jarrah floorboards

hi there,

I have jarrah floorboards in my IP. Naturally they are quite dark, which is not totally to my liking so I would like to lighten them up. Is there are product which will help me do this (Eg: a pigment remover or something like that)?

Hi CB,

about the only thing that I know of is a lime wash.

one company that makes this is porters in syd Ph 9698 5322

rossv

Hi,

should have added there are commercial wood bleaches available, usually used for furniture.
they are pretty potent and i don't think they would be applicable to a floor......perhaps ask porters.

rossv

I Recently sanded Jarrah laid in 1956 - Why would you want to bleach them! Old Jarrah is superb - if you use a gloss finish on them you will be amazed at how much lighter they seem and how much lighter the room seems.

Bully

Nothwithstanding the other suggestions, a lateral thought might be to consider what other facets of the room you *can* lighten up (eg. paint) to lessen the impact and/or balance out the jarrah.

Personally I think trying to lime-wash Jarrah is the cosmetic equivalent of sticking fake brick cladding onto a weatherboard house.

Hi cool bananas

Another suggestion might be to give some thought to installing some skylights in to provide more light?

Cool Bananas

I have seen many examples of bleached jarrah floorboards that look fantastic (when done professionally) and give the house a great lift.

Check them out yourself and don’t be put off by the purists.

Joe D

Hi, Cool Bananas

The next door neighbour at my daughter's unit showed me what they have done in their unit.

Wow!

A real warehouse look has been achieved

* Really dark, aged parquetry flooring throughout (all units have this)

* painted the walls strong ink blue

*highlighted with terracotta and / or buttermilk yellow

* accentuated the architectural form by introducing a fake fireplace surround which 'steps' up the wall

* removed all loose fabric and replaced with dark timber venetians

* really groovy 'spacetrek' type of light fittings

* spiky plants in bold pots in corners

* stripped back stairs to expose raw concrete.

We are so inspired we will throw the sculpted nylon carpet with the red cordial stains out, and expose the parquetry!

Viva la inspiration!

The strong wall colours just look fantastic with the timber!!

Happy painting

Kristine

Cool Bananas,

If it is an IP and you are not keen on the floorboards, don't worry about it. You aren't living there, the tennants are. Why waste your money???

As long as they look good to rent out, rent it out!!!!

BUNDY

Back