Kitchen advice needed

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. But have lurked a little bit in the past. I recently purchased my first home. A little 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, DLUG 1950's house on 950 square metres in the hills district, and I have a hard decision to make...what to do with the kitchen.

click for a larger photo

Being an old house the kitchen is a very old style. Instead of melamine inside the cupboards as shelves, it has hard wood planks...rough ones.

Here is a photo of the current kitchen.

click for a larger photo

Long term plan with this place is to build something new on the land, eventually. But currently I'm going to be living in it, and within the next few years I will probably rent it out.

Now with that in mind, I don't want to do too much with the kitchen. Seeing as it will be demolished "eventually".

Originally the plan with the kitchen was to remove the lino (there are nice floor boards underneath), then sand the fronts of the cupboard doors down, and paint them white.

This plan came to a halt when I pulled the doors off and found the interior of the cupboards to be less than ideal (hard wood planks for shelves, covered in old vinyl contact, and generally feeling "unclean" inside).

After seeing this I then proceeded to remove the contact, to find the rough splintery wood of the shelves. The more work I did, the more I could see the amount of time I was spending would not be worth the end result. I also found the cupboard units weren't "sealed" and there were gaps where you could see through into the wall cavity. (these gaps were covered up with masking tape....)

So on the weekend I went to Bunnings to price up a flat pack kitchen. To replace the bottom section of the kitchen as seen in the picture would cost around $800. Plain white, no frills, bench top extra. So it would possibly cost $1000+ including a bench top, with me doing the labour.

Is this worth the money? In the future, will a potential renter decide to not rent this house if I were to leave the old cupboards in place, albeit cleaned up a little?

I should really take a photo of the inside of the cupboards so you can see what I'm dealing with. The insides are NOT very nice at all. I'm reluctant to put cutlery and plates in there at the moment, let alone food.

There are times when I think I should just replace the cupboards. But then I think about later on when I decide to demolish and rebuild.

Any advice would be really helpful, I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance.

I can see your dilemma.

If you do a quickie makeover with paint on the doors & vinyl on the internal shelves to cover up - how many years before you knock down & rebuild?

If its say less than 5 years then do a quickie.
If its 7 - 10 years do a proper job and replace the whole thing including appliances. It will improve CG and rental return (marginally - but you get depreciation allowances)

Then of course there's the bathroom ....yadda yadda

Aimy

Hi Wilch,

I also think that if you are only renting it out for up to 5 years to just tidy up the existing kitchen.

With a coat of white (or off white) paint I think the outside will come up nicely. The inside may just need some more contact covered over everything.
You could also replace the handles on the cupboards to new stainless steel ones.

Bronwyn.

IKEA or Bunnings flat-pak, or similar. Makes the kitchen nicer for the period you are living there, and easier to attract a tenant at a later stage.

Cheers
LynnH

Hi Wilch,

I also think that if you are only renting it out for up to 5 years to just tidy up the existing kitchen.

With a coat of white (or off white) paint I think the outside will come up nicely. The inside may just need some more contact covered over everything.
You could also replace the handles on the cupboards to new stainless steel ones.

Bronwyn.
I'm with Bronwyn on this one. This is your most cost effective option, and the one most likely to appeal to a tenant.

G'day Wilch,

The inside may just need some more contact covered over everything.
Or, why not see if you can buy melamine shelves only, then screw or glue these on top of the "splintering wood" shelves. Might be a good "halfway measure",

Regards,

Back