mission brown :-(

Hi folks,
Im looking at a dark brick house which i was going to render with a 'cherie barber grey' except its got mission brown windows. Has anyone used a render colour to suit the beautiful mission brown or have any ideas on this one? I thought about removing windows powder coating and refitting but it might be too costly. Might be a deal breaker for me...
Thoughts?

Recoat

Consider recoating over the mission brown window frames in black using spray can(s) or small artist-type roller (ie 10-20mm wide sponge type). It will be fiddly with masking etc but if the alloy windows are in good condition it will be a lot cheaper and simpler alternative to replacement.

If you want to go light colour it will require multiple coats

I have read about this being done previously, but not sure which site.

Whoever invented mission brown should have been shot.:(

Whoever invented mission brown should have been shot.:(

Nice to see you around here again Joe.

I agree on this and I notice a disturbing similarity in recent times to "chocolate" colours in interior design. We should have at least learnt something from Mission Brown...

Yes, yes, yes I agree what is it with the rebirth of brown???
Moyjos the business on that link look like the go, but I'm in NSW. I'll do some searching for something similar down this way.

Has anyone else had experience renovating houses with Mission Brown windows?

i have mission brown windows, i just painted over them in "traditional" antique white. did it in 2 coats no worries.

There's a product you can buy that acts as an undercoat paint for aluminium so you can then paint over it. If I get time tonight I'll have a look around for the name of it.

Piece of cake

Scuff them back wth a scotch bright pad, mask up the glass and then paint them with with a spray can. black would look good;)

Hi AllGood, Regardless of whether they're 'in' or 'out', it sounds as though you're stuck with them!

Re-coating them is a good idea if you have the budget (and those guys moyjos has suggested are a great company). However, it can be a costly option (probably $500+ per window - both inside and outside faces).

Depending on the rest of the exterior, a great paint colour will detract from them.

Here is a photo of one of my first renovations which had mission brown windows. As you can see, they weren't the end of the world once the reno was completed.

http://www.hotspaceconsultants.com/sneak-peak/64-alford-street

BEFORE
Alford%20Street%20-%20BEFORE_Big.jpg

AFTER
Alford%20Street%20Exterior%20-%20AFTER_Big.jpg

Another trick is to install wooden blinds (white or timber) to the interior face of the windows which will help conceal the window joinery from the inside.

Hope that helps!

here is a before and after of mine. im happy i got rid of my mission brown, such a bad colour. cheers

BEFORE

AFTER

Back