Lucky

Had someone visit yesterday who wanted to see the house.

Lost count of how many times they said 'lucky'.

Oooh, this is a nice house, you're so lucky!

Its not a big block but you've got it laid out really well, that's so lucky!

What a lovely hedge you have growing there, you're so lucky!

#$^%#$^& :mad:

We've been through every layer of paperwork there is, we had to pick every damn colour and finish in the house, we chose how big the block is and where the house went and I planted my own hedge!

Where's the luck?!?!

I do agree with her we're lucky we have nice neighbours (both of our neighbours are her friends, not a big coincidence given the size of the community here), but we've been living here 3 years so we kinda knew they were nice before we went from living 20m away from them to living 3m away from them ... if we didn't like them we wouldn't have moved closer!

i prefer to think of myself as blessed than lucky.

I get irked when people call me lucky for something i worked hard for too. Especially those who have known me, seen the time put into research, the debt stress over years, the rennos done on annual leave time, and they still call it luck.

Try to be gentle on them

Yeah I mean some people are very lucky though but in the way that although they have tried and worked very hard , it is still actually lucky that things did work out for them. Some people do all that and more but things still f' up and they get nowhere.
Life does require a degree of luck I reckon no matter what you do, anyone very successful will tell you the hard works one thing but a degree of luck when you need it is also another .
But eh Rump e , nice to have someone thinking that your lucky to have the things you have whatever the case don't you think.

They've all been saying that about us lately but it has been a slog and a 1/2 none the less but still,I'll take any envy that comes my way - bout time :D

Cheers

I guess we are lucky ... we have the brains, the ability and the passion to create our own luck. And the foresight to use them all.

Many are not so blessed.

The harder I work the luckier I get ...

Yeah true enough Lizzie many don't. Not everyone can or is cut out for thinking past 9 to 5 and just one house. I do reckon we are lucky we can do that .

I actually have a bit of a theory about luck - yes I know here we go :cool:
Na really , working hard on goals however you go about it can seem like it's never gonna end but I reckon , stick at it and sooner or later you do accumulate a bit of a lucky run at some point and if it's really with you , it'll come in when you need it. Happened to us earlier this yr thank God or we wouldn't be here. But it followed 3 yrs of absolute garbage and hard yakka.

Don't mind me , I have theories on everything :D

One of my sisters always talks about how "lucky" I am. (I am lucky to have my uni degrees, I am lucky to be married to a great man, I am lucky to have a PPOR, I am lucky to have an IP, I am lucky to be a SAHM, etc). It bugs me too. I tell her "Yes, I am lucky. I make my own luck, and work damn hard to make sure it's good."

Wow, you own more than one house?? You're so lucky :D

They think you are lucky or rich as you saved for a deposit for a house or two.... :) The only luck with mine is that my first home was purchased before the FHOG was halved. The flip side is that I was unlucky to buy at a time when the market has not progressed much! There is no luck though in researching or working hard.

steve mc knight talks about this alot apparently that luck has nothing to do with it its all hard work, perseverance, planning, etc. it bothered him alot too when people would say that.

Yeah - I'm sure I'll be lucky in a year or so when my new business has taken off and I'm making some money.

They just won't see how many weeks I spent racing to keep in front of the recycling truck, with my gloves on and bum in the air, fossicking thru peoples rubbish for certain items ... then the numerous days spent cleaning and delabelling 100kg of said items in my "peg on the nose" laundry.

Or the day after week after month spent emailing and phoning trying to find a manufacturer to do one of the process steps for me.

Or the weeks spent in the shed covered in MDF dust knocking up dodgy prototypes of our product range.

Or the vast amounts of cash spent on industrial designers to get the CAD plans drawn for computer routing.

Just like I was lucky in our early days spending every Friday and Saturday night up a long ladder painting ornate ceilings or belt sanding the externals of an entire weatherboard house etc.

I am lucky - I'm also really tired ...

I think of blessed and lucky to describe myself sometimes.

I really wish it was all skill an responsibility... but I would be blatantly lying

The most uncomfroortable thing qabout the above is how obviously alone I am

Had someone visit yesterday who wanted to see the house.

Lost count of how many times they said 'lucky'.

Oooh, this is a nice house, you're so lucky!

Its not a big block but you've got it laid out really well, that's so lucky!

What a lovely hedge you have growing there, you're so lucky!

#$^%#$^& :mad:

We've been through every layer of paperwork there is, we had to pick every damn colour and finish in the house, we chose how big the block is and where the house went and I planted my own hedge!

Where's the luck?!?!

I do agree with her we're lucky we have nice neighbours (both of our neighbours are her friends, not a big coincidence given the size of the community here), but we've been living here 3 years so we kinda knew they were nice before we went from living 20m away from them to living 3m away from them ... if we didn't like them we wouldn't have moved closer!

What a frightful lack of perspective you have.

My big stroke of luck was to be born in Australia - my parents emigrated so I can take no credit for that.

Everything else has been as a result of hard work.
Marg

My big stroke of luck was to be born in Australia - my parents emigrated so I can take no credit for that.

Everything else has been as a result of hard work.
Marg

Even not getting struck with a rare disease which requires you to be under constant care or the million of other things that could have happened to us... is that the result of our hard work too ?

yeah, but no-one was telling the OP that she was 'lucky' because she was Aussie or had her health. They were saying she was lucky for things she had direct control over.

Even not getting struck with a rare disease which requires you to be under constant care or the million of other things that could have happened to us... is that the result of our hard work too ?

Granted - health can be the luck of the draw ... but many times it can also be a case of taking responsibility for your own health.

However, we were discussing how often we are labelled as "lucky" when it was sheer determination and hard yakker that made us so ... such as RE's house, that came about after several years of darned hard, back breaking work, some frugal money decisions, perseverance and a couple of babies thrown in the mix.

Back