Microsoft Vista

Ha ha Mark that site is a good laugh.

The new puter is coming on Monday complete with Vista. I'll have a play with Vista, but will probably end up wiping it and installing XP instead. Really not interested in bells and whistles that needs so much RAM to operate.

Cheers

Ha ha Mark that site is a good laugh.

The new puter is coming on Monday complete with Vista. I'll have a play with Vista, but will probably end up wiping it and installing XP instead. Really not interested in bells and whistles that needs so much RAM to operate.

I spoke to a guy yesterday who just got Vista on his machine, and he wasn't impressed with it at all. He noted it is an excessive resource hog, and even with 1 GB of RAM, he could only run a few programs at once.

He also noted how "in your face" Vista is. "Do you really want to do this?", "This may be a security risk. Continue?", messages everywhere. Ugh...

I like my Mac. :)

about the resource hog vista:

do you think its a conspiracy to increase hardware requirements so that more processor chips and graphics chips can be sold? as we chug along, no one really needs extreme speeds and memory except for gamers / graphic artists. so with vista, you have to upgrade.

It does sound as though MS is in conspiracy with PC manufacturers to make people basically replace their whole system in order to upgrade to a new OS - in the long run I think this sort of scheme will cost them profits as people who can't afford a whole new system won't buy the new OS.

Has anyone seen the Mac ads that are running on TV right now - they really take the p*** of PC and Vista and I think star Keanu Reeves as Mac and some Bill Gates lookalike as PC/Microsoft.

I would really love a Mac, but finances don't stretch that far.

Cheers

An off topic question for Mac users, sorry.

Got some mal-ware on my OsX. (Thought I was bullet-proof :mad: ) Can I re-install os simply or must it be a complete new installation with all apps re-installed? If so, is Panther much of an improvement for a low end user?

Got some mal-ware on my OsX. (Thought I was bullet-proof :mad: ) Can I re-install os simply or must it be a complete new installation with all apps re-installed? If so, is Panther much of an improvement for a low end user?
What makes you think you have malware? BTW, Panther is 3 1/2 years old.

Last edited:

Re-installing the OS will most likely have little effect, as it won't remove the problem. You need an anti-virus or similar product to clean up the problem. A low level format will also fix just about anything :) but this probably isn't the easiest solution.

OsX is not bullet proof, there are plenty of bugs in the software - like any complex software it's not perfect. There are also plenty of exploits, virus's, hacks, spyware programs, etc. The reason you don't hear about it, is because Microsoft is a bigger target. It's possible to write a virus for any system which can load software, even your mobile phone.

BTW, I run a 2G RAM XP machine. The 2Gig of RAM makes it run smooth as silk compared to 1 Gig.

I would recommend against installing Anti-virus software on a mac. It is unlikely you are infected with malware. No such thing has been detected "in the wild" that infects OS X.

Last edited:
OK - here is an update now that I have been living with Vista for a week or two...

My recommendation - DON"T GET IT!!!!

I have been living in a world of pain. I can't load any of my existing programs that I have on CD onto the computer that are older than Vista ie Office 2000,
and I can't get my registered software from my laptop onto the new computer. It won't load any software which has been copied even if I do have the registration key. The built in email package is in conflict with Optusmail and their help desk doesn't yet have any modem drivers for Vista and they don't give any support for it either, so I can't send email, but I can receive it!?!?

I can't get rid of it either - it simply will not let me boot up from a CD and format C drive. Won't let me load XP over the top either. It is like a nasty relative who has come to visit and just won't leave!

On the upside, it has really pretty colours...

"Vista is undeniably cool and undeniably important," Rudolph said.

Hahahahaaha, that guy must live on a planet far far away where inhabitants there think people on Earth think Microsoft products are good.

Seriously, I haven't spoken to one single person who thinks Vista isn't crap.

Mark

No problems running everything on my PC
Had to update the Cisco VPN client software and thats about it

Yeah well I probably wouldn't have any problems running all my software if it were legal, but it's not. I know I shouldn't complain and it should serve me right and all that but well, it's a pain anyway :mad:

The most annoying issue is that the bundled email program that was created specifically for Vista - Windows Mail has issues with the Optusnet outgoing mail STMP server so I can't send email with Vista on the computer, although I can receive it.

I have yet to see how my key generator for Photoshop CS2 will get along with Vista. If they don't there will be a real problem because the whole reason for buying a new more powerful computer was to run CS2 easily.

If everything on your computer is legal, you shouldn't have too many problems, but I would hate to have to try and upgrade an XP or older based computer.

I'll echo Merovingian here - oh those poor poor people who aren't allowed to use Vista :p

I think it's about time Microsoft renamed the program to better reflect what it really is.

It should be called Microsoft DRM, with bundled Windows support.

GP

Back