Meet up at Tony Robbins?

G'day all,

In another post, GeoffW said he's going to Tony's seminar this weekend. I went a few years ago and found it to be absolutely transformational. I came out so motivated I knew I could walk through fire and slay dragons at the other end. It also helps clean out a huge amount of mental crap that might have accumulated over the years - "I can't tations" and self-sabotage, for example.

Although I won't be there, a few other forumites might be - I'll leave it up to you guys to discuss where and when you might want to catch up. A chance to discuss Robbins and property with like-minded people? Priceless!

Just a thought...

Cheers

IMHO if you want to catch up, make sure you do it prior to registration on Friday because you wont get a chance afterwards unless you are able to function on little to no sleep.
Tony Robbins is fantastic but he is a money making machine and you will be offerred a time to catch up with one of his trainers and cement everything you have learnt over the weekend, but what they are really doing is getting you hyped up again so they can sell you his other courses which are thousands more than what you've paid for the weekend. Those trainers who don't meet their quota won't be a paid trainer for long. Of course you can always volunteer to be a trainer and travel around the world at your own expense including the expense of learning to be a trainer in the first place.
Have fun because "life will never be the same".

ck

Tony Robbins - London Oct 15th - 18th

I will be at the Tony Robbins convention in London 15th - 18th.

Everything about his operation is slick and OTT

I look forward to the experience.

Leaving my cheque book , credit card and jewelerry at home with the good wife - just in case I get carried away by the hype and lose the socks as well as the shirt :rolleyes:

I know there is the hard sell- MrsW let me know last year.

I'd like to say she's not a sucker for hype- but I did get the tickets for myself for this year.

The advice on credit cards, jewellery, and oldest child is good.

ren-A said:
I went a few years ago and found it to be absolutely transformational. I came out so motivated I knew I could walk through fire and slay dragons at the other end. It also helps clean out a huge amount of mental crap that might have accumulated over the years - "I can't tations" and self-sabotage, for example.
This is not the post I was expecting to make.

I'm back in the Motel on the forum when the rest of the attendees are walking on hot coals.

I'm not knocking anything Tony says, or his methods.

I'm still going to the rest of the weekend, and hope to continue learning.

But I could not get myself into the emotional state required. I was getting there, I could see where he was going, and why. He's about providing tools (many of them emotional) for helping people to help provide for themselves. Many of them I would describe as ways for you to "trick" your mind into better ways of thinking.

But there was just that one point where people were yelling, and getting involved- and I just thought Nurenburg, 1936, Hitler- and I just got completely turned off. It bwas an illogical reaction, I know- I've seen the benefit from people who have been through it, and I know it's about controlling yourself, not having somebody control you. But I just couldn't go there.

I don't let my emotions out often (well, except when I'm angry- ask my teenage daughter)- and find it hard to express much more than words.

From looking around, I was in a very small minority. Probably 99.5% were getting very involved- and probably getting heaps more value out of it than me. So 3980 people are going to come out on a real high.

MrsW went last year, and did find it extremely worth while- but she is a very emotionally expressive person.

And I went in with my eyes open. But probably just with my emotions shut.

geoffw said:
This is not the post I was expecting to make.

I'm back in the Motel on the forum when the rest of the attendees are walking on hot coals.
If I had to pick anyone to walk over coals to get to the forum it would have been you Geoff. Maybe next time? ;)

WaySolid.

4000 x 1000+ = ? I'd walk over water for that

WaySolid said:
If I had to pick anyone to walk over coals to get to the forum it would have been you Geoff. Maybe next time? ;)
Thanks WS.

In one way I've overcome a lot of hurdles just to get where I am now. I've faced real life demons and overcome. I'm not anywhere near where I know I'm going to be- but I'm far ahead of where I was four years ago, way ahead of anywhere I expected to be.

And I'm not doing anything for "the forum"- anything I do is for me- but I'm quite willing to share anything, if it can be of use to anybody.

I dont usually contribute to this forum i occasionally like to sit and read.
but on this occasion geoffw. i applaud your honesty.
Dom

From my reading and listening to Tony Robbins, I feel that he comes through strongly on the "You control how you feel, react" "You control your actions". I dont think Robbins and Hitler have much in common except the ability to communicate to a crowd and create a change of state, but then again I havent been to a Robbins seminar even once!

The big eye opener for me and what I learnt from him was just how close the link was/is between our physical state and our mental state. I attend tennis lessons, I was interested in one of the students, he was/is a guy, but his entire physical display is that of a well a great homosexual effiminate, it is interesting because I just cannot explan it I never speak to him but there it is he plays tennis like a effiminate queen. That is his whole being mental and physical being is exposed/displayed in the act of hitting a tennis ball. The link between physical and mental is very close!

Certainly interesting the idea that is it a "trick" or just allowing yourself to display another side of your personality which was already there but not used.

To be honest I love the self-improvement, motivational stuff, but in the end it all comes down to taking action, displined action over a long period of time and not to being distracted by the potholes and side-roads on the way.

More views

geoffw said:
Thanks WS.

In one way I've overcome a lot of hurdles just to get where I am now. I've faced real life demons and overcome. I'm not anywhere near where I know I'm going to be- but I'm far ahead of where I was four years ago, way ahead of anywhere I expected to be.

And I'm not doing anything for "the forum"- anything I do is for me- but I'm quite willing to share anything, if it can be of use to anybody.
Geoff,

I'm intrigued by the guy, I admire his money printing machines and his obvious charisma. I had him pigeonholed as a TV evangelist raking in the cash from his disciples.

But in the interests of challenging my views and after having read all the posts on him I will go along and see him live next chance I get, I've listened to his tapes and read his books and they really haven't changed my life. But maybe in person? Do I really have to hug strangers though?? (nts.. Sit next to
a good looking girl)

Some more thoughts on AR.
http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13025

WaySolid

always_learning said:
I dont think Robbins and Hitler have much in common except the ability to communicate to a crowd and create a change of state, but then again I havent been to a Robbins seminar even once!
That's right. But there was just something in me which didn't quite accept the surrendering of reason to emotion- the way that people have done for some other very charismatic people.

geoffw said:
That's right. But there was just something in me which didn't quite accept the surrendering of reason to emotion- the way that people have done for some other very charismatic people.

I'm with you Geoff. Went to a freebie thing done by one of Robbins' chief trainers back in June.

Was the only seminar that I walked out early.

Group shouting and chanting YES YES YES was the last straw for me.

What gurus call 'hurdles', 'inhibitions', 'limiting beliefs' equates to my 'reasoning', 'BS detector', 'due diligence', etc.

And I sacrifice the latter for no one, no matter how successful they apparently are.

Challenging existing beliefs is extremely valuable, but I'm sure this can be done in other ways. Eg setting down your investment strategy on paper and working out what it relies on to work, examining risks to it, etc, as well as reading widely about other peoples strategies, identifying their underpinning assumptions and examining if theirs has anything to offer yours.

Regards, Peter

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but does anyone else find it ironic and morally unjust that a success coach like Tony Robbins can charge copious amounts of money to galavant around the globe preaching about how to be an ethical human being and live a prosperous life, yet he allegedly divorced his wife and has apparently since travelled with a throng of "female companions" from seminar to seminar ?

I am not privvy to the divorce circumstances, but I would rather pay money listening to someone who has the experience and guidance on what it takes to keep a life long relationship together.

I can definately see how some of what he has to say could be beneficial, and I have friends who credit him with turning their lives around, but to me the whole premise of his pitch is on fairly shaky foundations.

I am of the belief that motivation and the drive for success largely comes from within.

"If it is to be, it's up to me."

Criticism welcomed (and expected from the Tony Robbins die hards :))

Interesting

Tandella,

I never knew that, I remember reading about the loving relationship he had with his wife in his books.

I'm very uncomfortable with somebody selling personal success on it's own and not their own journey of success, I enjoy listening to someone who has walked the walk and can then draw my own lessons from their experience. To me AR is very much a catch 22. If you take away his "success industry" what do you have left? Someone who's tall and charismatic and owns a swag of islands, but....

I agree with Peter Spann's take on seminars, and the value each individual can get out of them.

It wasn't that long ago that there was some debate about the cost Steve McKnight was charging for his next seminar.

Now we are quick to jump on someone selling investments or education if they appear to be making a motza, and nobody even comes close to the bullion AR brings in. Perhaps the trick is just to teach life changing skills, rather than something thats more specifically related to making money.

A quick anecdote about AR: I saw AR with a beautiful lady at a salad bar on the coast last year (hard to mistake him). He was having an argument with this girl (involving a lot of swearing) before he got up and stormed off. Thats the only time I've seen him in real life, hardly inspiring so far.

These are my biases surfacing again, we all have them in life. I still intend to go and see him "in concert" at least once.

WaySolid

WaySolid,

If I'm not mistaken, there was a rumour going around during the late 90s - that he had divorced or was going to divorce his wife (Becky I think was her name ?), but it was just a hoax.

However, I'm led to believe that he did actually end up divorcing his wife either this year or last year. I remember reading / seeing something about it in the press at the time. A quick Google search should confirm or deny though :)

Tony Robbins or Anthony Robbins. Which ever you prefer.

If I can add my 2 cents worth ... I have his tapes and book and when I need a little boost I usually throw a tape in the player. It helps me put things in perspective again.

I can imagine having a tough time trying to mainting the high level of energy that is created from one of his seminars but then again I have never been and only imagining. :)

Tandella said:
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but does anyone else find it ironic and morally unjust that a success coach like Tony Robbins can charge copious amounts of money to galavant around the globe preaching about how to be an ethical human being and live a prosperous life, yet he allegedly divorced his wife and has apparently since travelled with a throng of "female companions" from seminar to seminar ?

I am not privvy to the divorce circumstances, but I would rather pay money listening to someone who has the experience and guidance on what it takes to keep a life long relationship together.
He's quite open in his seminar on the divorce. He married a lady 12 years his senior with a ready made family- but, (in his version) found that, eventually, he wanted to go on making a difference to the world, and she wanted to stay at home with him. He eventually decided that the two desires were incompatible.

He has since married again- I'm not sure if there has been a child by this second wife.

But men with power always seem to attract women sexually.

Back