Kitchen Bench tops

I would stay clear of the gloss on a benchtop - I have a few Investment properties and 3 of them have "glossy types of benchtop laminex" and they all get marked very easily.
I think the Solid surface benchtops are the in thing - they have no joints and are seamless.

cheers

Mate...I was just looking at them porcelain tiles today and thought they looked awesome. Great idea.
The ones I was looking at were $130 per square meter. Do you mind me asking how much you were able to get yours for?

Cheers

Boods

To be honest I cant remember exactly. I think that's about right. I'm not 100% sure but I remember the range of prices being about $100 up to $200 per sqm for the top of the line. All up though, if your benchtop is, at most, 2 or 3 sq mtrs, you're up for about 400 bucks, plus about $100 in glues and grouts.

Remember that the product should be polished porcelain not ceramic or glazed etc. That means that the tile material is the same throughout and not a layer of molten glass poured over the top (glazed). The benefit of that is when you cut a tile, you can polish the edge yourself to "almost" the same gloss finish as the top (e.g. for the edge of the benchtop).

Pedro

so Pedro, did you butt them up tight to each other or did you leave a small gap and fill it with grout?
Also, what were they stuck onto, was it the old laminate top, or did you make a new one out of MDF and stick it to that?

Boods

Last edited:
No the tiles have a 2 mm (approx) gap. I think this is std for tiling. I asked around at various tile shops for advice on this. You really don't want to have the tiles touching in case the bench top flexes.

There are various options for what material to use in the gap. Normal grout, grout with a flexible additive, or silicone. I used a black heat resistant silicone which matches the glossiness of the tile, gives lots of flexing capacity and was cheaper ($36 for 3 tubes) and easier to use than any grout. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

The kitchen was new so there was no previous bench to lay onto. In a paranoic attempt to prevent any flexing, I think I overdid the rigidity of the thing by using 25mm MDF. See attached pdf file. You probably only need 19mm. But the ting sure is solid now I can assure you. I stood on it later to finish windows, cornices etc with no problems (and no scratches). Waterproofed the mdf and then glued standard villaboard to it. Once the MDF and villaboard was positioned on the cabinets, I traced the sink and cooktop cutouts from underneath the cabinets. Once the mdf/villaboard plank was cut out with a Jigsaw I placed some tiles on top and traced the tile cutouts. Tiles were taken to a waterjet cutting crew in Queanbeyan who did the job for $45. They also cut one tile for me in 30mm strips for the fronts. Whilst the tiles were being cut I fixed the MDF /Villaboard to the cabinets. Then all tiles were stuck down with a flexible tile adhesive. The second last step was to round off the front edges with ever decreasing coarseness of wet&dry papers and lots of water. Last thing was grouting (read silicone).

Learnt heaps

Attachments

• Benchtop1.pdf
    218 KB · Views: 158
Back