Linked-In

Have recently updated an old Linked-In profile

It looks like there's a number of new functions and I've found it an interesting way of updating my profile, though others seem to be recommending skills for me that I'm reluctant to add myself :D

I originally set up a Linked-In account years ago at the request of an employer, who had asked his team to set up profiles

It keeps me updated on the profiles of current or ex workmates which is always interesting

It seems to be an effective and organised professional networking system

Are others using Linked-In and if so, how and why?

I've used it, and it does get me the odd call for an old skill which is hard to find but out of date. It's led to a couple of job applications from agents but not even a nibble from their clients.

I will be actively in the job market when I complete my current diploma. I have, in the meantime, picked up a few hints from a few sources.

There's even books available on the subject.

It's linked from my profile.

Yes I use it.
1)Professionally with colleagues, keeping up to date with discussions on closed groups is great
2) Clients have looked me up and added me. I make it a point to add all client to my profile. This way my name and position is highlighted to all there networks
3) Job Offers- I have had 2 serious approaches of which I have declined both

I am on it and am friends with Geoffw I think!

It is also good for the groups you can join. I am a member of several groups related to estate planning, law, SMSFs and property etc.

Hey Terry

Any groups on SMSF / Property that you'd be willing to share?

Cheers

Try
Australian Succession Lawyers
Financial Planners Australia Group
Wealth Management - Advice (Australia)
Business Succession Planning Group
SMSF Advanced Strategies Group
The SMSF Academy | Growing your SMSF business Group

I'm on it as well.

I don't have many "connections" at the moment, but use it for the group discussions with REIV

I just checked and over half of the people I do have are on the forum as well!

It is called 'connections' :p

I keep facebook for friends and family only and LinkedIn for work related people.
I'm a bit active on LinkedIn especially on few groups. Even my resume has a link to the LinkedIn page. Few people here, who I dealt with in the past, are on my connections.

Yes, that's me. Sometimes it's a bit hard to equate a username with a real name.

I also have used LinkedIn to contact old uni friends. I'm in a generation where Facebook is not as commonly used.

I use it daily. It has grown more useful and relevant to me as they've tweaked it over the years.

Many SSers include a link to their profiles like I have done just under the green kudos dots in this post.

Last edited:
It works for me now.

I'm told that now ATO people go into coffee shops to count the number of kgs of coffee beans they use- and if it doesn't match up they assess undeclared income.

It was the "bean counter" in your profile that reminded me of that.

Yep, on there, use it daily, had a few job offers, mainly keep up to date with former work mates. Mainly it helps me keep in touch with recruiters, I'm in IT contracting.

Cheers
Graeme

It works for me now.

I'm told that now ATO people go into coffee shops to count the number of kgs of coffee beans they use- and if it doesn't match up they assess undeclared income.

It was the "bean counter" in your profile that reminded me of that.

Yes, when I did accounting at uni 20 years ago we had a video about tax audits and the tax guy observed that whilst cash receiving businesses often understated their takings they never lied about their outgoings. If the ratio of takings to purchases fell outside what they considered the norm for that sort of business an audit would be triggered.

Back