Looking for rental in Canberra

Yes. I know the market is tight. Hubby's eldest has just got a Federal Gvmt job (so at least our taxes go to someone we know!) and has to move there in 3 weeks time.

The department will give her a furnished appartment for the first 3 weeks while they are looking - but - she also has two very placid house cats. We all know that in a tight market pets can be a problem.

Her and her partner are very quiet computer geeks - so no wild parties. No kids and no intention of kids for at least another 10 years.

The job is at Tuggeranong and (much to her fathers' exasperation) she doesn't drive - so needs somewhere either in Tuggeranong or on a commuting link to such.

Looking around $380-400/wk

Can anyone help? She is willing to pay extra for the cats.

Yes. I know the market is tight. Hubby's eldest has just got a Federal Gvmt job (so at least our taxes go to someone we know!) and has to move there in 3 weeks time.

The department will give her a furnished appartment for the first 3 weeks while they are looking - but - she also has two very placid house cats. We all know that in a tight market pets can be a problem.

Her and her partner are very quiet computer geeks - so no wild parties. No kids and no intention of kids for at least another 10 years.

The job is at Tuggeranong and (much to her fathers' exasperation) she doesn't drive - so needs somewhere either in Tuggeranong or on a commuting link to such.

Looking around $380-400/wk

Can anyone help? She is willing to pay extra for the cats.

She can look up Allhomes.com.au. It seems she will have to increase the price she is prepared to pay to at least $450 and starting at 2 bedrooms. The Centrelink office is in Greenway. If she does not drive, she may need to invest in a bicycle as Canberra is a cycle friendly city with many cycle paths.

I wish I had of seen this a few days ago! We just rented out one on Monday in a nice area of town - well, it's all nice in Canberra :)

As Francesco pointed out, www.allhomes.com.au is the website that all Canberran's use for buying/renting.

Feel free to shoot me an email/PM if you have an specific questions about particular areas, etc.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks - scoured allhomes last night and found two that I emailed to her to contact. Out of 10 pages around Tuggeranong there was only one that said would consider pets ... the majority were "no pets".

Does anyone in Canberra want two very friendly, house cats?

I have a sister in law and her family in Canberra, so they gave us the heads up on allhomes and advice about the Tuggeranong region. Basically avoid Kambah, but anywhere else in the area, near a main road, will have buses going to Tuggeranong centre.

Kambah has a bad rep, but it isn't really all that bad (I really don't know of many places in canberra that are actually "bad" - it just depends on the side of the street you live on). Also as someone who only got her liscence recently (about 1.5yrs ago), I can say that so long as she doesn't have a pram to lug around, the bus system is reasonable and every suburb should have regular services running through it. Check out the Action buslines website for buslines.

The other thing is that alot of properties will say 'no pets' but are actually negotiatable if you can get in touch with the landlord - the PM's here seem to encourage the 'no pets' stance, because it is easier for them IMHO.

Kambah is fine. I'm sure it has dodgy pockets, but overall not a bad suburb.

Personally I would avoid parts of Richardson and Chisholm.

Monash is quite nice and depending on which side, could be within walking distance to work.

I have been living in Kambah for over 5 years, and honestly dont have anything bad to say about the area...but then again Kambah is like 4x bigger any other suburb in Canberra...

Avoid Calwell near the shops.
Kambah has good and bad bits - but at one stage it was also the largest suburb in the southern hemisphere so you're going to get that.

Unfortunately our place is rented until April - have a lovely IT guy in there now with two cats.

We'll be similar in a few weeks - moving back and looking for somewhere to rent with a dog. Although we're looking more Inner South, North Canberra or eastern Belco (or Woden at a stretch). Funny thing is that rents in Tuggers are in a lot of areas just as high as the rest of Canberra.

Also tell her to get a bike and a copy of the Canberra bikeways map. It's got to be the most bike friendly town in Australia, and all the govt departments are required to have facilities (showers, lock up etc). Not very many hills unless you specifically seek them out as Canberra was built in valleys with the hills left as green passages (get a mountain bike and she'll make a lot of friends easily).

Avoid Calwell near the shops.

Mooze - have you seen this area lately? There's been a couple of fancy townhouse developments.

Kambah is fine. You can walk your dog in your slippers while drinking a stubbie and no one will look twice ;) Just jokes - Kambah is nice and central and is not as bad as it's made out to be. It's quite close to Tuggeranong as well so they'll have no worries with the commute - could even ride to work quite easily.

I really don't think there's any "bad" burbs in Canberra. Richo, Chisolm and Charnwood probably get the worst rap but even there not that bad - not compared to the "bad" areas of other cities.

Cheers

Jamie

We've been in Isabella Plains for a couple of years now and are happy with the area.

Any suburb around Tuggeranong, or near the main bus hubs would make it easy to get to work (Wodan Westfield or Civic)

Goodluck to her, finding a rental isn't fun in Canberra.

Back