Live cattle trade to Indonesia

Considering the four corners report I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the live cattle trade to Indonesia yet. I'll be back this evening to see what you all think.

That 4 corners show was truely repugnant. What happens to those cattle is an embarrasment to me and Australia.

This muslem way of killing animals shouldn't involve all the rest of the cruelty what goes on. Can't the cattle be stunned first and then hung up and have their throats cut, unconsious, while facing muhammad or Mecca or whatever it is that they do?

Different societies have different views about cruelty. It's why Aussie diggers after wars were finished and their horses couldn't be bought home with them, would rather shoot their own horses, rather then let them live and let the locals get hold of them.

See ya's.

I won't watch the videos.

I think it's disgusting and I don't think any government in their right mind would allow this to continue, inept or not.

it was vile and repugnant. no living creature should be treated that way - let alone one that is about to die.

i am please exports were immediately stopped. why can't we set up abbatiors here that kill the animals humanely, and according to muslim law, and then freight the meat? surely, if these muslims are worried, they could have an onsite inspector or something?

why can't we set up abbatiors here that kill the animals humanely, and according to muslim law, and then freight the meat? surely, if these muslims are worried, they could have an onsite inspector or something?

I'm pretty sure the poor beast is supposed to be alive when it's throat is cut.:eek: Otherwise there's no, um, virgins and stuff. So that's a major problem. It's a bit hard not to be cruel if the beast has to be alive when it's done. :confused:

It all looked terribly unhygienic too in those Indonesian abbatoirs. The carcas being dragged through mud and feices. Yuc.

In Australian abbatoirs, the beast has an explosive bolt straight into the brain, in an enclosed cubical whense the cattle behind can't see what's happening.

It wouldn't worry me greatly if we banned all live meat exports to muslem countries, but I suppose they would just buy it elsewhere. :(

See ya's.

Last edited:
I wasn't taking much notice thinking it was probably just more typical Australian standards - "we're so good" - BS , until I walked in on a clip .
That was ugly stuff , I'd be pulling the pin on selling to them until they clean that act up even if that only starts with stun guns.

Cheers

Frankly, I think the country would be better off if the processing jobs were kept in Australia.

There was a discussion on the radio yesterday, apparently once Australia banned live exports to Egypt the people there decided that they COULD accept meat from animals slaughtered in Australia to halal conditions.
Marg

it was vile and repugnant. no living creature should be treated that way - let alone one that is about to die.

i am please exports were immediately stopped. why can't we set up abbatiors here that kill the animals humanely, and according to muslim law, and then freight the meat? surely, if these muslims are worried, they could have an onsite inspector or something?

Lizzie

One argument put forward by a live cattle lobbyist in reports yesterday is that we no longer have the expertise for the industry.
I had to laugh at this statement as one of the abattoirs in the program was a turnkey setup by our company, we have done several in Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Russia, South Africa and consulted on one in the USA.

I really can not understand the cruelty as it directly affects the quality. Most abattoirs we have seen here the unloading through to the kill process is videoed, any cruelty ends up in instant dismissal it is drummed into all employees at induction.

All that is needed is certified Halal Slaughter men. The animal is stunned first and rendered unconscious then the Halal ritual preformed, The ritual neck cut is carried out by a specially trained Muslim slaughter man. The head of the lying animal faces Mecca.

I cannot remember when this was written, but NZ has very little if no live exports.

“New Zealand knows the benefits of slaughtering at home. New Zealand’s meat export industry is a major employer of labour, engaging close to 8% of the nation’s workforce. The industry employs nearly 60,000 people.6 With Government and industry making a strategic decision to restrict live exports, New Zealand processors have been able to focus their attention on creating value-adding opportunities through further processing. Over the past 10 years, the volume of sheep meat further processed in New Zealand has risen from around 25% to over 80% of the total export kill.7 This has significantly increased the value of their exports and evidently made an enormous contribution to the nation in terms of employment and indirect flow-on benefits”

Though I’m biased there is a real benefit to many if we do it here.

A lot of the problem is not tariffs on our meat now days it is the certifications put on our abattoirs for different countries, its really tariffs by stealth.

I watched a few of those videos out of Egypt once upon a time and was revolted. Halal this halal that but in practice the animals were scared to death, hoisted up in big machines with blood gushing all over the place while workers stood around completely unfussed - and I go hunting personally!

I always thought it was a bit stupid sending live animals to other countries anyway. Many of them suffer and die on the ship, plus shipping whole animals plus vets plus feed plus waste disposal on the high seas is ridiculously inefficient compared to sending containers full of frozen meat.

I did have a laugh at the people saying that they simply wouldn't buy Territory cattle anymore - the demand for meat in asia is exploding, and isn't going to stop anytime soon. Build some abbatoirs and call their bluff imo.

What would be truly funny is if we 457 VISAed their workers and put them in a Territory abbotoir, then taxed them :D

Ok, so we all agree that what they do is cruel and shouldn't be tolerated. Not surprising. But what do we do about it. If we completely ban the live export then I'm sure they would just buy their cattle from Brazil or somewhere else. Some people seem to think that's ok because at least they're not our cattle. I think that unless we (all Australians, not just the beef industry) chuck a heap of money at it to improve abbatoirs and employ inspectors then it will go on. Banning live exports is a populist view IMO that just sweeps the real issue under the carpet. I guess the other alternative is to get other beef exporters on side and ban live exports to Indonesia from anywhere in the world, big ask though. Interesting that there is a global ban on whaling (except for the Jap 'scientific research') but the world allows this to continue.

I really can not understand the cruelty as it directly affects the quality.

that was another point i thought about - but wasn't major in the equation.

a stressed animal produces tough meat due to the adrenaline in it's bloodstream. the meat from those awfully stressed animals would be like eating leather.

will not eat meat till assured this trade stops

Considering the four corners report I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the live cattle trade to Indonesia yet. I'll be back this evening to see what you all think.

thankyou for all mentioning this. I found this report so distressing and have been haunted by that poor animal at the end. I felt so unsure how to register my outrage so thanks for this thread. I was a big meat eater but can not eat it again after seeing this. I do not have a problem eating meat if the animal is treated properly and then killed in a humane way. I rang the meat and livestock corp. to tell them they need to stop this trade. I work as a school teacher and some of the kids were talking about it and were very angry that we send live exports. I have so much admiration for Lyn White who has dedicated her life to exposing some of these awful trade situations. Thankyou Lyn. I hope this does not go away as an issue until something is done. I can see from this thread that we are all, as Australians, just asking for the creatures to be treated humanely. I am proud of that and I don't think it is being precious just because we are a wealthy country. We are also a country of pretty decent people and what four corners showed was utterly and completely indecent. It must stop. The ag. minister was pathetic in his response and I hope he chokes on his next steak.

In Australian abbatoirs, the beast has an explosive bolt straight into the brain, in an enclosed cubical whense the cattle behind can't see what's happening.

I didn't see the programme and don't want to see it either after hearing some comments on it here and on the TV this morning.

This comment (quoted) reminded me of my father when he visited a slaughter house for cattle when his company was involved in exporting meat, saying that he had real difficulty watching them being hit in the brain, that their eyes were terrified, and that in his opinion... they knew what was coming. The may not see what is happening, but he said it was "the vibe" in the place.

I would happily join in any protest, but as was said in another post, it just moves the problem elsewhere. I kind of feel helpless in this sort of thing.

Muslims would not consider the killings in the recordings "halal". I think the whole purpose of "halal" killings is for it to be as quick and painless as possible for the animal. They are supposed to slit the throat in one swift motion with a very sharp knife, but in the videos the animals were being cut with blunt knives up to twenty times.

I am so ashamed that Australians were behind the invention of those metal boxes. Watching the cattle beat their heads into the concrete was just disgusting! I know this probably sounds stupid but I didn't actually realise the cattle would know what was going on if they could see other cattle being slaughtered. The last scene showing the steer trembling after it had watching the other cattle being slaughtered was just heartbreaking.

That 4 corners show was truely repugnant. What happens to those cattle is an embarrasment to me and Australia.

This muslem way of killing animals shouldn't involve all the rest of the cruelty what goes on. Can't the cattle be stunned first and then hung up and have their throats cut, unconsious, while facing muhammad or Mecca or whatever it is that they do?

Different societies have different views about cruelty. It's why Aussie diggers after wars were finished and their horses couldn't be bought home with them, would rather shoot their own horses, rather then let them live and let the locals get hold of them.

See ya's.

Back