Mandurah Perth

First time investor's, we have been talking to an investment agent who is showing us properties in Mandurah Junction. We live in Port Hedland so don't know the area. Do you think its a good place to build an investment?

properties are cheap but you'd want something under market to make it work.

there are better places to invest than mandurah in pretty much the entire country.

properties are cheap but you'd want something under market to make it work.

there are better places to invest than mandurah in pretty much the entire country.

Investment agent? You mean sales agent.

My money is on someone is trying to sell you brand new developed stock in an 'high growth' area, you will have great depreciation beneifts as its brand new.

So is Mandurah the retirement village of Perth then?

I know many retired & current WA farmers who live/holiday in Mandurah.

After wheat harvest around Christmas it's loaded with people from the farming communities east of the hills.

As far as I see, Mandurah has always been the holiday spot/weekender for Perth locals and these farmers from further out.

With the only other decent bit of waterway aside from the Swan River to boat in, and proximity to Perth ever reducing in travel time, I would have thought it will soon be a suburb of the "big smoke" in WA...?

Bit like Central Coast and Woolongong either side of Sydney maybe?

You said yourself that Sydney is landlocked.

Perth is too by the way it has spread north and south and not gone beyond the hills by much

Fence:
I liken Mandurah moreso to Gold Coast than the towns you mention
Theres no gap now between Perth metro and Mandurah
Yea Perth landlocks to the east by hills, north and south is basically unlimited though

Fence:
I liken Mandurah moreso to Gold Coast than the towns you mention
Theres no gap now between Perth metro and Mandurah
Yea Perth landlocks to the east by hills, north and south is basically unlimited though

Gee, I was there just last November and stayed in Dawesville and travelled to Perth daily for a few days, there was alot of "land" not built upon...or was I dreaming?

Sydney is also unlimited north and south.
Hawkesbury River, fair enough, but Syd harbour divided Syd till the bridge went in. ;)

Central Coast is already being refered to as nothern Sydney and thousands have been commuting for decades.

It'll catch on over there.....;)

Gold Coast comparison is ridiculous IMHO.

First time investor's, we have been talking to an investment agent who is showing us properties in Mandurah Junction. We live in Port Hedland so don't know the area. Do you think its a good place to build an investment?

It's an area with more risk than the metropolitan area but it does depend on what you are being shown and your strategy that you wish to use.

the market has derisked it already tho by discounting the price. prices have been moving up solidly but still good buying IMO.

what on earth is Mandurah junction?? around the train station is it?

Mandurah Junction v Central Park Mandurah

Mandurah Junction is the Landcorp development surrounding the train station. It's kind of nestled in a low rent part of Mandurah (fibro homes, lower socio-demographic). They have done a half decent job creating a new estate but apart from the train there aren't many amenities walking distance.

Central Park Mandurah might be of interest. It is a new development on the eastern side of the railway - still in the walkable catchment of the train station. A Masters Hardware, Woolworths has just been announced and I believe house and land packages are on offer soon from $299k (According the the sign that is up on Mandurah Road).

Has anyone researched or been able to understand the R100 zoning strip between the train station and central Mandurah? (See - http://www.mandurah.wa.gov.au/HBItem_630778.PDF)

From what I can understand off the council website, buildings have to be minimum 3 maximum 5 storeys high with a mix of commercial & residential? So would you have office/shops on the ground floor and apartments above, like around Joondalup?

Then I read elsewhere about R60 on a case by case with the Mandurah City Council. What would be the benefit of this?

The planning documents on the Mandurah City Council website are quite comprehensive, when compared to other councils I have looked at and it's almost the case of being information overlaod, rather than lack of information.

There is perhaps some potential close by (walking distance) to the train station and then again not.

But I might also be completely off the mark? :confused:

Cheers,

Wrexy...

Wrexy,

Do you have a specific query that I might be able to address without spending hours going through the council docs and R codes?

I drive down Allnut Street (between the station and the town centre) weekly.

Landowners haven't quite bitten off the opportunity to develop these larger lots here yet, probably due to the considerable costs and risks of multiple Dwelling Development, and uncertain market demand for this product. There are couple of sites that have been on the market for a while.

Mandurah definitely has the single detached house mentality. Selling 1 or 2 bed units is a bit of a stretch when a house and land can be had from around $300k.

That said, Access Housing (Affordable Housing Provider) has both finished and currently building low rise unit developments on Allnut Street for their rent roll so it works for them.

I don't see 10% rise, what area/pocket, price point?

I think when selling still price sensitive as there is still too much stock on the market. Plenty of choices.

central Mandurah - got agents chasing stock. $300k units have jumped to mid 3's. It's very bullish.

I think it's just the natural spill over form Perth's high prices and a correction of the gfc over sell

Back