Melbourne Market - 10-15 km

I went to 20 auctions last 2 months around Manningham area. All sold much above the advertised price to Chinese buyers. It seems very hard to compete with them.

Then I talked to the agent, which only do private sale. All normal houses (not on the main road, rectangular block of land) can be sold within a day. I can't even get a chance to inspect it.

Manningham is tough at the moment. Hardly any development stock. Very frustrating!!:mad:

Oscar

On the other side of the CBD in Carlton, Nth Melb, Parkville, Clifton Hill, Carlton North, Fitzroy North competition is intense at auctions. 5-6 bidder at every auction taking prices around 30% above top end of advertised range - and this is every auction I've been to with no exception.

This property sold on the weekend for $567k.

Unique Heritage building converted 1 bedder with parking and courtyard.

Quote was $440-480. As Delta says above, 5 bidders or so, pretty fierce.

Just one example.

Where I live in booroondara, prices did fall about 15%, but have now not only recovered the original loss but exceeded those prices.

At auctions there are several genuine bidders.

Huss

city of boroondara

I would have to agree with Tigerboy.
We purchased our home in November 2008 in Hawthorn during the GFC.
We paid $1.5 for our home.
This year we have seen smaller homes and in worse condition than ours sell for more than what we paid.
We also had our home valued for $1.8-$1.9 in this market by a local agent who is also a friend.
One thing I have noticed with living in boroondara is when priced do come down they do but come back with vengeance.

On the day, at the moment of auction, the reserve is either in the range or it is not. Generally it is.

What areas are you talking about? This is in contrast to my experiences of auctions in many of Melbourne's popular auction suburbs. There are a number of agents whose standard practice is to blatantly under-quote the selling price. Sometimes the under-quote is the advertised range online and sometimes the advertising just says 'Contact agent' but when buyers enquire, they are told the low range. I agree with Jake that the agents have all sorts of excuses and lies for why the reserve was higher than expected.

One of many examples last weekend was this apartment http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-richmond-114062903 which was advertised for $420-450k. It passed in for $425k but had a reserve of $489k.

It's similar to the typical excuse of not having the Section 32 available until a week or 2 prior to the auction.

What areas are you talking about? This is in contrast to my experiences of auctions in many of Melbourne's popular auction suburbs. There are a number of agents whose standard practice is to blatantly under-quote the selling price. Sometimes the under-quote is the advertised range online and sometimes the advertising just says 'Contact agent' but when buyers enquire, they are told the low range. I agree with Jake that the agents have all sorts of excuses and lies for why the reserve was higher than expected.

One of many examples last weekend was this apartment http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-richmond-114062903 which was advertised for $420-450k. It passed in for $425k but had a reserve of $489k.

It's similar to the typical excuse of not having the Section 32 available until a week or 2 prior to the auction.

Agreed, selling agents are deceptive posc. How can one abertise at that price point and then magically the reserve price jumps 50 grand. Taking the ****

The one I bought advertised for $580-620, end up paying $770. Asked the agent what was the reserve price, he said $780. Sounds like I got a bargain.:rolleyes:

Just bought a PPOR. We were looking at 2BR single fronted terraces you couldn't swing a cat in in Brunswick/East/West earlier in the year for 600s-700s, and every single property without fail was going for a minimum of 10% over the top end of the quoted range. For a while we just added 10-15% of the price onto every place we looked at and then decided to move on.

We ended up buying a much bigger house/land in Coburg for around the same price - about 2kms down the road. In Coburg, our experience was there was no pattern in terms of the % over the quoted sales price that the property would sell for. Sometimes -5%, sometimes 10%. Some good bargains depending on whose there on the day.

Hopefully we get the ripple effect!

Back