Kiwis - Are we very different from anyone else?

What's not to love abou New Zealand and Kiwi's!!

Beautiful country, custom made for getting some of the finest racehorses off to a good start, the soil/mineral content is magic.

Great movies, great music/musicians, beautiful country (did I already say that?:p). You guys get rain.

Not to mention TV interviewers like John Campbell and politicians like Winston Peters!

Nothing like this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeHlFAhTcDk

I think in many ways NZ is just part of Aus . Another state .

Every now and then the concept of joining the two nations as one comes up. So there would be the North Island the South Island and the West Island. :rolleyes:

The first time I visited New Zealand (Christchurch)it felt like going back 20 years. When I mentioned this to a Kiwi mate when I got back home he seemed rather put out by my comment. I think its more because Christchurch as mentioned before is just a big country town really.

Ya gotta love "Piggy" Muldoon. 'Twas he that claimed that Kiwi migration to Oz raised the IQ of both countries. A good line.:D And didn't he end up in The Rocky Horror Show?

Queen Bee said:
I don't know many Kiwi's that would even know what a piece of No. 8 wire looked like!
Well here's one who does <holding up hand>. I lived on a dairy farm in my youth and spent many a day fencing, although not normally with No 8 wire - usually something thinner.

topcropper said:
Christchurch is basically a big country town.
I like Christchurch. Lived there for 6 years when I was at university. For a NZer not living in Auckland or Wellington, Christchurch is quite a big city :D. It's usually described as a very English city, with its cathedral and setting on the Avon river. One of its sister cities is Adelaide.

The Canterbury Plains can get very dry, in contrast to the West Coast which can get very wet - often at the same time. A number of years ago my wife and I went back for a holiday in February and drove from Christchurch over to the West Coast. At that time, the plains were in drought and everything was parched brown, while the West Coast had been having rain and floods.

Sunfish said:
Ya gotta love "Piggy" Muldoon ... And didn't he end up in The Rocky Horror Show?
He did, as the criminologist/narrator. And that's "Sir" Piggy Muldoon to you. :D

GP

I hadn't though much about NZ until I met my husband. He was born here but his Dad is maori, one of 19 children and a further 5 half siblings. What I like about my NZ whanau ( family) is that they are much more open, welcoming and accepting than my own, nothing is too much trouble. They have such a strong sense of family and history. I love going to visit, but they are spread so far over the country that we never get a moment to ourselves, they all know exactly what we are doing and where we are from the moment we arrive till the moment we leave. At a recent family reunion, the new Maori King came, a great honour, and squished noses with everyone. I don't think ole Elizabeth would respond to an invite to a reunion from my mum's side.

I think the country is beautiful, a tad cold for me but there is so much variety packed into such a small space.

I was born in New Zealand..

To English parents......

And have been in Australia since I was 8.

When I travelled O/S I was generally suprised at the rivalry between the two countries.

I have to agree and think NZ is absolutely picturesque. I do find the Kiwi's to be a little more laid back in NZ than we here in Aus.

I consider myself an Aussie but tend to sit on the fence, neither bagging Aussie's or Kiwi's. I have to whinge about the Pom's though!:):)

Regards,
Jo

Well if the same principle was applied to NZ sports, then rugby aside, there wouldn't be much sport to talk about ;)

Luv ya Kiwis, especially this one.....

isabeli-fontana2.jpg

I thought Rob W would appreciate this one.

Oh Buzz,

I don't know where you dug that one up from, but I wish you'd get rid of it. It's just so embarressing for me now.

Regards Jo

...and that is my hat!!!

Actually what is her name? one very beautiful woman.

However, I must also commend *New Zealand for producing one of our most sexy, talented, funny guys...who?

..........> Hugh

* I have no idea where he was born, but I would just like to thank NZ regardless.

Attachments

• hugh.JPG
    hugh.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 47
You guys get rain.

haha. That's funny, I've never seen so much rain since I've been here. And since there's nothing much else to do when you live in NZ except analyse the weather (which we are experts at), we have come to the conclusion that the rain is wetter in the Gold Coast, and the drops are bigger.

Wasn't there a big feud years ago about the sheep shearing too. I remember something about that, you guys used different shears and .... well that's all I can remember.

About the sports, well the whole country goes into mourning when we lose the rugby. We win, it's on every front page newspaper in the country and everyone's patting each other on the back. I always found that a bit strange, there could be a major earthquake somewhere in the world with 1,000s of people dead, but the rugby will be on the front page if we won.

I find the States thing here really quite strange sometimes, they're like their little own countries aren't they. We've got some people from Victoria down the street, and they were talking about how their kids have never played rugby league before, they don't know the rules, cos they don't play it down there. Heaps of people from Victoria on the Gold Coast too.

Yes, I agree with the whanau (family) thing, but the Greeks and Italians would all have the same kind of extended family concept thing going on too wouldn't they. My husbands family is huge too, his mother was one of 18 and he has 10 siblings.

Funny thing yesterday though, talk about those bloody Kiwi's in Aussie thing. My husband is a Maori and his cousin and family live in this really flash area in Benowa. They got a dam hangi pit in their backyard. So yesterday rings up to invite us around for a feed, hubby went round early to help him dig the hole. Anyway I turn up in the afternoon, they take the hangi baskets out. I said "whats those green leaves on top of the hangi basket, are they banana leaves (we don't have them in NZ). Cousin said "yep". Oh cool I said (cos banana leaves are very cool!) where did you get those. He said "Coles". I said "wow, that's so cool, I didn't know they sold banana leaves there. He said "they don't. Seem's he said to my hubby, hey come down to Coles with me, I've gotta go get some banana leaves, my husband said the same thing, do they sell them there (he gets excited over banana leaves too, so exotic!). They pull into the carpark, park discreetly behind the Coles sign, his cousin jumps into the back of the truck, pulls out his extended loppers, and starts pruning the dam banana tree in the carpark. My husband starts freaking out, OMG, you're gonna get us in trouble, hurry up. So everytime I looked at these dam banana leaves last night I just cracked up laughing.

Wasn't there a big feud years ago about the sheep shearing too. I remember something about that, you guys used different shears and .... well that's all I can remember.

That was 20 years ago, or maybe 30? Something to do with wide shears, unions, kiwi shearers, dunno, sheep are called 'maggot taxi's' or 'ground lice' in my area. The last one was shot dead decades ago around here, and a big celebration was had.

What about some differences..??

You can buy alcohol in the supermarket over there.

Supermarkets have grocery trollies with the back wheels locked straight, like a pram, so much easier to steer. [why the hell don't we do that?]

Lots of people buy beer by going to the grog shop and filling up those huge glass bottles out of the tap. Perhaps they are 5 litres?

Sausages are mostly already cooked. Just heat em up.

What about those egg roles? Weird? The egg white and yolk are reconstituted into a role, and you slice it up like a role of salami. Didn't like that one bit. How easy to boil an egg and slice it up?

Diesel is way cheaper than petrol. The way it should be.

Eskies are called chilly bins.

Not many tile roofs in kiwi, mostly metal. That's a good idea I reckon, tile roofs are silly.

Kiwi's watch a lot more Pommie TV than American. In Oz, it's probably the opposite.
Aussies are probably more US orientated, and Kiwi's, Pommie orientated.

What other differences are there?

See ya's.

What about some differences..??

You can buy alcohol in the supermarket over there.

Supermarkets have grocery trollies with the back wheels locked straight, like a pram, so much easier to steer. [why the hell don't we do that?]

Lots of people buy beer by going to the grog shop and filling up those huge glass bottles out of the tap. Perhaps they are 5 litres?

Sausages are mostly already cooked. Just heat em up.

What about those egg roles? Weird? The egg white and yolk are reconstituted into a role, and you slice it up like a role of salami. Didn't like that one bit. How easy to boil an egg and slice it up?

Diesel is way cheaper than petrol. The way it should be.

Eskies are called chilly bins.

Not many tile roofs, mostly metal. That's a good idea I reckon, tile roofs are silly.

What other differences are there?

See ya's.

OMG, don't even go there with the supermarket trollies!!! They are mental here, is that why they don't go straight. I always try to do parcel pick up so I don't have to deal with the things.

Differences:

Eftpos: they think you're so stupid that you can't press Savings or Cheque yourself.

Asking if it's credit on an eftpos card. Ummm der

Cash out?

No alcohol in the supermarkets? LOL, I like it actually.

No 24hr supermarkets on the Gold Coast that I know off.

Bulk billing - Gotta luv it!

Wearing undies on the beach. Wrong wrong wrong on so many levels! Specially on saggy old men

You can't click the petrol thingey down you've gotta stand there and hold it.

Thongs are knickers

...but.... (But what!!!)

No drama's

Beno, Stevo, Mikeo, Jimo, oooooooo

Come on say "chup"

No pre cooked sausages!!! Haven't u heard of food poisening?

Free BBQ's in the parks. Gotta luv them

No indicators on the cars in Australia!!!!

Can tell a Kiwi on the motorway, they're always up your backside trying to get in front

The Dairy is the Convenience Store

NZ cheese is cheaper in Australia!!! Milk to cheap, cheap, cheap!

Butter is $5.00 for 500grams

Potatoes are really expensive here

topcropper

LOL. They still have those big bottles to fill up with beer. They're 2 gallons, which is about 9 litres? You can fill them up with sherry as well! I think they came from the old days of 6pm closing of the pub, people would wash them and fill them up so they could go back home and drink. You use to get about 6 of them in a wooden crate, maybe 4, can't remember, my Dad use to have them.

I love the tile roofs here, tin is so noisey.

And doona we call duvets.

NZ doesn't have magpies that try to kill you

In Oz, to get to the beach, well, it's just there. The town is built around the beach. If your rich, it's a walk, if your not, it's a bit longer.

In kiwi, south island at least, to get to the beach, you have to go past the industrial area, past the rubbish tip and then the sewage works, and then it's a 5k drive down a little dirt road full of potholes. Then when you get there, the wind and cold and gravel, you wouldn't dare get out of the car, and you realise why the town is away from the beach.

See ya's.

Last edited:
LOL. In NZ our beach was about 10 mins drive away. When I got there, it was usually so cold and windy that I would make hubby drive onto the beach he would get outta the car with the kids, I would stay inside in the warm and watch.

I noticed at Centrelink here anything over 3 children is classed as a large family!

Although I must say, even though I complained about Telecom back in NZ, OMG, I'm sorry, cos Telstra is 100 times worse for getting any problem resolved.

In NZ you top-up your cellphone, in Aus you recharge it. In NZ you recharge it when it's flat. In Aus you recharge it with $30 you get $180 credit. In NZ you top-up $10 you get $10 credit.

Broadband is 10 x faster in Australia than in NZ.

The guy at the local bottle store on Sat said he knew I was Kiwi cos I made my kids stay outside and wait for me. He said the Aussies just bring their kids inside. But thinking about that, I always thought it was illegal in NZ to take your kids inside a bottlestore, not sure though.

Yeh I know, but bottlestores sell spirits and mixers etc, supermarkets only sell wine and beer, maybe it's not seen as the same. I don't even know why I do that, now that you say that. It seems different going to pick up the butter, sugar and box of beer, than it does going to the bottlestore and getting it. Weird.

Our pre mixed alcohol is cheaper and stronger in NZ than yours too. e.g. 330ml Vodka pre-mixed 12 pack is $24.99 in NZ. I brought a 4 pack here the other day, $13 for 4 pack.

But wine is cheaper here.

And bottleshops in NZ have Flybuys. In NZ in the supermarkets in can't get Flybuys if you buy smokes, but you can for grog, but Aussie you can get Flybuys for smokes in the supermarket, but never seen anywhere that does Flybuys for grog. Funny some of the things the different countries do.

Also, heaps more people smoke here, whereas in NZ, people can get dirty looks if they smoke.

They still have those big bottles to fill up with beer. They're 2 gallons, which is about 9 litres? You use to get about 6 of them in a wooden crate, maybe 4
There are 2 gallon flagons, but the common beer ones were half a gallon (a bit over 2 litres), six to a crate. They were commonly referred to as "half g's" or "jars" (never mind the elephant joke: what's big and grey and comes in half g's?). At one small engineering workshop where I worked during university, a shout was a crate or two of flagons (typically amongst about 6 people). My father had them a lot on the farm too, exchanging a crate of empties for full ones at the local pub. In the evening after a day of haymaking (pressing and stacking), all the guys would drop in for a feed and drink, and out would come the flagons.

NZ doesn't have magpies that try to kill you
Like hell they don't. I remember a few occasions on the farm as a young kid where we couldn't venture out the back door without being dive bombed from a nearby tree. And the local country primary school had one in a tree beside the football field one year, terrorising anyone who ventured onto the field or even back to the bike sheds. Smart little bugger too. If anyone turned up with a rifle, you wouldn't see hide nor hair of it.

GP

And telling my daughter to have a drink at the water fountain at school, and she's saying it's called a "bubbly". So I had to go investigate whether it bubbled or not. And it doesn't! I'm learning fast though!

That must be one of those east coast terms, never heard it before. Hey east coasters - say 'pool' for me. :p

When I was a kid at school, the drinking fountain was called 'the bubbler'.
Just asked my kids. Still called 'the bubbler'.

See ya's.

Back