More Brisbane advice please

I don't think the Mansfield one is sub dividable. The East Brisbane one above would have been a good buy.

True, D_one, the Wishart one is not sub-dividable. But it might have good capital gain in the future as Asians, particularly the Chinese and Indians want to be in the Mansfield Secondary School Catchment area to send their kids there. Land value alone is 285K - 300K. There's room to bargain down from 449K IMO. It might be a good buy and hold.

I know there are keen Chinese buyers AND renters in this locality

There's a house for rent - 28 Anise Street Wishart,
28 is a very auspicious number for the Chinese
This is what it states in the rental advert

Highset Brick Home with Outstanding Views

DUE TO THE HIGH NUMBERS OF PEOPLE INTRESTED PLEASE REGISTER YOUR DEATILS FOR AN INSPECTION - INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND YOU WILL BE CALLED WITH THE NEXT INSPECTION DATE:

lol that's hilarious.

Is that hard to do? I imagine there would be a lot of red tape involved.

I don't know how hard it is but I recall hearing this either happening, or the possibility discussed twice when my mother was selling houses and the Chinese buyers loved the house but not the street number.

They will possibly apply to have the number changed to 2A. This happens a bit.

They don't even have to do that. There are two ways of writing the number 4, one of them is very similar to the Chinese symbol for death and the other has no implications. Sorry, can't remember which is which.
Marg

Spent most of the weekend researching Brisbane properties. It looks like that $450 - $500k won't buy to much in the inner suburbs either. Well simular properties that $250 - $300 at Logan, Goodna, etc anyway. Just wondering am I too late? Heading down Thursday afternoon for some on the ground research. Hopefully find a diamond or two.

Last edited:
Spent most on the weekend researching Brisbane properties. It looks like that $450 - $500k won't buy to much in the inner suburbs either. Well simular properties that $250 - $300 at Logan, Goodna, etc anyway. Just wondering am I too late? Heading down Thursday afternoon for some on the ground research. Hopefully find a diamond or two.

You may be too late as you are right, there is not much available within 5 km from Brisbane CBD if that's how you define inner suburbs.

Thoughts on this one, close to the city? http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-enoggera-115908895 apparently $450 -$500 pw?

That is the sort of houses we've always bought, but in much better condition that what we've bought.

The price seems good for what you get, but of course, that would be because it is, as rightly highlighted in the listing... "close to transport" :p. Right next to transport (Samford Road).

Though, if it was one street back, it would likely be $100K more.

Thoughts on this one, close to the city? http://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-enoggera-115908895 apparently $450 -$500 pw?

Hi Jenko, I probably know Enoggera as well as my home suburb now, as I've recently purchased there. This place is on the corner of Norman Terrace - we looked at a place with 4 units in Norman Terrace, but was really put off by the big development taking place behind it - didn't stop it going for a pretty high price however.

This place has that development next door and you can see it in the second picture. My understanding is that it is storage for the army barracks - but it is one of the biggest industrial developments I've seen.

Samford Road is also being upgraded right at this point - so you would want a big discount to buy a place like this. There are a couple of better options around I think.

Believe it or not, I saw a news while ago, in which a house had had fire three times. Guess what the street number the house had? 444 (the same pronunciation as death, death, death in Chinese)

Last edited:
Everytime I do the math on subdividing and selling/developing the numbers don't stack up. Might do in a VERY expensive suburb but in the $500K price range, you're better off doing nothing and holding on to the land with the view that it'll appreciate faster than a smaller parcel of non-subdividable land.

Numbers may work if you can keep the house though but that's very rarely the case ie house normally plonked right in middle or breaches the boundary of a minimum lot by 20% or something.

Everytime I do the math on subdividing and selling/developing the numbers don't stack up. Might do in a VERY expensive suburb but in the $500K price range, you're better off doing nothing and holding on to the land with the view that it'll appreciate faster than a smaller parcel of non-subdividable land.

Numbers may work if you can keep the house though but that's very rarely the case ie house normally plonked right in middle or breaches the boundary of a minimum lot by 20% or something.

Expand your search then

You won't make a profit subdividing in a hot market

Finally here! Snooping around Redcliffes today but from all reports from the 10 or so property agents a called yesterday the boat is now on the horizon for the lower priced potentially positive geared properties. I would have to go up a price bracket now then the return falls away quite considerably. Prices have already taken off I just wonder how much growth I have missed out on and how much there is still to come? I'm not liking the idea of holding negatively geared property but potential CG could be worth the pain.
Tomorrow I'm moving on to Brisbane. ;)

Jenko, are you looking south side? I am looking in the 450-500K rnage and have found a lot of good properties within 10k to city.

Try Holland Park, Mt Gravatt, Mt Gravatt East, Tarragindi, Moorooka - also occasionally Coorparoo around $500 for something basic.

Jenko, are you looking south side? I am looking in the 450-500K rnage and have found a lot of good properties within 10k to city.

Try Holland Park, Mt Gravatt, Mt Gravatt East, Tarragindi, Moorooka - also occasionally Coorparoo around $500 for something basic.
What return do you get for $500k?

Just spent half a day in Red Cliffs then headed over to Woodridge for a look. Now I know there to go to pick up free lounge!

Just spent half a day in Red Cliffs then headed over to Woodridge for a look. Now I know there to go to pick up free lounge!

Will be curious to see what an non-local thinks of Woodridge. Anyone like me that's lived in SE Brisbane for long enough may have a bias view of the area.

Back