work for nothing. Besides, in the legal "open market", people do pay for it, and that's what it's worth.

I too am happy to be a successful 'penguin' who can sleep at night.

There are plenty of people still purchasing music legally. Most retail shops suffer some loss to theft - that doesn't mean that the product isn't worth their asking price.

It's easier to justify downloading music illegally because the risk of getting caught is minuscule. While most of us have probably done it at some point, I'd personally draw the line at downloading it for commercial purposes.

Reactions: BV
Back