Liberals - policies may cause a recession??

Son... love it :D.

I think you might be getting your business confidence confused with consumer confidence ;).

Plibersek's husband has now got years of experience behind him. Even with the criticism that O'Farrell attracted it was probably easier for him to let that one go.

He is well regarded by the government. Surely his ability to turn his life around is a central part of the liberal party ethnic? A fair few other department hwads were let go.

I am...old.....so I call people son.... ;)

Well according to economic articles I am reading....business confidence and consumer confidence are intertwined. The key here is jobs....unfortunately it is tracking badly in some states...

Her hubbie is acutally quite talented.....I have seen him in action....

There are many economic indicators, and all show different results.

danc and i were discussing business confidence, which is UP.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/business-confidence

I'm sure he is very talented when in action.

There are many economic indicators, and all show different results.

danc and i were discussing business confidence, which is UP.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/business-confidence

I'm sure he is very talented when in action.

I have seen an upswing in enquiries and new jobs since the election. From speaking with a number of clients most of that is down to a definite political decision - if it was a definitive labor victory it would be largely the same. The uncertainty was the killer.

According to the NAB economic report indicator business confidence was much the same before the election was announced.

australia-business-confidence.png

I don't see how things would have been the same if it was the other way.

For starters, business would not have had the same burdens placed on them, that they had while under Labor.

Politics

Always guaranteed to provide long and moderated threads :D

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly' meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. ;)

I've oft wondered with commentators saying that areas are 'safe liberal (or labor) seats', does your geography shape your ideology? Is it your upbringing, or circle of influence? Can a die hard supporter ever change?

sash and danc, what evidence do you both have that show business confidence is down?

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/unemployment-rate-worst-in-10-years-20140213-32jqx.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qa...deral-assistance/story-fni0fiyv-1226836427210

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...nry-near-geelong/story-fni0fit3-1226830117231

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ne-as-sales-flag/story-e6frg6nf-1226819522478

EDIT: I also see it with my business clients. My mostly Liberal voting clients are happier with the government, but they aren't hiring any more people, and they aren't making any more money. But it is early days.

Your claims a few months ago that increased tax revenue from a happy business sector would more than pay for the eleventy billion dollar paid parental leave scheme was fanciful then, and even more far off now.

Last edited:
According to the NAB economic report indicator business confidence was much the same before the election was announced.

In my humble opinion, I'd put that down to the minority government, and the job Abbott did as opposition leader, rather than Labor per se.

All the companies falling like dominoes failed under Labor's watch.

These companies were never going to have increased tax revenue.

Consumer confidence is down but business confidence isn't.

Those articles don't provide any evidence that other companies are feeling negative about their future.

If anything I think what is happening could be a reminder of how much worse it could have got had Labor returned to government.

Regarding the employment rate... last year Labor predicted unemployment would rise to over 6% based on their own projections.

I've oft wondered with commentators saying that areas are 'safe liberal (or labor) seats', does your geography shape your ideology? Is it your upbringing, or circle of influence? Can a die hard supporter ever change?

I moved from a Green electorate to a Liberal one but my ideology was already shaped before then.

I moved from a Green electorate to a Liberal one but my ideology was already shaped before then.

Yep. I think the electorate you live in really has very little impact.

I've moved from swing seats to very safe liberal to very safe labor.

The only difference is that in a swing seat projects actually get funding and votes are tried to be won. In safe seats you get a rougher deal IMO.

All the companies falling like dominoes failed under Labor's watch.

These companies were never going to have increased tax revenue.

Consumer confidence is down but business confidence isn't.

Those articles don't provide any evidence that other companies are feeling negative about their future.

If anything I think what is happening could be a reminder of how much worse it could have got had Labor returned to government.

Regarding the employment rate... last year Labor predicted unemployment would rise to over 6% based on their own projections.

I wasn't blaming either party for the thousands of job losses listed, merely pointing out that these large employers have no increase in confidence since September. All those decisions were made post election, even if they had been coming for years. (For the pedants, Ford made their decision pre-September, the timing has changed since.)

Unemployment is an indicator of confidence. It has gone up, fewer people are in employment, therefore business is not as confident as you think.

Would it have been worse under Labor? Probably, but that's not the point.

The point is that we were told that we would all be farting through silk after the election, we would all be so happy and wealthy and businesses would be paying their taxes with smiles on their faces and a thank you note to Tony and Joe because of their increased revenue. So much so, that they would be happy with the INCREASE in the company tax rate.

It's a nonsense, and only the truly rusted on ever believed it.

Of course the ones going down have no confidence.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Labor introduced policies that are potentially crippling to business.

For some it was the nail in the coffin.

These were implemented at a time that Australia was entering vulnerable economic times.

I recognise that Alcoa's problems were a result of a few factors, and that Alcoa states it the CT wasn't the cause of their financial collapse, but hitting them with a 137M carbon tax bill is helpful?

Interesting article today about the effects of the RET.

These 2 alone don't help manufacturing one bit.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...-target-is-right/story-fnbkvnk7-1226836314339

merely pointing out that these large employers have no increase in confidence since September.

Actually you were pointing out the business community in general.

The NAB conducted research on 350 small, meduim and large companies and found the results to be different to your opinion.

Don't know how many times I need to point this out!

I actually got angry because they started scrapping car parks in the CBD and putting in bike lanes that no one ever uses...thank God I moved out.

What do you mean "You Don't Have a Bike?"

However, I'm starting to find the popularity of biking rather annoying too - I'm starting to see traffic jams on CBD bike paths here in Perth!

I recognise that Alcoa's problems were a result of a few factors, and that Alcoa states it the CT wasn't the cause of their financial collapse, but hitting them with a 137M carbon tax bill is helpful?

Greg Hunt in 2012:

The announcement of a $40 million carbon tax bailout to meet Alcoa?s $40 million carbon tax bill says everything about the tax.

The carbon tax bailout arrives in the week that the tax starts. It almost perfectly matches the carbon tax impact on Alcoa. It will be paid in advance, in cash before the end of the week, in order to prevent job losses at Alcoa?s Geelong plant.

However, I'm starting to find the popularity of biking rather annoying too - I'm starting to see traffic jams on CBD bike paths here in Perth!

Well you can't make deliveries on bikes. Not everyone tries to get around the city wearing Lycra and a helmet. Silly idea that wastes taxpayer money and disrupts the city for everyone else.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Labor introduced policies that are potentially crippling to business.

Huh?

You are so focussed on kicking Labor that you are missing the whole point of my posts.

The NAB survey shows business confidence has improved. I concede that.

What impact has that confidence had on the economy? Four fifths of **** all. Unemployment is up. The increase in confidence that these 350 (or about 0.0175% of all businesses) have is not converting into employing, replacing hardware or spending money.

But as I already have said, it's early days. Real business action will come from the decisions of this government, not just their election.

Interesting article today about the effects of the RET.

These 2 alone don't help manufacturing one bit.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...-target-is-right/story-fnbkvnk7-1226836314339

Before you go too far with this argument, you may wish to know that it was John Howard who invented the RET way back in 2001 and the Coalition has always been its strongest supporter, voting for the current target only a couple of years ago in a rare display of the whole Parliament being in full agreement - Liberal, Labor and Greens.

As for Professor Sloan, I think she needs to pay more attention to her own economics classes if she thinks that increasing the supply of electricity at the same time that demand for it is reducing will somehow make prices go up? While she's looking for industries that defy the laws of economics, she should perhaps turn her attention to the network companies who have been gouging the market while making sure that everyone has been looking elsewhere....

Well you can't make deliveries on bikes. Not everyone tries to get around the city wearing Lycra and a helmet. Silly idea that wastes taxpayer money and disrupts the city for everyone else.

youre joking right? im someone who doesnt ride bikes but i fully support nmore people doing so. you do realise that each person out there on a bike can mean 1 less car on the road right? do the maths on taxpayer dollars being spent on creating bike paths vs trying to ease congestion via more tunnels etc, i think you'll find it is a much more efficent use of $$

youre joking right? im someone who doesnt ride bikes but i fully support nmore people doing so. you do realise that each person out there on a bike can mean 1 less car on the road right?

You are conflating the two arguments of bike/car use and the ramifications of trying to retro-fit a modern city with bike paths that no one uses. Next time you are down here come and look at the number of lanes in our CBD that have been reduced to make way for some obscure bike lanes that has not a soul in it. Then think about how many cars could have actually gone through instead and/or parked there that would generate business into the CBD. People like me don't even go to the CBD anymore for this very reason - a loss for traders and the CBD as a whole. Not to mention the cost of the roadworks.

I am all for healthy living but it has to make practical sense. I cannot envisage that a greater number of people would start riding into the CBD (for work, pleasure or otherwise) - and even if they did, this is more than likely to be outweighed by destruction of business being dissuaded from coming into town. Destroying the city amenities for some Greenie loony idea is ridiculous.

Back