Knocking out 2 non load bearing walls? - Perth

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of knocking out 2 non load bearing walls in my mosman park townhouse. 1 is a wall seperating the kitchen from the laundry. It's a 2m x 1m single brick wall. The other wall is 2m by 75cm between the kitchen and loungroom.

I'm very much a non D.I.Y guy after giving my bathroom a go so I was wondering if anyone could provide an estimate on how much the job would cost?

Also can anyone recommend anyone for the job?

Thanks very much!

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of knocking out 2 non load bearing walls in my mosman park townhouse. 1 is a wall seperating the kitchen from the laundry. It's a 2m x 1m single brick wall. The other wall is 2m by 75cm between the kitchen and loungroom.

I'm very much a non D.I.Y guy after giving my bathroom a go so I was wondering if anyone could provide an estimate on how much the job would cost?

Also can anyone recommend anyone for the job?

Thanks very much!

It's actually not that difficult and you can save yourself some dollars. Be doublely sure that the walls are not load bearing, and make sure you turn power and gas off before doing anything.

Knocking out the bricks and lugging them out to a skip bin will probably save you about a grand. The price of the skip bin you can't avoid and this will probably be the most expensive part.

Be sure to protect your floors too! And where bricks are tied in, you'll probably need an angle grinder, but you might leave this bit to whoever is doing the cleanup/plastering.

It's actually not that difficult and you can save yourself some dollars. Be doublely sure that the walls are not load bearing, and make sure you turn power and gas off before doing anything.

Knocking out the bricks and lugging them out to a skip bin will probably save you about a grand. The price of the skip bin you can't avoid and this will probably be the most expensive part.

Be sure to protect your floors too! And where bricks are tied in, you'll probably need an angle grinder, but you might leave this bit to whoever is doing the cleanup/plastering.

Doesnt matter about the floor as it's just concrete floor with laminate on top and the laminate is also coming out so that saves some time I guess!

I was thinking about doing it myself and I am comfortable doing so I just don't know what to do after the walls out. How you touch it up etc

Best thing to do would be to get the wall out and then post pics of what needs to be patched so people can advise. You might even get someone else to do the patching because it requires more skill than knocking down a wall.

As gooram said, make doubly sure the wall is not load bearing, turn off services, and wear eye protection.

What is the best way to ensure the wall is not load bearing? My wife and I were looking at a place on the weekend that could benefit from a wall being knocked down but neither of us knew how to confirm 100% if the wall could removed.

Cheers,

Builders can look at a wall and give an opnion on whether it would be load bearing based on building conventions, but I reckon the only way to be absolutely sure would be to stick your head up in the ceiling.

If the ceiling is a slab, you'd need to talk to an engineer I reckon.

I've taken load bearing and non load bearing walls out - following advice - and neither are all that hard to do.

Hey everyone,

The only problem will be is what is above the walls,if it's another level then these walls may vey well be "LB" walls,i would be getting a builder and Sparkie in prior just to see if everything is safe..willair..

Back