Karratha WA

Well, apparently these properties were under contract as soon as they were offered. A work mate tried to call and register interest, but alas, all were snapped up.

Phil :)

Doing the research that I have Karratha is one of the top +ve geared places in WA.

But I am always hesistant to buy there at the moment due to the fact its almost solely dependant upon the mines.

AdamP
I would also be concerned and would not purchasing today, I think the market has peaked, regardless of returns.

Those lucky b....ards who purchased 3 years ago are sitting on some great returns and have achieved great CG, wish I had the courage at the time.... oh well lesson learnt.

I was upthat way the other week, anyone have any idea why some buildings are on hold?

Talking to one of the taxi drivers

Nothing has happened to the new police station since before XMAS, machinery and building supplies laying around; same story for a couple of other buildings

Doing the research that I have Karratha is one of the top +ve geared places in WA.

But I am always hesistant to buy there at the moment due to the fact its almost solely dependant upon the mines.

well mines... and burrup fertiliser and the massive LNG fields and dampier salt etc. Houses here are selling at or below replacement. The DHA ones were a rip so not sure why they sold so fast - plenty of stock on the open market to choose from

G'day Petal & All,

Probably a bit too soon to gauge any major impact from loss of jobs here presently as most companies are holding their ground. I don't know if too many local Rio staff will be impacted just yet. There doesn't seem to be too much rumbling from other companies....yet!!

I was just talking with a local tradesman this morning and he has a mate (local RE agent) who knows investors based in Perth, but working in mines, who bought here over the last three years and have now been retrenched, so he is actively sounding them out and making very low 'rude' offers to 'ease' them of their financial burden. Morally I would disagree with this......if I had morals.

My clear impression is there are $hitloads of properties up for sale in Karratha presently. We are back up to six pages of newspaper listings, when only early last year an agent would be lucky to have 10 listings. Prices are coming down slowly, some of the better presented properties are selling shortly after listing, whilst others are floundering.....but most seem to sell and from what I hear, without too much discount taking place.

Rents are still exceptional and supply of housing is not yet outstripping demand. With newer residential construction underway (but most of it committed to Woodside, Rio, Indigenous groups, State Housing) I don't believe we will see an over supply as such. Another land release at Baynton West is about to take place, but I believe it won't cause too many issues as out of town investors will either be scared off Karratha, or are afraid of losing their own jobs so will hold tight without further acquisition. To that end by time the ballot takes place, I would not be at all surprised if it fails to be fully subscribed and may well face a delayed release.

Another good thing to come out of it will hopefully be some of the multi apartment style developments proposed at the old drive-in site (with stunning views over the old dump and light industrial area....God help us!!) and for the Tambrey complex may be withheld by developers for some time.

Once Woodside finish their Pluto construction, there could be a reasonable number of 3 & 4 bedroom houses they are currently leasing from private investors come back onto the rental market......how many?....I don't know, but I do know these leases are not going to be renewed at expiration of the optioned period......unless the project is delayed for any reason. Some of their staff are already FIFO with others to follow, but some will stay as permanent residential in housing outside of the camps.

My view is there will be some really good buying opportunities for people who research well and target distressed vendors, but bear in mind the local agents, God bless their darling souls, will be hell bent on keeping pricing sky high.

I say, it's us against them!!......Lock 'n load hombres!! Aim for their knees, cut 'em down!! Let's see blood in the streets........Yeee haaaaaa!!!

Bugger off Wayne & Moorey, get back to your panel!!

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian, I am new to this site, also live in Karratha and have property in Tassie. Where in Karratha are you? Love this site very informative cheers tams

Well, we just settled on a three year old 4x2 in Karratha. 11% gross yield plus depreciation should give us a bit of breathing space... I see that as a fair return for the risk.

Went down to the wire though with the finance - one bank approved the finance but then couldn't get their act together to get the docs to us in time despite a 60 day settlement period! Slower than a wet week! :mad: Good thing we had another bank lined up as backup plan number one... Wasn't ideal in the end for the deposit finance but overall happy to get the deal settled as it was a cash offer and we would otherwise have been just swinging in the wind!

And just to complicate things, in the middle of the settlement period the corporate tenant issued notice half way through their lease - they are still on the hook for another year or so by which time the new (lower rental - old tenant funds the difference) tenant will be pretty much back up to that rental with the escalation provisions in our lease...

Might have a sip of port tonight to celebrate! :cool:

Congratulations Hi Equity.

Getting money out of credit nowadays is a job well done.

Naturally I have to ask....the 11% p.a. gross yield translates to a nett yield of what % p.a. once outgoings are taken out ??

All the best.

Karratha is a strange place, resi yields are higher than comm yields. we hold a comm property there tho and it's a real star, Dazz you would love it. 4000sqm+ of CF+ dirt with a shed on it. All financed correctly and outgoings paid by tenant. GFCs can come and go in this situation. I just wish my whole portfolio looked like this.

resi up there is still ok tho. with the sorts of leases on offer they are a sort of hybrid resi/comm style investment anyway

Congratulations Hi Equity.

Getting money out of credit nowadays is a job well done.

Naturally I have to ask....the 11% p.a. gross yield translates to a nett yield of what % p.a. once outgoings are taken out ??

All the best.

Thanks Dazz!

Regarding the nett yield - I wish I knew! :p

Obviously this is a calculation incorporating the knowns (rates, insurance, prop mgt etc) plus the unknowns (tenants, maintenance etc.). Normally for our RIPs I would just take 25% of the rent off the top and call that nett as a rule of thumb for calculations. I typically get pleasantly surprised doing this but I like being conservative. However, in this case that represents a very significant sum of money... Much more than the total rent for a run of the mill IP in a capital city!

Going back to first principles I can only see about a 1.5% drop in yield from the predictable stuff. Insurance is a lot more expensive (cyclones) and rates aren't cheap. We shall see about the quality of property mgt as I have heard horror stories in this neck of the woods... however the cost is reasonable and we have lived in the area and been on the receiving end of this property manager b4 so we know they were doing quality work then. I sometimes didn't keep the garden quite as tidy as I could have and they were straight onto it with a breach notice that I deserved! :eek:

So I reckon with a budget of 9.5% nett we should be pretty safe even with Karratha extortionate pricing, unless rents drop from their stratospheric levels, which while certainly possible would require a fair amount of supply to be built in an environment of "difficult" finance... the gyrations of Pluto and other developments are always a risk of course!

Anyway, if you were to say that nett yields in this range aren't all that different to prime office space ATM then I would agree with you...(8.5%?) Hence we are still wanting to get into that space. The vagaries of Mr ASX have nearly given us the deposit for this one so we are pretty much in the same place we were a few months ago regarding equity for getting into CIPs. I am very mindful of the market taking back what it gives and would like to put it all into a nice juicy CIP with a good cashflow as soon as I can find one!

So why do this? Two reasons - the cost of funds is about 2.5% lower than CIP rates from what I can tell right now and the leverage, at 80% LVR (full doc - I think credit like the job more than the assets...), is about twice as much as we can get for a CIP at the moment (60%?). So, together with the depreciation, it was a compelling proposition. We don't want to have too much of our portfolio up there though as we know the risks in the area... One of the benefits of getting a bit bigger is that deals like this don't feel as risky to our overall position as they used to.

And BTW, our tenant for this one is now the State of Western Australia. You were right - it does feel good for them to be paying us for a change, covering the mortgage plus a bit for our trouble! :)

the cost of funds is about 2.5% lower than CIP rates from what I can tell right now and the leverage, at 80% LVR (full doc - I think credit like the job more than the assets...), is about twice as much as we can get for a CIP at the moment (60%?). So, together with the depreciation, it was a compelling proposition.

That's very strong logic and hard to fault. You've got me on the calculator doing some numbers.

The difficulty is finding a big ressy place to park your funds in that will produce a decent yield. You've obviously found something appropriate. You have me thinking now !!

The difficulty is finding a big ressy place to park your funds in that will produce a decent yield.

Have a surf and do some calcs. You might find that the yields max out around median...and there's also some crazy institutions still willing to fund at 95% for these regionals if you're willing to tip them. Should be a suburb or 2 there for you!!

Only down side so far is having a corporate tenant on a RTA. Apart from that it rains cash for very little down.:)

well mines... and burrup fertiliser and the massive LNG fields and dampier salt etc. Houses here are selling at or below replacement. The DHA ones were a rip so not sure why they sold so fast - plenty of stock on the open market to choose from

Hi Ausp, agree with your sentiments re: diversity of industry, not convinced about the houses selling at or below replacement?? Unless you're talking about old stock, the 30 year old Hammersley places are selling for what it costs for what it costs to build a new 4*2, house and land.

Prices up a little again this quarter, rents have stabilised. I see there's a house in our street for rent for $1900/week, we have a five year lease with the govenment from December @ $1600/week (for an identical house).

Put an offer in on a house up the road in Port Hedland for a ten year old house for $1.35m, vendor came back last week demanding we pay the $40K for agent's fees as well! We've been paying $2500/week for rent for almost two months now and he won't give us the keys!! I did go and stand on the driveway last night, but given that's all I've got for the $20K rent payed so far it's not great value...

The other house we were going to buy in Port - polystyrene house for $1.25K - the vendor decided two weeks ago that he wasn't going to include landscaping, driveway or pretty much anything else - take it or leave it.

K-town not quite as effervescent as Port, but I think things are still pretty shiny here - long may it continue! Am deciding at the moment whether to build another one - would prefer to do so in PH rather than K, but land can't be had there at the moment for love or money unfortunately.

Overall - my feeling is that everyone got a bit freaked out by the GFC last November, put their wallets away but have now realised they need a house for their employees to live in. So the market seems to be starting to move a little bit upwards again.

re: supply and demand - Does anyone know if there's any more land developments coming on line after Baynton West? I'm not aware of Landcorp having any near-term plans, I know I've seen the land out past Bulgarra as being slated for future development some time but I was kind of wondering if the very large supply of land released onto the market is going to be coming to an end soon.

We shall see about the quality of property mgt as I have heard horror stories in this neck of the woods... however the cost is reasonable and we have lived in the area and been on the receiving end of this property manager b4 so we know they were doing quality work then. I sometimes didn't keep the garden quite as tidy as I could have and they were straight onto it with a breach notice that I deserved! :eek:

Hi HE... who is the PM please? just wonderign who is good to use up there

For Sale

Hi to all.
Just joined about half hour ago. So bit new to this posting process.
Been reading whats been said about Karratha and wanted to let you know that I'm about to sell a property I have up there.
I lived up there for 37 years before moving to Perth where I've been for the past 2 years.
The house is a 4 bedroom 1.5 bathroom with office, patio front back and pool all sitting on a 800sqm + block. It's rented out to great tenents at $1600pw and is signed up for the next 3 years.
Will be putting $799 000 ono on it and see how I go.
If anybody out there is interested drop me a line. I'll be calling the agents up there on Monday so if want to know anything about it please feel free to ask a question.
Well hope this is my first of many entries and I get to talk to you all again.
Cheers

Hi All
am currently looking at Karratha, South Hedland is another option as it is cheaper.
Does anyone know whether mining companies have a preferred area for their workers.
I know very little about this area, would appreciate any help.

Cheers, MTR

Hi to all.
Just joined about half hour ago. So bit new to this posting process.
Been reading whats been said about Karratha and wanted to let you know that I'm about to sell a property I have up there.
I lived up there for 37 years before moving to Perth where I've been for the past 2 years.
The house is a 4 bedroom 1.5 bathroom with office, patio front back and pool all sitting on a 800sqm + block. It's rented out to great tenents at $1600pw and is signed up for the next 3 years.
Will be putting $799 000 ono on it and see how I go.
If anybody out there is interested drop me a line. I'll be calling the agents up there on Monday so if want to know anything about it please feel free to ask a question.
Well hope this is my first of many entries and I get to talk to you all again.
Cheers

Hi DAG,

curious as to why you're selling if it's a cash cow for you?

you're not "dags" from Wodjina, are you?

Back