Missing Malaysia airline.

Nothing but previously when flying, I always thought of safety in terms of the plane itself (i.e. that it's well maintained, etc) but with some of the stories coming out now, it seems that you need to have a level of trust with the crew as well which gives it a weirder dynamic. Probably a bit irrational but just some initial thoughts.

We're going in business class though, which is exciting :p

Again, what do these stories about Malaysia airlines crew have to do with etihad crew?

So everybody flies Qantas to avoid any airlines which might be run by muslims or have muslim crew? Hmmm?

Doesn't Qantas have a code share agreement with Emirates?

You fly on a plane you take risks. Qantas may be perceived to be the safest airline in the world, but their maintenance will still be picked up by the lowest tender and I'm sure all suppliers have had the hard word from Mr Joyce to trim their costs recently.

Attrill

Yes Qantas have changed to the share agreement with Emirates which I believe is unsuccessful.

If I want to fly Emirates, I will choose Emirates.

I believe the Singapore and Hong Kong stopovers were far more successful than the Dubai stop.

Emirates is a great airline but if I am choosing to fly Qantas why am I being offloaded to Emirates? The fares are not always the same.

I think it is only a matter of a short time before we see the demise of the Irish man at Qantas.

Just my opinion ... and we are all allowed one :)

Chris

AN ANTI-TERROR expert says flight MH370 could have been hijacked using a mobile phone or USB stick.

Dr Sally Leivesley, a former scientific adviser in Britain?s Home Office, floated the extraordinary theory in an interview with the Sunday Express. Dr Leivesley now runs a company which trains businesses and governments to counter terrorist attacks.

?It might well be the world?s first cyber hijack,? Dr Leivesley said.

?It is looking more and more likely that the control of some systems was taken over in a deceptive manner, either manually, so someone sitting in a seat overriding the autopilot, or via a remote device turning off or overwhelming the systems.

?A mobile phone could have been used to do so, or a USB stick.?

Dr Leivesley said a hacker could potentially change the plane?s altitude, speed and direction by sending radio signals to its flight management system. She claimed the threat was exposed at a science conference in China last year.

?What we are finding now is that it is possible with a mobile phone to initiate a signal to a preset piece of malicious software, or malware, in the computer that initiates a whole set of instructions,? Dr Leivesley told the Express.

?It is possible for hackers, be they part of organised crime or with government backgrounds, to get into the main computer network of the plane through the in-flight, on-board entertainment system.?

Last April, security expert and former pilot Hugo Teso claimed a plane could be hijacked using an Android smartphone. He created an app called PlaneSpoilt to demonstrate the theory.

?You can use this system to modify approximately everything related to the navigation of the plane,? Mr Teso said at a security conference in Amsterdam.

from
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...g-a-mobile-phone/story-fnizu68q-1226856570824

From a number of articles it appears as though the pilot may be responsible - but not from a fundamentalist perspective from a number of "sources say" type articles

http://www.smh.com.au/world/camera-...clearing-airport-security-20140317-hvjh0.html

Which all reads as proof of fundamentalism. But only if you know nothing about Malaysian politics.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...pported_anwar_ibrahim_was_he_a_terrorist.html

Most moderate, believers in democracy in Malaysia also support Anwar Ibrahim. A very moderate voice that gets locked up on Sodomy charges every time there is an election.

Nothing but previously when flying, I always thought of safety in terms of the plane itself (i.e. that it's well maintained, etc) but with some of the stories coming out now, it seems that you need to have a level of trust with the crew as well which gives it a weirder dynamic. Probably a bit irrational but just some initial thoughts.

Of course you trust the skill of the pilot although most of the time it is auto-pilot for the plane's course.

We're going in business class though, which is exciting :p

Have fun! Once you go business it's hard to go back to coach.

I've flown Etihad a few times (only in economy cause I'm tight) and have always been impressed with service etc etc.

Very good value airline IMO

AN ANTI-TERROR expert says flight MH370 could have been hijacked using a mobile phone or USB stick.

Dr Sally Leivesley, a former scientific adviser in Britain?s Home Office, floated the extraordinary theory in an interview with the Sunday Express. Dr Leivesley now runs a company which trains businesses and governments to counter terrorist attacks.

?It might well be the world?s first cyber hijack,? Dr Leivesley said.

?It is looking more and more likely that the control of some systems was taken over in a deceptive manner, either manually, so someone sitting in a seat overriding the autopilot, or via a remote device turning off or overwhelming the systems.

?A mobile phone could have been used to do so, or a USB stick.?

Dr Leivesley said a hacker could potentially change the plane?s altitude, speed and direction by sending radio signals to its flight management system. She claimed the threat was exposed at a science conference in China last year.

?What we are finding now is that it is possible with a mobile phone to initiate a signal to a preset piece of malicious software, or malware, in the computer that initiates a whole set of instructions,? Dr Leivesley told the Express.

?It is possible for hackers, be they part of organised crime or with government backgrounds, to get into the main computer network of the plane through the in-flight, on-board entertainment system.?

Last April, security expert and former pilot Hugo Teso claimed a plane could be hijacked using an Android smartphone. He created an app called PlaneSpoilt to demonstrate the theory.

?You can use this system to modify approximately everything related to the navigation of the plane,? Mr Teso said at a security conference in Amsterdam.

from
http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...g-a-mobile-phone/story-fnizu68q-1226856570824

This is like science fiction to me, quite frightening.

My partner is both IT (software) expert + lots of experience as plane passenger (small planes as well as big ones). He has always been wary of the big fly-by-computer ones for this very reason and is getting more worried this last week.

He has a mate who is one of Aust's better software engineers and has seen how easy it is to hack into big 4 bank systems. The prospect of remote hacking/hijacking has not been really considered until now but maybe the authorities need to get smart.

Also I note pilots are now saying the sudden veer west/ascend to 45,000 maneouvre would be a good way to disable the crew and passengers.

Curiouser and curiouser.

No idea what would/could have happened to this flight. A lot of countries have been embarrassed by this if the new flight paths are accurate. It is not exactly a small aircraft designed to evade detection......

Would be interesting to see if JORN was in operation and if any information could be extracted from that. Would be able to narrow the search area down significantly and exclude the SW arc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_Operational_Radar_Network

Another "out there" theory backed up with some facts is that the plane was able to get through the airspace of India, Pakistan and Afghanistan by "shadowing" another aircraft, sitting just above and behind it and only showing up as a single blip on radar.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68-sq68

It just so happens that SQ68 flying from Singapore to Barcelona was in the air at the exact time, location and heading where the Malaysian plane was last detected west of the Malaysian peninsular. I've flown on SQ68 before, it goes straight over Afghanistan and Turkmenistan.

Yes terrorists stole the plane even though half the world is looking for it, drop your phone in the middle of the ocean and tell me if you can still locate it?

Shadowing...it isn't a hollywood movie as much as people love to make it out to be.

Apparently Rupert Murdoch posted on social media saying that he thinks terrorists stole the plane and flew it to Pakistan :p

Going by the amount of dumb stuff he says on his twitter account I'm still not convinced it isn't a parody account.

If it's not then it's really quite scary how much power he has.

Back