Lets give our farmers grants not Holden

Are you talking about farm management deposit scheme? Where a farmer puts money away in good years, and can get it out in bad ones? All this does is makes tax fair. When the money comes out in a bad year it is still taxed!

You must realise that sometimes a farmer might make a quarter million profit one year, then nothing the next few? Surely you can see how they are a bit different.

Are you talking about where income can be averaged out among the rest of the family in the business? So that's no different to any other business.

Topcropper, just off the top of my head, I thought farmers could average their income over 3 years. I think sports people could also do this. This is a benefit the ordinary worker on wages doesn't have.

Are you talking about the diesel tax rebate. Farmers get a refund back from fuel taxes because their machinery does not use the road system, which is heavily subsidised by general taxes. Just like miners. If farmers and miners didn't get this rebate, it would mean they'd be subsidising everyone else by paying for roads they don't use. Farmers still pay full price for fuel used in cars and trucks that use the road system.

Topcropper, No, I agree with this rebate

What are these depreciation benefits?

What are these incentives to connect power, phone, build a dam etc. It costs a farmer a small fortune to put in a few power poles. Phone, everything else. Show me some examples of what you are talking about?

Topcropper, I was under the impression that farmers get some form of accelerated depreciation on improvements such as power connection etc. Yes, I agree they are expensive. But an business in the city may also spend a fortune setting up.

Topcropper, just off the top of my head, I thought farmers could average their income over 3 years. I think sports people could also do this. This is a benefit the ordinary worker on wages doesn't have.

this is one that should definitely be extended to developers - developer's income is even more lumpy than farming

Topcropper, just off the top of my head, I thought farmers could average their income over 3 years. This is a benefit the ordinary worker on wages doesn't have..

What I can't get my head around is why an ordinary worker would want to average their income? A farmer who earns a quarter million one year, then nothing the next few needs to be able to average his income, otherwise he's paying the top tax rate on the bumper year, and nothing the others, thus he's paying the top tax rate on all his earnings when in reality he's not on a top income when averaged out.

See ya's.

Topcropper, I was under the impression that farmers get some form of accelerated depreciation on improvements such as power connection etc. Yes, I agree they are expensive. But an business in the city may also spend a fortune setting up.

Dunno. My accountant does our tax. Your now past my level of knowledge. All I know is that it costs tens of thousands per power pole. So we went a generator for the silo complex instead. So at least we are not subsidising road users for the diesel the generator uses when we get the diesel tax rebate back.

See ya's.

Developers then should get onto their local member and lobby to bring it in to make it fair. That's what farmers did.

See ya's.

would never happen - like it or not everyone in this country thinks they are blue collar hard done by and half of them think they are farmers. developers could never get the support that car makers or farmers receive

would never happen - like it or not everyone in this country thinks they are blue collar hard done by and half of them think they are farmers. developers could never get the support that car makers or farmers receive

I suppose at least farmers are concentrated in a few electorates. Developers are evenly spread right across the nation. Farmers are only 3% of the workforce! In theory they shouldn't have much power.

See ya's.

this is one that should definitely be extended to developers - developer's income is even more lumpy than farming
It's a chosen profession though.

The same problem exists for sportspeople as well (who are not contracted by a team, etc - tennis players and golfers, etc).

Maybe in the case of developers it should be different because they are providing a needed resource - housing - but the world works in funny ways.

Back