Meet up at Tony Robbins?

geoffw said:
I went in with my eyes open. But probably just with my emotions shut.
I got much better value today.

I started badly- a bad sleep, no hot water in the shower in the motel- and everybody else on a real high after their fire walk.

But today was much more just dealing with practical psychology- appealing to the mind without needing the emotions to take over. I learnt heaps, and I'm much happier about going along.

Some of the lessons were very practical, very useful- and potentially quite powerful.

Tonight I have taken a few small steps towards making some changes in myself for the better as a result.

WaySolid said:
Do I really have to hug strangers though?? (nts.. Sit next to a good looking girl)
Not only hug- but massage strangers and get massaged by them (it is a very common seminar technique). And then you do practical exercises with people- often strangers again- in which you see a lot into the inner person of that stranger, and they see a lot in you.

I may have turned a lot of people off by my emotion comments. But I'll make it up to his sales team now.

Probably the biggest group would be the 25-40 year olds. Other groups were well represented, but the 25-40 yo were dominant. Probably many of those were there because of failed relationships. And Tony asks people who are in relationships to put up their hands- so you could pick the singles quite easily :D

Another well represented demographic was the business owners- about 75% put up their hands as owning a business (this COULD be because a business may be better able to afford the seminar- or able to claim it back under tax).

geoffw said:
But men with power always seem to attract women sexually.

Always ? Politicians would include men in power, but none of their partners strike me as being sexual (aside perhaps from Marilyn Monroe) :)

Been doing some digging (wanted to know for sure that he did actually get divorced) and even one of his forums confirms that it happened :
http://tony-robbins.inspiresyou.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

Sadly, divorce does occur, but I still can't swallow how a guy who decided to walk out on a marriage can preach about success.

Nonetheless, it sounds like you are finding the seminar beneficial and worthwhile geoff ?

Tandella said:
Always ? Politicians would include men in power, but none of their partners strike me as being sexual (aside perhaps from Marilyn Monroe) :)
Men with power seem to attract woemn sexually. That doesn't necessarily mean they're sexually attractive women- and it doesn't necessarily mean that the man takes advantage of the situation- but the temptations must be stronger.
Tandella said:
Sadly, divorce does occur, but I still can't swallow how a guy who decided to walk out on a marriage can preach about success.
Divorce, like religion and politics, can raise a huge range of opinions.

People change. And people are human. They grow, change, and make mistakes.

He gave one 10 second recipe for good sex- that alone should be worth the cost of the seminar :D. (Unfortunately MrsW is O/S at the moment).

But he's teaching a huge amount of useful stuff- one shuld not let the man's faults get in the way of his ideas.

Tandella said:

You seem to have a remarkable insight into his divorce. How do you know he "decided to walk out" on his marriage?

I am not against motivational speakers per se. I have gained a lot from Zig Ziglar tapes, and others around in the 70s. I am more comfortable with them when they deliver their message with a high dose of morality and win/win outcomes. I am not comfortable trying to make a lot of money without considering the consequences of doing so. i.e. i could not telemarket a product no matter how good it is due to my belief that cold canvassing and telemarketing are gross invasions of privacy.

Even though i am not a church going christian, I respect the bulk of christian morality. I remember one of the most powerful unshacklings I had was reading a book by a christian called Katherine Ponder, called the dynamic laws of prosperity. In this she totally turned upside down the general christian view that wealth is something one shouldn't aspire to have.

Katherine's perspective was that God owns everything in the universe, and that if you are living in harmony with God's laws, life's laws, then you should very well expect to be wealthier then if not. She made it clear to me that the christian god was a loving god that wanted only happiness and growth for me. And that it was a divine right to expect wealth and success in the world when living to god's laws. THis seemed so naturally right to me, and changed my perspective about christians having to be humble and meek and poor.

She also believed christians weren't meant to be humble in the world, and let others walk on them. rather the correct interpretation was to remain humble before god and positive before the world.

Anyway, sorry if this is over the top or off topic for those firmly against religion. However, we are in a society that has evolved successfully due to the ethical base of christianity, and i have no problems acknowledging this, rather then taking the fashionably intellectually elite line of bagging anything religious.

Futher, i cannot separate ethics and wealth creation. wealth creation without ethics is meaningless to me.

As for the Anthony Robbins of the world, I have seen him on tv only. He seems to have a generally positive message, but after the seminar, he is out of your life. What is he really like to live with and as a friend????? i have seen ppl hurt and helped when one attempts to break beliefs down by promising the world in such seminars. One woman I knew left her kids and husband and blew all her money on a business idea after an EST deprogramming in the 80s.

I think when giving seminars, and you are dealing with a large audience, it pays to remember that there are some borderline fragile egos out there wanting to change, wanting to hear they can let go of the stuff that has bound them up. it is a powerful message, but one that can potentially approve of irresponsibly letting go.....

Further, these seminars often use and accredit success to the freeing up of emotional energy and unblocking negative self images......
I would argue that if someone came along and gave seminars based on a rational approach to problem solving, due diligence etc, that students would probably have more success then the students of Anthony Robbins, and more consistently.

The trouble is as humans, we like to believe in magic and not having to work hard for success. Many of us also don't have the intellectual stamina or discipline to do due diligence methodically. It is a lot easier to believe that if i smile a lot and say affirmations that things will go my way.

further, there is so much negative talk in broader society. no wonder so many of us feel repressed and lacking confidence. anyone who comes along and has a can do positive attitude and genuinely wants to see us get ahead is going to be a shining light for most of us.... a favourite term i heard from a motivator is "what is even a greater wealth creator then leverage is loverage" .... everyone wants love. when you put love of self and others into business, I don't think you can hold success back.

another favourite saying: "luck favours the man of action".
which is why I think a lot of ppl have success after these seminars. you are more likely to change something about yourself, and get out there and do things to make money after seminar then before. if action favours lucky outcomes, then more often then not, one will find success. another point, do ppl who have nothing happen or negative stuff after seminars make a point of coming forth and telling all and sundry???? not likely....hence the reason we generally only hear about the upside.....

how great would be the rewards if one was to combine action, disciplined methodology, and staying attuned to one's inner wisdom and ethics, when chasing wealth!!!

one of Zig Ziglar's quotes I think is pertinent:
"Action often precedes the feeling."

when you can't get the vibe on how to create wealth then action sometimes opens the doors...

"Every choice you make has an end result."
making no choice is a choice...

"if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you've got"....

Last edited:
duncan_m said:
You seem to have a remarkable insight into his divorce.

Hardly. Just did a few web searches to satisfy my own curiousity and the common theme seems to be that he decided to end his marriage as he was unable to resolve his differences with his ex. This also seems to support what Geoff posted above on this same thread.

Can you show me anything to the contrary ?

For alot of people, knowledge of his divorce has not stopped them from learning and applying his ideologies, and most would claim that they are better people for it. But it was too big an issue for me to ignore, as I found it difficult to relate to him.

However, I am all for the notion of challenging our own beliefs and there have certainly been other (less popular ?) success coaches who have made a difference in my life - some of which are right here in our own back yard.

Like the posts with actual info

Geoff,

Thanks for the posts about your AR experience.

Why so shy with the secret/s though?

WaySolid

Good on you geoffw!!

How many trainers came to assist or help you through your challenges, none I'll bet. And that's the disappointing part!!

It's a shame you didn't get to do the fire walk because it is an amazing experience. I have done it twice in Sydney, approx 12ft and in Hawaii it was approx the length of a cricket pitch.

The UPW's I have personally had experience with are advertised from Friday night until Monday but Monday turns out to be Tony on video talking about diet and how he takes wheatgrass juice which you can purchase through his multi level marketing business.

One year we volunteered our time and flew to Sydney at our expense to help "staff" the event and Tony did not even personally spend any time with the 100 or so volunteers.

My first encounter with Peter Spann was at a Tony Robbins investment seminar in Sydney and again Tony Robbins was not even in the country.

IMHO I think if he could have picked his career it would have been as a rock star and this is the closest he can get.

Cheers

ck

"christian morality"

With what has occured in the history of christianity in particular and religion in general Id say the above is pretty much an oxymoron. From the beginning up to recent atrocities in 'christian child homes' which seem to be more the rule than the exception.

As for TR his motto should be 'show me the money' but i still dont see the connection between divorce and success and/or morality. If you follow that logic a huge percentage of the population (and a few of this forum) would be branded likewise, even tho they dont galavant around the world 'inspiring ' people for large sums of money.

While im on the subject i remember seeing a 'success' seminar/package on the net recently, (cant remember the name cause i didnt hang around), they were calling their cd/book/tape thing 'wealth in a box'.

I truly laughed out loud. If anyone thinks they can get rich and pay quite few grand for 'wealth in a box' they deserve everything they get.

The weekend has finished, and it was a very valuable one, though in different ways than I expected.

First of all, to clear up any misconceptions. Despite any impressions given, the weekend is NOT about getting out of your mind state and becoming followers of a guru. It’s not about following a person. And it’s not a “Power of Positive Thinking” approach, nor merely a “get wound up for the weekend”. It’s about creating a toolbox for oneself- ways of helping in all sorts of ways- getting rid of mindsets which hold us back, providing ways of building rapport with people (including techniques for use in a singles bar!), and ways to read other peoples’ reactions- a toolbox which is intended to have a lasting impression.

Most of the time, it’s just talking- punctuated by regular breaks where people get up, jump about, massage the back of the person next to them and so on. These are very effective ways of keeping people alive and interested. It does get a bit rah rah, but that becomes quite normal when you get over your own reserve.

But some of the techniques he uses do involve a lot more emotion- but are techniques used to reach inside, to help fix things which are genuinely wrong.

I was going well, learning a lot. But there came one session where you were asked to release a lot of emotion- and it was something I found impossible to do, especially with all the noises around. For the vast majority of the people around me, this appeared to be something very effective for them. When everybody was coming back to a normal state, I decided that I really couldn’t do this any more- to stay there would be pulling back those people who were in there.

I did have somebody who had a talk with me, and convinced me to give it another go. I went back inside for a brief time, but still couldn’t come to terms with it- so I went out to the car park, and paid for my parking, ready to drive back to Canberra. I changed my mind again, deciding that I did not want to leave on a low, and so went to ask to talk to somebody. I had one of their people talk to me for a little bit- especially in regard to one behaviour which could be especially destructive. The counsellor talked to me for ten minutes, and it didn’t seem to be helping much- but then she changed tactic. She showed me a brief technique- but touching my hands as she demonstrated it. As much as it might sound like a cliché, it was a revelation- a very simple technique, and, for me, something which I feel I can use effectively.

The rest of the evening was much more emotionally calm, adding to the toolset- though a three hour drive back to Canberra at 10PM after a weekend like that took a bit of doing.

My conclusion?

I received my value for money, well and truly. Even if that one single lesson helps me, it will have been worth it all.

The open expressions of enthusiasm can be difficult for some- but they do have a purpose. He states at the start that participating can help improve retention.

It may not be for all- but, judging from the reactions of most people around, it was a valuable experience.

(The selling of the more expensive products was very low key, it was very much towards the end, and you were given warning that it was coming. No need to lock up the credit cards imho.)

WaySolid said:
Geoff,

Thanks for the posts about your AR experience.

Why so shy with the secret/s though?

WaySolid
I've spent $1500 and a full on weekend learning everything which was on offer- and you just want the juicy bits? (I didn't even mention the bits on how to make yourself attractive to the other gender :D ).

Geoff

Aren't you a believer that to take you first have to give? :D

I make my "summary posts" on all the events I attend gladly for the members of Somersoft.

First it's a way of reviewing my initial notes so that I clarify things in my own mind.

Second I believe that an "abundance mentality" is very important. As Jim Rohn says "Give out so that you can receive more"

Cliches aside - I really want to know the singles secrets AR espouses (PM me :cool: )... I have my own views based on my own experience of course..

WaySolid.

WaySolid said:
Aren't you a believer that to take you first have to give? :D

I make my "summary posts" on all the events I attend gladly for the members of Somersoft.

First it's a way of reviewing my initial notes so that I clarify things in my own mind.

Second I believe that an "abundance mentality" is very important. As Jim Rohn says "Give out so that you can receive more"

Cliches aside - I really want to know the singles secrets AR espouses (PM me :cool: )... I have my own views based on my own experience of course..

WaySolid.
WaySolid,

Sorry if my post appeared harsh, it was not meant to be.

I have put a lot of myself in what I have posted already. The weekend was very intensive, and putting some very private feelings on show in public was not easy either.

I don't think it would be fair to Tony, myself or the forum to try to summarise 30 hours of intensive learning in a single post. And, also to be fair, to take one "juicy" part out of context would also be unfair, and sitting by itself out of context, would probably appear a little trite.

His CD summary of the weekend ("Unleash the Power Within") is available for $A145 at http://shop.powwowevents.com.au/site/1/bookstore&pr=1024267&ksr=1&batch=1&batchsize=0 - sometimes it's on special at $99- perhaps even more cheaply form ebay. It's a good way of getting a lot of the lessons without some of the extra bits- though I learnt a LOT more by going than by listening to the CDs. I'm using the CDs now to review some of the main points from the weekend.

geoff, not that i am throwing a negative slant, but i would be interested to see if you could log over the next few months tangible changes you can attribute directly to this weekend...it might be inspiring for all of us....

ws, the abundance mentality is exactly what katherine ponder was espousing back in the 60s. she was inspired by Dale Carnegie, Norman Vincent Peale, Clemente Stone, Earl Nightengale, and Og Mandino . further, around the great depression, there was a few christian evangelists starting to push a consciousness of hope, positive thinking, and positive mental attitude. i.e.

from another site: "Rev. Russell Conwell of Grace Baptist Church in Philadelphia, offered religious motivation tinged with mammon. He became famous for the "Acres of Diamonds" sermon: "I say you ought to be rich; you have no right to be poor." His message linked godliness to material success. The prosperous decades before the Depression were not a bad time to do so."

Prior to the depression, the Theosophical Society espoused such things as "what you place your attention upon you become." they encouraged one to treat negative thought as a thief that comes in to steal from you. they also were the first to bring a philosophy of karma to the modern western world. and hence taught that there was no point ripping off others, as it would come back upon you. The TS were a bunch of metaphysically curious westerners who made a study of eastern philosophy.

One thing these people taught in common was the power of the subconscious and the need to ensure we feed it positivity. There is a lot of consciousness of limitation out there, and it takes a firm will and clear goals to counter the subliminal effect of that. through the years though, some may have got things out of balance....teaching that affirmations and a positive mental attitude will make you a millionaire.... for me, it is not that mechanical.... as I said in a previous post, our big goals have to resonate with something deep within. if they don't, we may eventually achieve any goal, but we will do so dissonantly.

I have been fascinated by the replies to this thread.
As I stated earlier - I am attending the AR convention in London on the 16+17+18 Oct.

My reasons for attending the confrerence are due to recommendation's from friends, colleagues and business contacts. Some of the recommendations have come from very stiff shirted beings who tell me they have changed, prospered and have achieved goals in thier private and business life as a result of tools discovered - How stiff they were prior to the convention must have been a sight..... :confused:

There is a good thread on AR conventions on the www.singingpig.co.uk/ forum - remember this site is full of Poms who bicker and bitch at the drop of a hat, seems quite a few on the forum had breakthoughs in thinking after the AR convention.

I have a few issues that cause me problems - the opportunity to remove them and unleash energy is just what I am looking for from the convention.

Will keep you guys posted on somersoft .... I'l be starting a thread called "breaking balls" - a step by step experience of attending an AR convention...al donations gratefully received :rolleyes:

Geoff
Thanks for sharing your experience at the AR weekend. I think it's great that when you were confronted by experiences you were uncomfortable in partaking, you had the guts to face them. Even though you started to walk away you came back and were willing to address them. IMHO that is what would have made the weekend for me. That's walking the talk and recognising that we aren't all perfect and seeking change proactively.

Maybe your wife will benefit in a big way from you attending the seminar :D
At least you have and so have we by your willing to share.

Thank you for your insight.

Ecogirl

GeoffW, you are AWESOME !!!!!

Geoff, I just want to pay tribute to you for selling me your spare Anthony Robbins ticket extremely cheaply and for sitting with me all weekend.

You are the best !!!!!!

While I have Tony Robbins Tapes and books, I got a lot more out of him live but also had some of the misgivings you had but I had decided before I arrived that I was going to scream and yell and all that American style stuff and be a part of it all cos I would not be going any further with it ("all I need is within me now".....hehe).

When the major intervention sessions was done on late Sunday afternoon and people started crying all around us, I was smuggly thinking about how, generally happy my life has been and how I had absolutely nothing to cry about. It was disconcerting because some people were screaming and crying loudly, really distraught and we were not allowed to comfort them.

About the seminar overall, I found most of it interesting but did not attend the Monday session as, generally believing in a low carbohydrate diet, I do not follow Tony's view on diet even remotely (he is vegan plus fish).

In all, considering what I paid for the ticket, an absolute bargain but you need stamina (absolutely hours of jumping up and down and screaming), you need to be able to suspend disbelief (and any dislike of Americans....hehe) and you also need warm clothes as Tony does not allow the auditorium to be heated above 15 degrees....I froze all weekend and am now home in bed with the flu.

so, again, thanks for the experience Geoff, I'm so glad I went...........

Back