Mobile dishwashers

Sim

Administrator
I just thought I'd share something I discovered recently about dishwashers.

The Dishlex range of dishwashers have an optional "mobile" kit which you can fit to allow them to be truely freestanding - that is, you do not have to build them in and bolt them to the floor like you do with normal dishwashers.

We rent a unit, and there is no dishwasher - and no space to install one. I looked at benchtop dishwashers and found that they were too small for what we wanted and apparently do not do as good a job with washing as full sized dishwashers do.

From the Dishlex website (http://www.dishlex.com.au/) ...

DWKM04:

A conversion kit for mobile or freestanding applications to suit Dishlex "A" series only. The kit contains a back panel, counterbalance, 2 castor assemblies and intruction pack which contains instruction sheets, washers, nuts, screws, cable clamps and tap connector assembly.

Cool huh ?

Took me a little while to install the conversion kit (I'm sure the store would have sent someone to do it for me if I'd been willing to pay - but the instructions were (mostly) really well explained - so it was simple enough to do it myself.

And it works perfectly... we have a nice dishwasher sized gap between the fridge and the door, and we just dump the dirty dishes in there as we use them. Then when we've got a full load, we wheel it over to the sink, connect it to the tap (very simple), plug it in, choose the cycle type and away it goes. When we've finished, we disconnect it, the hoses and power cord get hidden out of the way in the back panel, and then wheel it back to it's space out of the way.

It actually works better than I ever expected it would.

I had an idea though, that this may be something that could be offered to tenants easily without having to renovate part of the kitchen to fit it. If you have space to store it when out of the way, then you could offer them a dishwasher - potentially increasing the rent value of your property. Next time I'm inspecting my properties I'm going to check out whether there is room for a freestanding mobile dishwasher and if so, see if my tenants would be willing to pay extra for one.

I think the cheapest Dishlex model is about $770 or so, and the top of the range can be bought for $1090. The mobile kit comes in at somewhere near $150.

Mobile kitchen cabinets

Good find Sim. There are several benefits associated with a mobile d/w. If you are renting you can take it with you when you move. If you are selling you don't have to include it in the contract. Your post also reminded me about an old idea of installing mobile kitchen cabinets in an IP. By doing that an investor shall be able to claim depreciation at a higher rate (same as for general furniture) rather than 2.5%. Has anybody actually done that?

Say cheese :p

Lotana

Sim,

I'd be interested to know the depreciation implications (if any) of a removable dishwasher vs a non-removable.

I've heard it said that removable kitchen benches are treated differently than fixed, because they're no longer part of the "plant". I don't even know if this is correct.

Hi

They should both be claimed in the same way as there is no difference (for tax reasons) between a free standing unit and a fixed unit. Sorry. Right idea though . . .

Have fun

Dale

Decline in value

A dishwasher has an effective life of 10 years if acquired after 1 July 2004.

There is no distinction between fixed or free-standing/mobile dishwashers.

This info is taken from "Rental Properties 2006-07" from the ATO.

http://ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/00096828.htm&page=25#P1043_94839

Open the link and do a search for "dishwashers" (without the quotes - of course)

Column 2 shows the effective life of an asset if acquired prior to 1 July 2004.
(Own estimate)

Column 3 shows the effective life of an asset if acquired after 1 July 2004.
(10 years)

Cheers, Ross

Back